Info on white widow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Hacxor, May 8, 2012.

1. #1 Hacxor, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
    I am a beginner but have a good understanding of what I will be doing and needing. But I'm still new. I have read many books on the subject and have been reading on the Internet from time to time. I am planning to put about 4k into a room and would like for you all to look over what I am planning and give pointers if I am missing anything. I will have a 12x12ft room to work in. I am making 6x10 into a veg room with 3 8bulb t5s and a two bulb t5 over the cloner. The flowering room will be 6x10 with 3 600watt air cooled hps lights. I plan on using earth juice grow nutes. Catalyst, Micro, Grow, Bloom, hi-Brix, and Hygrozyme. Of cousre will will also be setting up an environment controller to control the temp and also be pumping in CO2. These are the basics of everything and I can answer questions if you have any. The down side is that I am not able to get clones for the first cycle and will be going from seeds. I plan on using LST and most likely be going into a scrog grow. From what I've read on this forum and others white widow sounds like a good strain that's mold/decease resistant. I am also planning on using fem seeds as well. I plan on starting with 30 seeds and hopefully (cross my fingers) end up with 16 crops at the end. I also plan to keep the two healthiest females as clone mothers for the next cycle. I am wanting to veg 8 weeks and pick a strain that flowers in about 8 weeks. Hopefully after the first cycle I am planning to have 16 flowering at all times. I know this has been beat like a dead horse but, what do you think about fem seeds and does white widow seem like a good match for what I am trying to do? I have searched and searched beginner strains and what strain to use in scrog and would like for you all to help. Also if you have a favorite brand of WW please let me know. And please advise me if you think I'm going about this the wrong way.

Edit to add: Veg room will be 24/7 and I am planning on slowly switching them to 12/12 over a one week period in the flowering room

2. no need to switch slowly, youll just be adding more time to your flower cycle.

deep pockets you have

3. This /\/\/\/\/\ and kinda sounds like yoda :eek:

White widow is the shit, sorry not much info. Goto to indoor or outdoorr growing forum.

4. First off, 4k is way too much to invest for a first grow. Just my opinion.

Second, the EJ lineup is way too complex for most first time growers. Not saying it can't be done but for a first time grower it's tough, and with all these other things going on;cloning, mothers, dual rooms ect, it's a strange choice.

Third, you will be 96 square feet short. A 12x12 room for a 6x10 veg room and a 6x10 flower room leaves you quite short.

The Hi-Brix from EJ is awesome, it's basically just real good molasses.

Is the C02 really needed? Doesn't do much.

What medium are you using or did I miss that?

What the heck is the 4k going into, I'm not even seeing 1500 here.

What is that last part? "Veg room will be 24/7 and I am planning on slowly switching them to 12/12 over a one week period in the flowering room".

5. I will be going with pro-mix soil with mycorrhizal added.

The extra room will be used for supplies and a drying area.

This write up was very basic but I have added up everything a few time and come up just shy of 4k. Lights, vents, ducting, cloner, filters, fans, nutes, building supplies, controllers, co2, and everything else. I have a background in mycology and feel like if your going to do something it's better to do it right.

I have heard that going from a 24/0 to a 12/12 could shock them. Not sure if this is correct.

I chose earth juice because I would like to keep things organize and create a healthy environment. I read and have a link( not sure if I can post another forums link) about different nutes and chose to go with EJ after reading.

I will be purchasing everything in about 2 months and this will be my full time job. So I feel that though there are a lot of things going on I will have the time to attend to them.

Thank you for reading and if you have any more questions or anything that could help me please let me know.

6. Pro-mix is good.

OK. I just saw the 12x12 room. According to that you wouldn't even have room for your veg and flower rooms at 6x10 each.

Yes it definitely adds up but 4k is a lot to invest in a new hobby you have no experience in. I guess it will motivate you more to do good. I agree with that philosophy, do it right or don't do it at all. It's a rare thing amongst new growers honestly. I have known so many that have gone in half-ass and don't get the results they expected and they wonder why. Although it doesn't take a lot of cash to grow well it does help to have the equipment and environment you want.

