Insect id help, great pic included

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Thanks Brodman! I'm leaning towards it being good guy. With all the info on the web regarding problem insects, I would think I would have found a match by now if it was a bad guy.
    thanks again Brodman
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. That's a lacewing. They are beneficial. As larvae they feed of aphids and spider mites.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If thats a lacewing ill eat my pants. The abdomen area is all wrong and wings are too small.
    green-lacewing-adult.jpg
    Not a juvenile lacewing either
    76202580.7DzMorUh.LACEWING.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anymore pictures? I ruled out fruitful due to abdomen shape and legs. Mouth pic would help also.

5. Sorry these 2 pics are the only ones. Unfortunately both times I have photographed this insect, I didn't see him until much later when I made the pics big. These are accidental while I have been checking trichomes.
    Thanks for chiming in, any help is welcome.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  6. I think I found it, its a Chironomidae AKA "Lake Fly"
    Chironomidae

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My dad was an entomologist. He would have been all over this shit. The closest I could come up with was 'some kind of fly?' :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. That might be right on the money. That name fits a 'dry fly' pattern that's popular in my area, trout and grayling love em.
    Thanks scoob!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The silhouette view makes it tough to tell. Maybe some of the other folks will chime in.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  10. hmm.... kinda hard to see. size? color? wings?
    on closer inspection, look at the bottom part there are two stubs where the abdomen ends. Could be an aphid?

• Like Like x 1
  11. No that is 100% skeeter - young just hatched no color yet

12. Mosquitos hatch in water...

13. yes and then grow wings and their bodies harden and gain color - this is the in between stage ......

14. Yeah you are right, but when it hatches from the pupae its not green its clear and black.

15. It does kinda look like one but the wings dont match either

see mosquitos have these teeny tiny wings
    [​IMG]

16. That is just one kind of mosquito - there are several different types all slightly different