Infinity...and beyond?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BenLamers, May 24, 2007.

1. Do you think infinity exists or not?

That is all :wave:

2. Well it can't be calculated but it necessarily exists...a line is infinite.
    It's more like a reflection of capability being put into correspondence with a proper subset of itself...if that makes sense.

“The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.”

- Voltaire

“The principle of the Gothic architecture is infinity made imaginable.”

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

3. Fixed.

4. well there are infinitely many numbers in between 0 and 1.
    a line is infinite, but there are also no straight lines in the universe.

hm, the mind reels.

5. [As the THC enters AK's system he realizes that his very existence is being questioned.]

Hey guys I'm right here no need to ask. For those of you that need more proof PM me and I'll send you a picture.

[Is infinity the question or the here and now?]

"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either. The ends of things and their beginnings are impregnably concealed from him in an impenetrable secret. He is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness out of which he was drawn and the infinite in which he is engulfed."

~Blaise Pascal~

Stay greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee--takes a leak--eeeen.

6. haha thanks, all good answers. i think i have mine now ;):)