Insects suck

Discussion in 'General' started by GreenRangerFOH, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Rant:Mainly mosquitoes. Mosquitoes have single-handedly spurred my hatred for the summer months. I get eaten alive. Last night I wore long sleeve clothes and they just went for my hand. My hand started burning and itching and I was like wtf they're out to get me. I did some research and I found out that they don't just bite you that urinate on you too just for some added insult to injury. Fuck man...they're an abomination. :mad:
    Now spiders, sometimes they're cool but DAMN. Those fuckers make webs everywhere. I've ran into one almost everyday these past couple of weeks. They get all on my clothes and face..

2. Mosquitoes had to be sent from hell. I hate those little bastards with every inch of my life. Luckily it's been a dry summer so I haven't seen a lot of them. Most other insects don't bother me. With the exception to fire ants that is..

3. Yeah nature's a bitch like that.
    Solution:
    [​IMG]

that stuff works like a charm.
    Haven't had any kind of mosquito problems since I started carrying that stuff with me out on the trails.

4. I loathe mosquitoes, flies that bite (deer, horse, etc) earwigs, wasps (all kinds)... I mean, I can understand their role in the world, that's perfectly fine (except for mosquitoes - what fucking purpose do they serve?); just do not bite or sting me. At least wasps tend to die after stinging you, so it's in their best interests to fuck off.

But yeah, I have a supply of OFF! on hand. I detest sprays and aerosols of all kinds, just as much as I hate skeeters, but I'll spray that shit all over myself if it means I don't wake up in the morning covered in red itchy bumps.

5. The one benefit of living in a concrete jungle

6. They have these clip on ones that you dont have to spray that works better than the spray

7. [​IMG]

fuck these things so hard

8. #8 Storm Crow, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    Mosquito haters, dig this! :D Alpha amyrins are found in many plants (If you aren't a science lover, just skip down to the bold text.)

Adult mortality and blood feeding behavioral effects of α-amyrin acetate, a novel bioactive compound on in vivo exposed females of Anopheles stephensi Liston (Diptera: Culicidae). Adult mortality and blood feeding behavioral e... [Parasitol Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of α-amyrin acetate on mortality and blood feeding behavior in females of Anopheles stephensi was assessed by in vivo exposure on treated guinea pig skin. In vivo exposure to α-amyrin acetate caused mosquito knock down in the form of rapidly and normally reversible paralysis and the subsequent record at the end of a 24 h, revealed mortality rates of females increased from 0.0% (Control) to 76.9% at 1.6% α-amyrin acetate, the highest concentration which implies the contact toxicity of the α-amyrin acetate received through the sensitive parts of test species. The mean probing time responses significantly increased (P < 0.05) from 5.3 s (Control) to 22.9 s at 1.6% α-amyrin acetate. The blood feeding rates and the mean engorgement times were significantly shorter when compared to the control. The mean blood feeding rates of exposed females decreased from 91.7% (control) to 41.5% at 0.8% α-amyrin acetate concentrations, the mean engorgement time also decreased from 278.6 s (Control) to 158.7 s at 0.8% α-amyrin acetate concentrations. Mean blood feeding rates and mean engorgement time were statistically significant (P < 0.05) from that of control. The mean fecundity levels significantly reduced from 96.2 (Control) to 65.95%. The shortened mean engorgement time and smaller blood meal size have played a more important role in decline of fecundity. In vivo exposure to α-amyrin acetate caused increased mean probing time, decreased blood engorgement time and feeding rate and declined fecundity which reduce the overall survival and reproductive capacity of the malaria vector A. stephensi.

Quick translation- They shaved guinea pigs and half of them had their skin slathered with alpha amyrin, then put them in cages with a set number of mosquitoes. 3/4 of the amyrin-treated mosquitoes were dead with in 24 hours- compared to the controls which all lived. The amyrin mosquitoes didn't land as often and drank less on the treated guinea pigs. The amyrin mosquitoes laid fewer eggs. This may help lessen the number of malaria mosquitoes.

So here we have a commonly* found plant compound (but only is small quantities in most cases), that slows down the biting, and kills most of the mosquitoes that did bite you!

To me, it looks alpha amyrin lotions might be a business possibility! :rolleyes: I really haven't researched alpha amyrin and it's safety, but the fact that they didn't mention any skin irritation is a very good start. :) Shaved areas are prone to irritation. So if it was going to cause a rash, it would have.

Perhaps a mint or lemongrass lotion with alpha amyrin that's likely to kill the few that still bite you? I know that I am a bit more likely to use a plant extract rather than a chemical that Mama Nature never thought of!

Granny :wave:

*alpha amyrin - PubMed - NCBI

9. Storm crow.. How do you kno so damn much..about everything? Are you alex trebek?

10. Dude fuck bugs is what I'm saying.

Covered in bites, all over me. Next time, I'm using spray and one of those clip on things. Bugs really suck.

11. Tinman, I have unending curiosity, a good memory for trivia, and I am not afraid to read things! When I find a word I don't understand, I look it up.

Granny

12. well its nice to have you around!

13. I find insects interesting :eek: but fuck mosquito s

14. I think you're thinking of Honey Bees. Wasp stingers are not barbed, so they can sting repeatedly. Honey Bee Stingers are barbed, and when they try to fly away, the barbed stinger rips them in half pretty much. Also their venom sac is still injecting venom even after ripped from the bee.

15. What he said! When you get stung by a bee you can literally see the little venom sac pulsating as it continues to inject you with bee venom!

16. :laughing:

this dudes onna mission

17. NO Bro not on my thread! She looks like a fucking gremlin

18. Dude is it bad that I cared more about that bud on her leg than her bare vagina/ass?

Also, who is going to smoke the shit she put in her asshole. Sure as hell isn't going to be me.

19. I'm gonna smoke that shit. Just some extra flavoring! Hahahaha

20. I thought this thread said "INCEST sucks".

I was about to say, don't go to Alabama and say that.