Infrared Eye in the Sky

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Thizzlojones, May 27, 2009.

1. I had a question about the police and their little eye in the sky operation. They fly around, scanning everywhere and looking for spots with lots of heat right? Well how could you get around them?

and I did find this:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...-learn-how-avoid-thermal-imaging-cameras.html
    but I don't really understand that.. at all. I actually read it, but I just don't understand that. Plus I read it said it can't totally cover you as a sniper, but it will help right? well I don't really want to risk it with plants and go to jail for the rest of my life for a huge grow op.

2. Where do you live?

Also, generally cops don't just roll around checking out random houses with thermal imaging. They'd have to be investigating you first.

3. im sure in high population cities its worse but ive never heard of anyone getting caught up by helis...and i have a legit grow operation and no one ever has even knocked on my door to even say hi

4. Around SF, Cali

But thats weird, ive heard a lot of people getting busted because of this new tech. I think that big underground op was found by this method. I mean it seems possible too, police flying around trying to enforce the war on drugs with this new thermal heat scanner, not too hard right?

http://hightimes.com/news/ht_admin/4506

5. and those busts are in the UK...not saying its not a bummer for them. but ..relax...and read

hope that helps ease your nerves

6. #6 growinbudz, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    is flair different from flir? I know that flir cannot see through objects.so they can only catch you if your setup is heating the outside walls of your house up- FLIR sees the EXTERIOR walls of the house heated up.

they also catch people when they find large amounts of heat being vented from odd places of your house.

But I agree it seems unconstitutional to obtain warrants this way.

If flair is indeed different than flir and CAN see into your house... well f*ck, that is unconstitutional period.

edit: the thread Wharfrat74 posted had some good info:

In a 5-4 opinion delivered by Justice Antonin Scalia, the Court held that "[w]here, as here, the Government uses a device that is not in general public use, to explore details of the home that would previously have been unknowable without physical intrusion, the surveillance is a 'search' and is presumptively unreasonable without a warrant." In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens argued that the "observations were made with a fairly primitive thermal imager that gathered data exposed on the outside of [Kyllo's] home but did not invade any constitutionally protected interest in privacy," and were, thus, "information in the public domain."

7. hm thats interesting

but didnt they find a tunnel underground with a fuckload of plants? and fuck that guy over?

8. w
    h
    e
    w

9. FLIR-Forward Looking Infrared Radar cannot see thru objects, it simply picks up the heat signature given off by a particular object. I have had the good fortune to fly in a chopper with FLIR, and its not as wonderful as its made out to be. It can detect a lone animal standing in the woods, but a house or other building won't show an abnormal heat signature unless there is a LOT of heat escaping. It may help you to browse thru some videos on YouTube that show FLIR being used by the cops. You will get a better idea of what it can see. Hope that eases your mind.:smoking: