Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Inhaling the Lighter gas, when smoking weed!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by JBright, Dec 6, 2012.

1. So I was wondering if it was possible that when you are using a lighter the gas that comes out to casue the flame, you are also inhaling it. What do you think? I seem to run out of Lighters that are dead, fairly fast. 3-4 every couple weeks.

2. yes you are inhaling it and the gas is called butane. this is why people use things like hemp wick or an herb iron.

3. Yeah you inhale it but there isn't any bad side effects of it.

4. pretty sure inahaling butane does have bad side effects... hopefully its not enough to do damage though

5. Its harmful in large amounts. It can be used as an inhalant which can cause brain damage and frozen lungs when inhaled from a can. However when it burns alot of it is burned and little is inhaled. Also if you cherry the bowl you only have to inhale for a few seconds every bowl. If it worries you then use hemp wick or vaporizer. What ever you do don't use matches, they produce terrible chemicals which you do not want to inhale.

6. When butane combusts, it forms CO2 and H2O.

7. [quote name='"NickaWittaBic"']When butane combusts, it forms CO2 and H2O.[/quote]

It doesn't all combust tho because its impure. Its almost impossible to get 100% pure filtered butane and if you can its hella expensive and mostly used in labs for testing.

8. i did this very thing about 2 weeks ago... was heating up a ball of resin and it got abit clogged so i just inhaled with all my might... eventually snapped it but tasted something foul and painful (not the usual res taste), it felt dry and chemically and caused a coughing fit which evolved into a full scale, stomach evacuating i-think-im-dying kinda episode. dry-reached that hard im suprised my stomach didnt come up with everything else.

9. this is what i do to prevent inhaling butane.

When you burn your bowl, light your lighter and hover the flame just above your weed and try to keep the flame up while you only use the heat to light it instead of the full flame. this makes for a cleaner taste. :smoking:

10. thats scary as fuck dude

11. yeah your inhaling the butane. i don't think it's that bad for you, but don't flick the lighter straight in the bowl as flint will get in your weed.

12. Hemp wick, or an electric lighter. I love sparking up a joint with my Plazmatic instead of a Bic, it saves at least a whole hit on the end. And they're rechargable ;) Uses the same charger as my phone. Most are $40-$60, but definitely worth it, as they replace at least 100 lighters each.

13. The amount of idiocy on these forums is mortifying..... seriously just think for a second, if the butane is what is reacting with oxygen to burn and produce a flame it's not butane after it's burned is it? And besides, butane is just a simple hydrocarbon, there is nothing remotely toxic or dangerous about it in any concievable amonts, that stupid hemp whick you're using out of fear of butane is far less clean burning and actually does release toxic and carcinogenic combustion products unlike the butane which produces only carbon dioxide and water when burned

14. #15 Silver47, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    If you wanted to have the cleanest flame possible you would use a hydrogen torch which produces only water vapor when burned and has an almost invisible flame. One option I have found very useful that I haven't seen anyone else using is using just a smoldering piece of charcoal (real charcoal not those horrible briquettes that have god knows what in them, charcoal should be very light, shiny black, be clearly made from actual pieces of wood not pressed together briquettes, and should sound tinkly like glass or ceramic when dropped mine was homemade) ideally shaped somewhat like a pencil and the end will just keep glowing orange for quite a long time and you can just blow on it if it gets too small but it's much cleaner burrning than a hemp whick and doesn't produce any smoke or even flame but is very hot and easily lights whatever you need it to, and real very pure charcoal like I described is actually not nearly as dirty as you might expect, it is very hard and brittle unlike those awful briquettes and doesn't leave black all over your hands. Charcoal like that is very expensive if you don't make it yourself tho

15. I agree because this thread is 6 years old & you just bumped it therefore adding to the idiocy....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. its actually not that bad in terms of health to breathe burnt butane. I think zippo fuel is a bit different though, and is another story. Others prefer hempwick, but I just find it a pain. It only takes a quick spark of the lighter to get a bowl going.