Inhibiting Vertical Growth

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by JBox420, Sep 27, 2014.

1. #1 JBox420, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    Looking for some ideas on how to sloooowwww down my vertical growth.  I have tried super cropping but the way my room is set-up it's really hard to get to the back half of the plants.  I super crop on the regular and that helps but with this particular strain not enough.

So here is what I got going on right now:

These pics are of my backwater kush thats about 2-3 weeks from harvest.  These plants are almost 5ft tall and not super bushy as you can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeping these from hitting the light was a monumental fucking task.  They were originally set-up as an ebb and flow tray sitting on a low table with the rez underneath.  Three weeks in I had to take all the plants out, remove the table and rez then put the tray on some milk crates. That worked for like two weeks but then they hit the light again. Finally I just re-worked how my lights were mounted to get an extra 8 inches but it was a huge pain in the ass.  

These are clones of the backwater and they are already about 2ft tall.  I'm leaning towards just cutting the top 1/3 of the plants off and vegging the for one more week and then throwing them in flower but I have never done that before so I guess I'm just looking for someone with experience doing it or some other ideas.  Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. How have you been applying the "super-cropping" technique?  It doesn't look like the form I know of.  I'm new, but when I SC, I pinch a branch that is getting too high, direct it sideways at a 90 degree angle, and let it heal itself. When it heals, there is an explosion of growth and a knuckle that creates an expressway for nutrients. 

The ending look of super-cropping creates a plant that somewhat resembles a Hanukah Candle.  Yours seem to be going straight up.  This far along in flower, I don't think I'd recommend it unless you have some way of supporting the buds from the ceiling.   

3. What do you think about taking your reflector off, hanging the bulb vertically, with the plants staged around the bulb?  I think your plants could benefit from a transition into a vertical lighting method...  

4. Try the 12 +1 method in veg... 12 Hours on 5.5 hours off 1 hour on 5.5 hours off every 24 hours... it shortens internodial leingth

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 Bones Khan, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    LMFAO. One of the better problems to have. But you should a fimmed or topped. In my experience super cropping dosent work for sativa dominant or tall growing strains. Im in a white widow big bug grow and super cropping simply won't work. It seems too late to top but you could try tying stuff down.

Also that seems really high... When you start you plants do you leave the light close to them or is it fixed in place?

6. maybe it's just the camera's effect but the bottom half of the plants look so dark. As though they are not getting any light. Are they healthy half way down?

7. need to flip to flower sooner and keep your lamp as close as possible throughout the entire grow

8. #8 MKIV Matt, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    Maybe it's time to start LSTing? That way you can really control the height a lot better.  It takes a fair amount of effort but I've found it to be well worth the effort.

Ninja Edit:  This is in regards to your new plants still in veg.

9. Lst is simple and effortless. Whats your technique? I have 1/16 holes all around the outside of my pots. Then i have my soft tie gardening wire. Ill strip about a quarter inch of the rubber off the metal put it in the hole and bend it over to hold it in place. Then i bend the other side and hook it on. After a bit i just pull on the soft tie and pull down the stem. Keep em low as fuck.

Heres some pics of lst without topping. The girls sit about a foot from the top of the pots. And the tops are about ten inches from my light ;)

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1335301-Stanky's-perpetual-garden

Attached Files:

That's actually exactly what I do too! :) My plant right now sits about 2 feet tall, she stretched alot more than usual during those first 2 weeks of flower.  I guess I should have said "Alot more work compared to not training them at all".  I've seen people complain about the amount of effort it takes so I try to make sure when I recommend it that they know its more work.  The plant looks good, real good! I'd take pictures of mine, but I'm the paranoid type in that respect. ;)

11. Are you able to get them closer to the light when they are younger? Looks like they are stretching for more light. I have both indica and sativa in my veg cab, lights about 15- 20" away and all my plants are under a foot tall and they have about 10 nodes

With some topping and LST along with keeping your lights close you should get some tight growth during veg without all that stretch

Sent from my Spaceship using the GrassCity App.

12. Veg the clones under a 6500K CFL or T5, super tight nodes... or you could grow them into a scrog.

This is EXACTLY what I am looking to make my 6 auto's look like and have been debating on what to do with them as far as a training technique and I have done LSTing in the past with great results. Also the way my grow is set up I think I am now settled on just plain ole LSTing, because does scrogging really do much more than that?  I think I like the 8-10 big colas per plant that LSTing provides vs the 15-20 little colas that scrogging provides. 

Couple of questions, first what strain is that? Second what kind of setup do you have IE LED or HID? Lastly what was the yeild of that plant?

14. All that info is in my thread. I dont know about autos never dont them. You wouldent want to do high stress tho. Recovery time will take away from growth. And scrog you have no control over filling up the net. It is what it is when it starts to flower. I have both setups. Led and hid. Also a t5 veg area but i need to double that up now with the new led tent. Ill be looking at 1 1/2 oz and up. My last scrog my colas were bigger then lst. But i went for more plants this time around to cut down on veg time.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1335301-Stanky's-perpetual-garden

Right on, I am also doing DWC so I am hoping to pull 800 or more grams, I am just hoping that these autos dont turn out to be puny  little things that flower immediately.  But from everything I have read and seen about Dutch Passions Autoextreme it gets the size of most photo plants just flowers automatically.  Fingers crossed. 

16. Had and am having currently on my green crack. It's stretched way too much. Need to scrog better in my next grow. Also doing 2 2 gal pots instead of 1 5 gal.

17.  I love the idea of vertical lighting I just think that it will kill me trying to keep the room cool and my room is not that tall.  

18.  This has been something Im SUPER interested in doing.  Do you have any experience with it?

19. I agree definitely one of the better problems to have.  When I super cropped  these they turned back up so quick it didn't really slow anything down.  I did top these in veg after the 5th node but that didn't do much either.  During veg I keep the light as close as possible and I'm running a T5 so I can get it pretty close.  I think these plants just called for a lot of LST'ing and a lot of attention that I didn't give them. :(

Yeah, my lights were adjustable and I had them pretty close.  This strain just shot straight up with very little side branching.  It felt like it would grow inches in a day.  I would raise the lights 6 inches and when I checked two days later they were right on the light again.  I'm sure if I would have put in the time lst'ing or scrogging it would have kept them in check.