Inline Fan Broken??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kryptix, Sep 19, 2012.

1. I noticed the temps in my tent up a few degrees and the sides didn't seem to be sucking in as much. I unplugged my fan and plugged it directly into the wall to test it and it wasn't spinning. I tried spinning it with my hand and it started to spin again. I have to do this every time I unplug it now. It seems to be working but not at full strength. It's also very hot if I touch the wheel that spins inside of it.

It's only 2 weeks old!

2. so I'm guessing it's an axial?

the symptoms sound like what happens to old fans, but at two weeks I say you have a dud.
    Got a warranty?

3. I've never looked inside an inline fan or the components, but on my air conditioning unit when it can't start spinning by itself and you have to hand spin it to get started, then it's a bad capacitor.

If you spin it by hand and it doesn't spin then it's a bad motor.

4. #4 Kryptix, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    There were no instructions or warranty, but I'm still within the return period. It just sucks because I'll have to send it back and wait for a new one to arrive which will take about 2 weeks. My plants will not like that :mad:

Oddly enough, the fan will now start itself when I plug it back in, SOMETIMES. I still can't tell if it's at full strength but it's doing the job for now.

As I was adjusting the fan, the glass from my light fell on to the plants, chopped one of the heads of the main stem clean off. I was super pissed. I'm hoping now this will have a sort of "topping" effect.

5. yeah, sounds like a bad cap, unable to get the inital jump

6. And how does everybody drop their lights all the time? Are the hangers coming off the hooks or something? Or just a poor mounting at the top?

This seems inordinately frequent.

7. I think it happens even MORE often, how many people are working under them when it happens? some lights and fans etc are heavy enough to prevent you ever posting about it.

Bare bulb saves me from this worry, I just need to worry about burn skin/retina's

8. The light/reflector is hanging just fine. My problem was the glass on the reflector. It's held in by nut and bolt, and I didn't realize they were extremely loose. It was my own carelessness - I should have tightened them more to begin with. Lesson learned.

As far as the fan, I decided to return the thing and get a hydrofarm 6" since I can amazon prime it overnight for 3.99.