Injury-free alternative to running

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by amsterdamage, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Running is a great aerobic exercise but it can cause injury, especially to old people. I tried rowing and I tried ice skating fast as alternatives to running and I found that you can't row fast enough for it to be a realistic alternative to running, but you can skate fast enough that to be a good replacement.

And since ice skating is zero impact, it doesn't cause any injuries. And there are no dogs or cars and it's always cold so you hardly sweat at all. Also, the figure skaters who train there every day are, for want of a better word, stunning. I lost thirty pounds in two months and as long as I skate almost every day it stays away so it'll pay for itself in reduced medical costs.

I think every young person should learn to ice skate well so they can have a great aerobic exercise in their life when they're old. I actually have a plan to put hockey blades on speed skate boots, which should allow for significantly more agility. Something like the attached image. It might suck though, I haven't tried it yet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Those ice skates i remember was hard to get accustomed to when I was younger.

What about swimming? That gotta be the best exercise i know off for people with injuries. Its a soft exercise

• Like Like x 2
  3. I use an elliptical and a rowing machine and get a good cardio/aerobic workout on either one. I'm nearly 70 and a fall while skating is not what I need! I'm glad you're able to stay on your feet!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Your machine is probably better than mine. I rowed mine so hard that I moved it across the floor and still I didn't feel like I got a good workout. I last fell on the ice about thirty years ago when I stepped on a coin that someone had dropped. The result was quite spectacular at the time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I tried swimming but the chlorine made my nose run so much that I couldn't stand it anymore. Hockey skates are heat molded - they bake them in an oven before you first strap them on which makes them mold perfectly to the shape of your feet and makes them the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear in your life.

Usain Bolt could run at 27 mph but an ice skater in perfect conditions can go more than twice that speed so if you can skate safely when you're old you can easily push yourself faster than what you could run when you were young. And that feels really good.

• Like Like x 3
  6. if not swimming,
    basketball, works every muscle in the body

• Like Like x 3
  7. I've rediscovered my bicycle. For decades it was my primary mode of transportation then when I purchased a car it all went to shits. Feels great getting back on the horse.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sex,every other day .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. sure right , breaks the body down twice as fast, before you know it you will be bald and driving around in a convertable hunting gold diggers with a pocket full vigra hahahah
    i cant hold back every time i see that, hahahah
    what tickles me even more is the old hens calling you hun and wink,lol
    gotta love old age though, every thing you fight for all sudden becomes a what was i thinking moment in history hahah

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. [​IMG]

Spending half my time on the Boat I do as much SUP (stand up paddling) as possible. Besides it gives me a chance to ogle the hot babes doing the same.
    :)

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roller skating and swimming is where it’s at

83A6DC00-241D-4948-BEAD-F57B4E9F2E8C.gif

• Like Like x 3
  12. #12 HesterCordell, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Thank you for your excellent question! Ice skating is a fantastic way to get in shape if you are over 40. It is especially great if you have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, as you will definitely see a marked improvement within just a couple of weeks. It is most certainly an aerobic exercise, but it is not recommended that you do it in bad weather. Ice skating is a recreational activity, not a competitive one. Use your figure skates to enhance your performance in ice skating, but always remember that the most important aspect of the sport is going as quickly as possible.

13. Swimming is also non impact, unless you're surfing a wave and smash into the beach floor.

My cardiologist said that more exercise is actually bad for your heart. Marathon runners have a relatively short life span believe it or not.

He told me that walking hiking and swimming was good for you.

14. More than how much exercise is bad for the heart?

15. I’m 4 months away from 73,,, I ride a bike some summers, snowshoe two hours a day, everyday there is enough snow, in Northeastern Minnesota winter, and walk two hours everyday, before breakfast, in all seasons; I’m walking as I type this… Hills on the bike, and breaking new trails in deep snow on snowshoes is some tough cardio, but mostly I like to just keep moving…

Seems like biking and snowshoeing are the lowest impact of what I do… Falling in deep snow is not pleasant, but neither is it painful… Falling off my bike,,, which I haven’t done since I was a kid,,, is quite a terrifying thought, and more especially so when coming down a hill into a tight corner at rapid rate of knots…

I’ve an old friend, a couple of years behind me, who plays hockey in winter! Always has… Can’t imagine myself on skates,,, blades or rollers…Can imagine myself in the ER immediately after though…

• Like Like x 1
  16. Had to do with your bpm, I guess it's not good for your heart to go up too high.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Now I get it. Yeah, got to watch your target heart rate.

18. Love caffeine before the gym!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1