I see what you are saying.

In veg it's 18/6 only, no reason to do 24/0 or anything else. If you veg longer you will get bigger buds, just fact. So don't be impatient in veg.
    Straight to 12/12 when you decide to switch.
    No shock from 24/0 to 12/12, it's just the veg light cycle debate is silly. Vegging plants need some rest and rest happens with lights off. Stick with 18/6.

EJ is good stuff no doubt, and if you have some education in botany or mycology as you say then you will have an easier time with the learning curve of EarthJuice.

Full-time is a big job. I have done that before, about 12 years worth in another decade. Bear in mind I was working at a large legal grow op and I paid for nothing. I now understand why you are investing the amount you are.

Good Luck. Peace :metal:

7. I apologize for the short response before, but I had to run out the door for a few. Please note I am not a kid and this is not some imaginary thing.
    Part of the high cost is being put into a/c control as my outside climate is quite hot and will need constant cooling.
    I'm not too sure what you mean by I won't have space for two 6x10 rooms in a 12x12 space.
    I guess my main questions are:
    Is this something reachable? Is it possible to pull something like this off for a first grow?
    Would white widow be a good strain to chose for a scrog grow?
    Is it smart to use feminized seeds?

I thank you for the promp response about the light cycle. I will keep this in mind.

Books that I have read:
    Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible
    The Cannabis Grow bible
    And currently on Grow Great Marijuana: An Uncomplicated Guide to Growing the World's Finest Cannabis

I know this does not make up for first hand experience but I think it's a start.

If you know of anything I should read, on the forum or book, please let me know.

And again thank you for your support.

8. One more question:Would 1 inline can-filter 66 be able to handle this room?
    I plan on having my fans for lighting push straight out of the inline to keep the heat down.

9. its far more efficient to pull through your filter rather than push through it

set it up like this:

can filter then hose to light hood (and any subsequent hoods)then hose to fan then hose out of room

and jeezu buyin a central air unit? window shakers only run about 120 bucks and would cool that size room just fine

im still only seeing approx 2grand here

10. Your going all out on your first grow. I started with stray CFL's , white paint, and bagseed. Good learning experience and no worries when the plant gets sick, just bagseed.

11. Morning Hacxor,
    Not necessarily the wrong way but.....
    I'm a relative newb like yourself, I'm finishing my 3rd grow shortly & flowering my fourth, been at it just under a year.
    The decisions your making pre grow are going to change as you gain experience, at least that's the way it was for me.
    I've changed my lights once, nutes once, changed the setup in the room once and many other smaller changes. I read, studied & culled pertinent information for over a year while I was getting ready to grow.
    I made so many mistakes on my first run of ten plants that only now is it funny. Seriously I had many nights of tossing & turning worrying about what was going to go wrong next and my first grow was really pathetic. Now however I'm swinging along in well greased grooves.
    I've heard it time & again, start small, learn to grow & then go from there. Ya know they're right.
    Cheers, good luck & keep us posted. :D
    bruce

12. Item\tItem Name\tUM\tQty\tPrice\tAmount\tDelete
     \t600 HPS Cool Sun Grow Light System

EA\t\t $317.15\t$951.45\t
    Cool Sun Reflector - 6"\t3 \t \t 
    600W Lumatek Digital Ballast - 120/240V\t3 \t \t 
    600 HPS SolarMax Bulb - 95,000 lumens\t3 \t \t 
    - Select an Optional Lighting Add-On\t3 \t \t 
    - Select an Optional 240 Volt Cord\t3 \t \t 
     \tMaxLume T5 Light System - 4', 8 Bulbs

