Insomnia :(

Discussion in 'General' started by puffpuffpass333, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Recently (a few months ago) I quit smoking cigarettes. i use an ecig to supplement my nicotine. As a side effect (i believe) of quitting real cigarettes I now have insomnia.

I either can't fall asleep or i wake up for no reason (not because i have to use the bathroom or its too hot/cold etc. just because) and then i cant fall back to sleep.

in the last 3 days ive slept 12 hours. its terrible. im tired all day and get my "2nd wind" when night falls then i cant sleep then the process repeats. im dying here!

before i quit smoking cigarettes i would almost always (95%+ of time) fall asleep within 5 mins of my head hitting the pillow and sleep 7 hrs or so effortlessly.

now its a struggle.

im pretty sure its a chemical in the cigarettes that helped with sleep because nothing else in my life has changed since i quit and thats when the issues started.

im new to insomnia what do i do???? (and dont say fall asleep!!! )

2. If you smoked 1 cigarette a night would that help?

3. i dont wanna sound like a pu$$y but im too scared to try it. im scared because i might become dependent again (to sleep or otherwise just plain old hooked). the ecig does its job. i dont feel the urge to smoke a cig for the sake of smoking it.

im sure that eventually the insomnia will subside with time but its been a few months and im going nuts. im desperate to find a way to get my sleep back on track.

btw i AM smoking indicas before bed and sometimes it works but other times it doesn't (like last night! grrr)

so thats why im here. what else can be done? or what works for my fellow toker insomniacs

4. probably from the habit of smoking. just smoke a joint before bed. the weed will help you sleep plus you will go through the motions of smoking a cig. and if you quit months ago and just now started having sleep issues its probably unrelated.

ive suffered from insomia my whole life and i have yet to find a cure other than weed. try a sativa. sometimes they work better than indicas.

5. Smoke a OG indica ... Or some hash or some earwax that shit puts you out .... You won't wake up til morning and whn you do wake up ... You will be able to go back to sleep instantly ...

6. I'm an insomniac and it's Terrable there's a few things that can help though like melitonin a 100% natural safe supplement that causes your brain to make hormones that induce sleep you could also try perscriptions there's a ton of them out there at least one should work you could also try getting up earlier and exercise during the day or one thing that has helped me is to stay up all night till like 10pm the next day you'll fall asleep faster and it can help change sleep patterns

7. your body feels dependent on the nicotine i guess to sleep? it became a routine kinda like some people smoke in the morning to take a shit or wake up. just take some melatonin or drink some non caffine tea.slowly wing off the stoges while you can, if you can.

8. Welcome to the club.

[​IMG]

But seriously, I'm a huge insomniac. Always have had problems sleeping.

You're insomnia is just because of your withdrawls from ciggs, so it should pass in a few weeks.

In the mean time, try getting some sleepy time tea. it's soothing and helps calm me and helps me sleep sometime.

Don't drink or eat anything for a few hours before you go to bed.

And also, I'm not a fan of pills.. but there are a few over the counter sleep aids you can buy.

9. this heavy indicas will put me to bed right away, and get me 9 hours - 10 hours sleep.

non-marijuana solution is melatonin take 10mg of it and you're out for 8-10 hours also.

10. Buy some melatonin (its OTC in the US). Your body synthesises it in the evening, when it gets dark.

it wont put you to sleep. It will just help you readjust your sleeping cycle.

I had insomnia in puberty. I took melatonin for the first time and I slept for 14 hours straight. I was that tired xD

11. I don't really mind my insomnia. I've had it now for around 6 years or so. It started in high school and just never stopped. I have a strange cycle though. Every night I'll sleep 3 to 4 hours for about 2 weeks. Then for a couple days, my body will just kind of shut down and I'll get about 8-9 hours of sleep. After those couple days, I go back to the 3 to 4 hour deal every night again.

I've become used to the cycle, but not my schedule. When those 3 to 4 hours happen is so sporadic. Some days I go to bed at 10pm, other days (like today) I'm still awake at 6am and don't know when I'll actually get sleep.

I haven't tried melatonin, so I can't speak for it. I don't really like to use any sort of remedy or medication if I can avoid it. However, I know plenty of people who recommend it. All I've learned is that it's best not to use it everyday. Chronic use will dampen it's effects over time and you'll begin to consume too much of it. Try to make it like an every other day thing or only when needed.

Things that sometimes work for me are reading (sometimes I get the opposite effect if the book or whatever is good), a drink or two an hour before I want to sleep, or doing something boring like watching a tv show I've seen a dozen times (and don't really care for) or playing games like solitaire. If I can become bored enough, I can generally fall asleep.

12. you have to violently masturbate til you pass the fuck out.....works every time.

13. case proven. went to bed 230AM last night woke up 930AM fully refreshed (didn't smoke weed, thus it only took 7 hours to be refreshed). If I smoked like usual before bed I'd be asleep til noon.

14. lol @ some of these comments.

thank you to everyone who replied.

maybe i should give more background...
    i wake up @ 7a monday-friday and when i go to sleep/get up doesnt matter on the weekends.. during the week i go to bed @ midnight.

so i set myself up for 7 hours of sleep a night if everything goes right like it use to.

i would get into bed earlier to combat the time it takes to sleep/stay asleep BUT my schedule is so busy going to bed any earlier isnt likely. i work full time and go to school full time so my schedule is very limited in terms of flexibility.

i work out TWICE per day 5 days per week. nothing crazy but i workout a total of an hour to an hour and a half during those 5 days.

i dont drink much. maybe ill have a (yes only 1) drink each day on the weekend but thats it. i drink only 1 cup of coffee every morning (none in the afternoon or night) and i drink 1 or 2 diet sodas a day max. other than that only thing i put in my body is food and lots of mj lol. i probably smoke 3 times daily. once in the morning (wake and bake!) again in the early evening (5-6pm) and once a little while before bed (10:30-11pm) and i try to sleep on the come down when im most sleepy (i smoke indica b4 bed only. sativa dom's during the day.

so yeah. just thought id make that clear. im far from just being lazy and thats why i cant sleep. im actually overworked or thats how i feel. maybe stress is a factor too?

15. also i try not to eat much junk food. i havent eaten fast food in years (micky d's, bk, wendys, jack in the box, taco bell, etc) and i try to eat healthy as i can given my budget and other factors.

i eat things like yogurt, multigrain cheerios (really good 4 u), fruit, veggies, fish, hot sauce (supposed to have health benefits i put it on a lot of different foods...hottest i can get my hands on) etc. i drink actual fruit juice (like v8 which is 100% juice) or organic/health food brands i cant remember.

i drink also drink 2+ liters of water daily.

16. #16 Thessentials, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
    If you aren't busy you should just try to stay up as long as possible. Then make sure you fall asleep once the desired time rolls around again. Works for me when my sleep schedule gets fucked.

PS. If you want to solve this with drugs I'd recommend getting a script for remeron.

17. I have a hard time sleeping constantly. When I came home from afghanistan, they gave me a scrip for ambien. DO NOT TAKE IT!! it made me sleep walk, sleep cook, and sleep steal random shit. Theres also the perverted snow angel story. I once woke up and my car was weighed way down in the trunk. im like WTF? I was affraid to open it, I thought it was a body or something. Turned out I stole a trunk full of bricks. Who steals bricks? where did I even steal them from??

onto the advice section. I try meditation. I take melatonin, and tylenol PM. I meditate for a few hours, preferabbly with my comfort scent (clean linen), and listen to soft relaxing music. Then I just let my mind take me, wherever it takes me. I usually pass right out after. Most insomnia comes from unresolved issues. like sometimes issues we didnt even know we had.