Inline Fan/noise Questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by greentilltheend, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Setting up a new room and I have a few questions. How far can a 6" max fan pull fresh air through a 6" air duct for fresh air. In a perfect situation for the room I would be pulling about 15' with 1 90bend. Is that to far? Would you put a duct muffler right after the 90 bend to quiet it down. I need this as quiet as possible. Bloom room is 6'x12'x7 1/2 ft high. Right around 500cf. Going to have a 400 cfm canfilter ran by a max can 362 cfm. Probably run it on speed 2 as long as Temps are good. I have 3 dual 600 so 6 hoods. My concern isn't smell with this set up but noise is a concern! I have 2x4 walls with r18 insulation with 1/2" sheet rock with a 4x8' of 2 inch foam. The ceiling is 2x6 with thick 2x6 insulation with sheet rock n 2 inch foam 4x8' with all of the seams caulked. I'm thinking on returning the one ballast n invest in a AC unit. Anything I'm missing and any input will be greatly appreciated

2. Price isn't as big of an issue as noise. Could you hear that running outside of a garage? Thanks for the input

3. Use a speed controller to run the fans at a slower speed. Multiple fans may be needed though.

Sent from my fucking phone.

4. #5 usedtocare, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
    Six 600's in that space will generate a lot of heat. I don't think a 6" fan with a 90 degree bend and a 15 foot run is going to be nearly enough to cool the room, I would go for a 10". Duct mufflers and controllers cut down on the airflow which is not what you want.  There is the noise from the fan itself and the noise of air exiting. I think all the fan manufacturers try to make their fans pretty quiet. Where are you getting your fresh air from?

5. I am pulling the air from the outside through a roof vent

6. I like the Vortex a lot. I use a variac controller with it. Gives great incremental control and that helps extend the life of my filter. On near high, I could hear my 6" fan dead of night standing at the front of the house, ground level, while tent was one level up with windows open. I could hear it, but it wasn't necessarily harsh. Remember, the psychology is different for hearing when you know about the noise possibilities versus a person who just happens by, but knows nothing of what you are running and it's sound level output. I personally wouldn't chance it, but don't know your specific location/environment/natural sounds. Maybe if it was mounted very low to the ground, away from prying eyes.

7. I'm not too sure about your exact question but 6x 600W seems a lot for a 6'' fan.

What I wanted to comment on was something pretty smart that I saw on the forums at some point.

A guy had built a soundproof box around his fan using MDF board and car soundproofing material. If you are a bit of a manual person it seemed like a very fun DIY project and very effective.

He claimed that the fan was no longer noticeable even when in the same room, He even claims his Digital balasts are way louder than the fan now (I think he used a normal 6'' inline fan). The only noise left was the air rushing through the ducts which can be taken care of with some insulated ducts and a muffler. 

I believe this was the exact build : https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-sound-proof-box-to-silemnce-your-inline-fan.46564/

Hope this can help you with your problems! I'm actually thinking of building one on top of my current cab to save some Inside space and reduce the noise.

8. #9 IfeltathighTX420, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    I grow in a closet that is adjacent to the main hall and another bedroom. With the AC on nothing can be heard. With it off.. maybe.. if you lean your ear against the wall.. yes.. to thin of dry wall.

What I did was two main things.

Make a box out of MDF, fill with foam and caulk it well. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO FOR A FAN.

I also changed all my ducting to insulted. Except for the end of my cool tube and my fan, that is still the higher quality black plastic stuff I was using, its easier to get it to attach. The ducting in the insulation is very thin plastic, think plastic baggie. 

Trust me the difference is astronomical.

I agree with this as well. You should check out hyper fans. I have a 8" and 6" hyper fan. Look them up on youtube, one of the online hydro stores does a side by side comparison. I love mine because they significantly smaller than the vortex and can fans and they come with a speed controller on it. 

From what I understand it's better to get a larger fan with a speed controller and run it at a lower speed than it is to run a smaller fan at maxed speed.

Good luck bro