Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Infusion time for cannaoil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by JoncisAno, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hello everyone. Sorry if this question has been asked before but i couldn't find the answer.
    So, my friend did try to make cannaoil and we are not sure if it has any potency at all and he hasn't tried it yet. So long story short:
    He decarbed 3g 14% cannabis with sous vide method in mason jar at 95c for 1.5h and then added melted coconut oil into it. He continued to infuse it at 85c for only 1h and then filtered cannabis out. He just didn't have time so the question is, will there be any thc bonded with fat at such low temp for such short time? Will it have any potency or it's just a wasted batch?

• Like Like x 1
  2. By the way he added 350ml of coconut oil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well, you've got 420 mg of THC in 350 ml oil. That's 1.2 mg/ml assuming 100% extraction which is not happening. Even if the decarb was sufficient and 1.5 at 95 C may well be long enough, it's a very weak oil. He would have been better off the leave the cannabis in the oil.
    3 grams =3000 mg X 14%= 420 mg/350 ml oil= 1.2 mg/ml. Considering a recreational dose is 10 mg that will be a lot of oil for a 10 mg dose.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you for your insight. This is helpful. Wouldn't more oil be easier to measure appropriate dose? If we consider a person who have never had any edibles in his life and smoked couple of times in a lifetime, wouldn't something like 2.5-5mg dose more appropriate? Thank you again for your educated reply and hope to hear your opinion on this

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. I would assume that the oil would be weaker than 1.2mg/ml as it was infused only a minimum amount of time into oil

6. Of course, you are right. Measuring small doses will be much easier with the concentration you have now. Much better for a person with a low tolerance. Good thinking, mate.

7. The oil will not be 1.2 mg/ml- you are right. I didn't factor
    the 15-20% loss from straining.The infusion time may be adequate, though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. From all the research what I have done on sous vide method it seems to Save to assume that 90% of thc has been activated. The infusion time worries me as there are a lot of people infusing minimum of 4h. I couldn't find any research on how long and at what temperatures thc bonds together with fat cells. Of course on higher temperature the bonds break and fuse a lot easier but then again it would degenerate the quantity of thc. So 85 seemed to be most appropriate. How long do you infuse your cannabutter/cannaoil?

• Like Like x 1
  9. You may decarb your herb successfully in your sous vide. It's the extraction from cannabis into oil where your 15-20% loss occurs. By leaving the cannabis in the recipe you increase extraction to 100%. I cook with concentrate now as it's cheaper than bud for me. If I were infusing the oil from bud I would go for 2 hours. Again, if you leave the herb in the oil this becomes immaterial.

10. #10 Tokintb12, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Edit

11. There are no stupid questions, and it's on topic. I have no idea what processing spent herb that had been in oil in alcohol would accomplish. Personally I would not do it for such a small amount of herb- 3 grams-. You could do it as an experiment, It could pick up some left over cannanbinoids. I guesstimate about 75-80 mg are left behind in your mash.
    Seriously, we're in pursuit of knowledge and your ideas are appreciated. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along and shed more light on the subject..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hmm I didn't think about the left overs in the mash. Next time will be using coffee filters to squeeze everything out. So correct me if I'm wrong but with this information I can estimate thc content pet gram. So from 420 we loose around 80 mg in mash from straining. Assuming that decarb has done properly and 90% have been activated, then that leaves with around 300mg total if fully infused. Because infusion was cut half way, only a part of thc actually bonded together. Either it bonds at constant rate in 85c temperature and assuming that the preferable is 4h then only 25% of active thc has managed to get into coconut oil. If it bonds biggest amount quickly and then over time the temperature breaks the harder fat bonds and fuse with thc. This means that majority would be in oil. Let's say 75% of it in the oil. Which would either leave me with 75mg or 225mg, or 0.2mg/ml or 0.6mg/ml. Did I miss something or did I assessed this problem in wrong way?
    At least next time I will be simmering for at least 2h and will use coffee filter
    Cheers for that

• Like Like x 1
  13. If it was fresh plant then alcohol would extract a lot of other good/beneficial substances as well. It's a question of your choice. For already processed from oil, I think oil would be a huge thing in a way to extract anything out of processed plant

• Like Like x 1
  14. You've gone beyond my limited expertise. Good luck with it, mate. It may end up being an experiment and you need to try the oil to know what you've got. Extracting into oil is pretty inefficient.

15. #15 Tokintb12, Jan 7, 2020
    Edit

• Like Like x 1
  16. The trouble with a weak oil and coconut oil does this a bit more then other cooking oil is in high amounts it'll give you the runs. Who want to be trapped on the shitter with the butt squirts and stoned out of your mind ??

Even my Kief based oil is easy enough to dose by the single drop for most people.
    1 drop = 3.5 mg of THC.

Stop wasting oil and over cooking. This dead simple recipe beats anything else and I've tried most of them. Hands down this is 5-10x better per mg then the rest.

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes (pea sized nugs uncovered in oven)

5 grams Kief, Hash, Concentrate, Powdered buds.
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin (any kind)
    Combine bits
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional)

Done.
    [​IMG]
    I've made in the range of 40,000 of these for my own use and they are wickedly strong. 83mg per cap when done with Kief-Hash
    25mg for a full cap using powdered buds.
    About 25 drops to fill a (0) sized capsule so 1mg per drop for bud based oil.
    [​IMG]
    1 drop capsules I make for finding new users sweet spot.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  17. #17 Tokintb12, Jan 7, 2020
    Edit

• Agree Agree x 1