installing the HPS setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ganja*man, May 5, 2008.

1. hi!

what should i know before buying and installing the 400w hps bulb in my grow area? how high it should be[grow area] if i ll put hps? what about cooling and temperature[wont be too hot in there?]

i remember that i saw one good thread about hps setup[how to make reflector/cooling etc]

just want to make new setup,because im tired to put so many cfl bulbs in my grow box. :)

p.s - as english is my second language,i dont understand what is ballast? it is really necessary for 250 or 400w hps bulb? i cant just put the bulb in ceramic lamp base? please somebody explain me about it,cuz i need to decide what to do with lighting..

2. With HPS heat mite be a problem. Always have an intake fan and an outtake fan. I usually put the light as low as I can where my temps do not go over 84F.

You must have a ballast no ifs or ands. No you can not plug it in to a normal socket. Hps is a lot larger.

3. when ever your using energy in a bulb that is as powerful as MH or HPS
    you need a device to limit the amount of current in the electrical circuit.
    the ballast is the device hooked up to the actual socket for the bulb.

it regulates the energy flow to the light to be safe and ensure stability.

[​IMG]

4. Keep it as close to ur plants without burning them, this will give you some nice bushy plants with tightly spaced nodes. You will probably be able to have it 1-2 feet away from your plants. Also remember that if you get any water on your bulb it will explode like shrapnel, so always be careful with that. Heat shouldn't be to big of a concern, as long as it isnt consistently 90+ degrees in there. This is pretty obvious, but the bulb gets rediculously hot, so be careful not to bump into it. I did this once, accidently bumping my thumb on it, and it instantly seared it and a blister formed. I couldn't imagine accidently bumping your head or neck into it, and i've had close calls with that to.:D

5. ok,then i should use ballast only for mh or hps bulbs,yes? and if im using about 10-15x22w cfl bulbs,i dont need to use that thing?

6. the amount of voltage in your CFL's will be enough for your circuit to ground and flow stable without a regulator. you will have to use a ballast on ANY light that pulls that much current