Inside At Night Sunshine During The Day?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BanjoMitch, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Has anyone tried putting seedlings outside during the day to get the sunlight and then under cfl lights for the night time? I want to do this for 2 seedlings I have but don't want to cause any problems. I didn't know if the switch in lights was bad for them? I only have 1 ballast and I have a female under the HPS on 12/12 so I can't put them in there. I have a small box lined with Mylar and 100 watts cfl light mounted. The seedlings are in there now but I figured nothing is better than this florida sunshine.

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

2. I recently did that due to another plants lighting schedule. The two days I did it were really very sunny and for me it seemed to stunt progress. I'm personally never gonna do it again but that's just my experience.

3. #3 BanjoMitch, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    Hmmm alright thanks for the input. Do you have "good" sun there? I figured the super Intense sun would be better than 50watts of cfl per plant? Maybe 50watta is all they need.
    I guess it does come with much higher temps and humidity as well though. Hmmmm decisions decisions.

4. Yeah def good sun especially those two days. And I felt the same way about the sunlight , figured they'd love a good sunbath my tomatos love the spot so I did it and had negative results. That's just me tho and the particular seedlings. Didn't really make sense to me but it seemed to stunt growth by three days at least.

5. Well ill just leave then under the cfls for now I should be able to finish up the one that's in flower now in enough time to veg the 2 under MH for a good bit of time before they need to flower.

6. When I first grew I did this. Now I do it on a larger scale. For instance Im vegging some clones while waiting for flowers to finish. So I leave the clones under hps for 12 hours a day, then put them by a window at night (since the flowers are on 12/12)

In the morning the plants get 6 hours of sunlight before I put them back into the flower room when lights come on and pull them back out each night as lights go off. I could put them under cfls at night but I want the clones to remain small, which is the opposite of what youre doing.

So yes, it will work fine. Theyll grow a whole lot in the day by the window (id leave them inside to prevent any pests from laying eggs and then contaminating your indoor crop) and then grow slowly, but surely under a cfl at night.

:)

7. So there's no harm in putting vegging plants under HPS? If not I could have them in there while its on.

I was thinking maybe the sun is to intense and hot for tiny seedlings? Maybe when they are bigger they will thrive in sunlight

8. No, as long as you have 18 hours (even 16) doesnt matter the light ad long as itll grow plants. I have huge plants im keeping by a window in 5 gallon buckets that are root bound mothers who get 12 hours hps, 6 hours window light per day for months and no problems.

9. I've done it in the past during the early to mid spring when I'm flowering but trying to take advantage of the warm, sunny spring days. I've never worried about pests (maybe I should have) and had no adverse effects. When inside, I had a 4 lamp T5 plus 6 40 watt CFL's. I made sure it was going to be at least 65 degrees outside and sunny. Fortunately I was only using 10 gallon pots which were pretty easy to move.

Obviously you're doing just the opposite, but I think you'll be fine. HPS should be fine too.

10. Hmm I like that although I don't have any bay windows that face the east or west. But I do have a screen enclosure around my pool that I could set them in that is pretty pest free minus a few spiders in the corners and the occasional wasp. They only have 4 leaves a piece other than the round ones so I think I may give it a try.

11. They dont even need to be in direct light. Since they see light different than us a well lit room will suffice.

Here's an avacado tree im growing in ambient light in my bathroom.
    [​IMG]

It almost never gets direct sunlight and its thriving!

12. Whoa! That's an eye opener. I was always under the assumptions plants liked direct sunlight the best. Very interesting information my friend.

13. ^learn somethin new everyday. :smoke:

At least I try to

14. I foresee many guacamoles in your future. 

15. Since I've discovered this forum I certainly have been. Could direct sunlight and high temps be bad for a seedling?

16. High temps and direct sunlight could definitely be bad for any plant that hasnt developed roots and a nice canopy.

17. Ill just keep them under the cfls until they get a big larger. What about the HPS thing. Is that ok to put them under? Or is that spectrum not good for veg.

18. This is my first grow, I have only cfls for my room due to size and stealth :/ but I would take mine outside during the day. I noticed it would lean to the sunnier side. Rotate after slightly noticeable lean so it would grow back the other way. I also got a large cardboard display (think 3rd grade science fair) and lined one side with tinfoil to bounce some light back as well as "hide" her from the neighbors eyes. Worked fine with no problems. Bugs are the only issue, and being paranoid I'd check her ever hour or two.. An inch worm one time, random black ants another. Just keep a keen eye and should be good. Temps were in the 70-80 with clear skies. Slight breeze helps with the branches getting stronger.