EA\t\t $189.95\t$569.85\t
     \tMaxLume T5 Light System - 2', 2 Bulbs

EA\t\t $60.95\t$60.95\t
     \tPower Cloner 45 w/ Dome

EA\t\t $229.95\t$229.95\t
     \tAquaShield - quart

EA\t\t $8.99\t$8.99\t
     \tHanna pH/EC/TDS/C Portable - 3000ppm

EA\t\t $132.95\t$132.95\t
     \tCan-Filter 33 w/ Can-Fan 6 Combo

EA\t\t $242.95\t$242.95\t
     \tCan-Filter 75 w/ Can-Fan 8HO Combo

EA\t\t $455.95\t$455.95\t
     \tValuLine 6" Centrifugal Fan - 435 cfm

EA\t\t $73.95\t$147.90\t
     \tSingle Outlet Analog Timer

EA\t\t $11.49\t$45.96\t
     \tLT-4-120 - 4-light Timer (120V)

EA\t\t $164.95\t$164.95\t
     \tREG-1 CO2 Regulator / Valve

EA\t\t $91.95\t$91.95\t
     \t20# Aluminum CO2 Tank - empty

EA\t\t $124.95\t$124.95\t
    Total Weight: 0.00        Total Qty: 21 \tTotal: $3,228.75 
      Printable Version

Plus ducting, nutes, some type of poly/Mylar, wood for building shelves and a wall, and a large window a/c unit and your right under 4k.

13. Im sorry dude I know you got time and money but unless you know how to grow professionally all of that equipment is pointless

14. How much you spend is your business, and throwing in a central air system explains a lot.

Forget about the 12x12 comment, I misunderstood. You will basically have two 6x10 grow rooms running next to each other inside of a 12x12 room, my fault.

Anything is possible, with the room, equipment and some know how yes it can be pulled off as you say.

Any indica or hybrid strain will do well, one can even use a sativa strain but the judgement of how tall they will grow would be a concern. White Widow is a good choice.

Here is a link to a grow journal on here of someone doing a white widow scrog grow. Pictures and all.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/503162-feminized-white-widow-soil-scrog-grow.html

Ideally I imagine scrog would be best with clones but yes, feminized seeds are the way to go if no clones are available.

Those are good books. Reading up and watching grow vids is a prerequisite for a beginner. Intake everything and then make it our own.

15. OK. This is a lot of stuff.

The MH/HPS light prices make sense as a decent 600 watt setup is at least 300 each.

You definitely can bump down to the HydroFarm T5 light systems which are less than half the cost of the MaxLumes.

You can clone in regular pots or cups in a simple domed tray for $10. And I'VE NEVER EVER SEEN A Power Cloner 45 for under 250 bucks. You have it listed at 60 something.

200+ bucks for aquashield? Why on earth would you need so much? That's just so overkill I don't know what to say.

If you are going to spend so much on everything at least get a decent pH/EC/TDS/PPM tester for 50-150 bucks.

Carbon filters are expensive I understand those.

But what's with the $455.95 value-line 6" fan? You need 6 of them? Just asking.

You're paying WAY TO MUCH for timers. A top quality analog or digital should cost no more than 20 bucks each. I'm also seeing other timers I'm guessing for the string of T5 lighting, not sure what that's about.

Then I see you are adding c02 which isn't neccessary or even a plus in most setups that can obtain superior ventilation, but it's your choice and those prices seem normal.

I imagine you've also added in separately all the material, construction, electrical, accessories and soil or hydro setup costs for this large of grow which is at least 1k.

I'd plan a little longer before you commit.

16. Sorry it was hard to read but I fixed the gaps and spaces. Lol, I would never spend 200$ on aqua shield! You are correct in the lights, I will be paying 317$ for each light as I feel, and correct me if I'm wrong, digital ballasts are better. Hopefully this revised version will help a little. I plan to have no air intake because I do not want to bring in mold, bugs, or diseases from outside. This is why I plan to use co2. I thank you for everything Cali. And I will read through this grow as soon as I have time. If you think of anything else I should stay away from please let me know. Thank you again.

