Insects in the soil?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ChAoS32, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Well, this is my first grow and everything has been going well until today. I have a total of three plants and they are about 11 weeks old. Earlier today I was inserting plant food spikes when I noticed one of my plants (the second largest) had tiny white bugs running around in the soil.

I have moved the one that had the bugs out of my grow area until I know what to do. I read the "problems guide" here on grasscity but all of the insects it mentions sound like that they are found on the leaves or foliage and not in the soil.

I am leaning towards Spider Mites, I just wanted to get a more experienced growers opinion before I do the "bleach water treatment" that the guide talks about.

2. Hey chaos, are they only limited to the soil and the rim of the pot? Do you have them on the underside of the leaves or any other part of the plant itself?

3. I just looked under all of the leaves and no bugs. There isnt that many, if you stare with a flashlight on the soil you can spot one here and there.

4. If you are able to look at them under a scope or take a picture and crop it to zoom in, try and compare it to what I have. I first thought spider mites, but it turned out I was lucky to be the owner of predator mites. Click the link below and check out the pics I provided of what I have and please compare to see if we have the same. You will need either a scope or a pic that can be zoomed in to get a good luck at yours. Just read the posts and see the pic and see if the personalities are the same. Posting a pic here of them always helps as well. Let us know.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/568059-little-white-bugs-soil.html

5. Thanks, it seems that you may have saved the day. With the descriptions in your post I am almost certain it is predator mites.

If my plants can live with them, so can I :)

6. Before you assume you are safe, I would recommend having a closer look at them and be certain that you have a friend in the soil than a nuisance. There are several bugs that hang about the soil that are not good to have around.

7. Yea, I just finished moving so I will try to find the charger for my camera and see if I can get a good picture of them.

8. That sounds better. You want to be on the safe side. It sounds like the numbers are small, and if these turn out to be unwanted guests, then it's always best to combat early on than when they grow in numbers. Good luck and please keep us posted, that way we can help you further, or use it to help others as well.

9. be aware that if you have predator mites that you did not introduce yourself.... Those bugs need something to feed on, and they wouldnt be there if there wasnt another pest present.

10. I still havent been able to find my camera charger so there is no way for me to get a closer look at them right now. Should I just dry out the dirt and try to kill them?