\t600 HPS Cool Sun Grow Light System. 3
    EA\t\t $317.15\t$951.45\t
    Cool Sun Reflector - 6"\t3 \t \t 
    600W Lumatek Digital Ballast - 120/240V\t3 \t \t 
    600 HPS SolarMax Bulb - 95,000 lumens\t3 \t \t 
    - Select an Optional Lighting Add-On\t3 \t \t 
    - Select an Optional 240 Volt Cord\t3 \t 

\t 
     \tMaxLume T5 Light System - 4', 8 Bulbs. 4
    EA\t\t $189.95\t$569.85\t

\tMaxLume T5 Light System - 2', 2 Bulbs. 1 (above cloner)
    EA\t\t $60.95\t$60.95\t

\tPower Cloner 45 w/ Dome 1
    EA\t\t $229.95\t$229.95\t

\tAquaShield - quart. 1
    EA\t\t $8.99\t$8.99\t

\tHanna pH/EC/TDS/C Portable - 3000ppm. 1
    EA\t\t $132.95\t$132.95\t

\tCan-Filter 33 w/ Can-Fan 6 Combo. 1 (veg room)
    EA\t\t $242.95\t$242.95\t

\tCan-Filter 75 w/ Can-Fan 8HO Combo. 1 (flower room)
    EA\t\t $455.95\t$455.95
    \t
     \tValuLine 6" Centrifugal Fan - 435 cfm. 2 (push air threw ducting)
    EA\t\t $73.95\t$147.90\t

\tSingle Outlet Analog Timer 5 (exhaust, cfl, misc)
    EA\t\t $11.49\t$45.96
    \t
     \tLT-4-120 - 4-light Timer (120V). 1 (flower lights)
    EA\t\t $164.95\t$164.95
    \t
     \tREG-1 CO2 Regulator / Valve. 1
    EA\t\t $91.95\t$91.95
    \t
     \t20# Aluminum CO2 Tank - empty. 1
    EA\t\t $124.95\t$124.95\t

Total Weight: 0.00        Total Qty: 21 \tTotal: $3,228.75 
      Printable Version

17. Bring in fresh air just use a filter.

18. #18 CalDreamer, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    Replied to your PM.

I use to curse digital ballasts because all we had were magnetic and they worked so well for us for so long. But after I quit working at a legal grow op I invested in new equipment and grabbed digital ballasts. We connected them to voltage and wattage readers and the energy savings alone is reason to switch to or start with digital ballasts.
    Honestly, other than weight it's the only advantage over magnetic, but enough to matter.
    Some say and it's actually fact that because digital ballasts are on a higher frequency they are able to push the bulbs brighter and have a wider light spectrum, but it really does nothing for lumens output and over the years I have not noticed any difference in growth when comparing the two ballast systems.

Energy savings is a good enough reason.

A sealed room? You are choosing the very toughest way aren't you?

As an old grow teacher once told me about sealed grow rooms, "The technique should be mainly used only when absolutely necessary." Whatever that means.

I understand the ins and outs of sealed grow rooms as I have worked in many. If you master it and can maintain one it will be the greatest thing ever, if you start having issues it will be a complete nightmare. There is no in between.

Now here is where you would WANT to do hydro unless you also wish to bring in another tank to supply O2. Being with hydro you can supply O2 simply by adding H2O2 to the water/reservoir.

For CO2 you might want to look at a propane generator instead of CO2 tanks.

You are going to need sensors to monitor air and other factors to ensure an ideal growing environment.

You need to pull air from somewhere to air cool the lights. You need a fan to pull air through the scrubber(carbon filter). You will also need a fan to circulate air between both rooms.

You need someone who is experienced in sealed rooms, it's just to much for me, but if you ever need help with whatever shoot a message.

I'm sure if you take your time you will do great. Peace :metal:

19. #19 Hacxor, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    As for my out take I was planning on having a carbon filter mounted(with fan) to the top of one side of the flowering room and have ducting from that run and weave through each of my lights then a ducting coming out of the last light that goes into another inline fan then to outside through a window. I could alway put an intake from the window, but I was alway scared of contaminates. From mycology I know that hepa filters are good (but will require a pre filter). With that being said, do they make inline hepa filters? Or is there something else out there that I should look for to be a filter. Hopefully this isn't to hard to follow. Thank you again.