Infinite loop of same life time?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by didier12, Aug 12, 2012.

1. #1 didier12, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    I was talking to my friend the other day and we were discussing the natural laws of the universe and he was telling me about the equasions how intricately perfect they were that if the equasion for gravity was slightly off that matter wouldn't be able to form.

One of the reason he thinks that we're so lucky and blessed with these natural laws is because he thinks that things are infinite, so a universe with perfect laws was bound to come about eventually because there is an infinity for it to happen in so anything that's possible no matter how unlikely will eventually happen.

So this got me thinking, I then realised that in an infinity not only would these extremely unlikely situations occur but they would occur an infinite number of times. So take this universe and every single tiny little event that has happened so far will be replicated an infinite amount of times. The lifespan of this cosmos and all thats happened whether it be obama being elected or hitler killing jews it will happen over and over and over again etc.

So this got me thinking more, this would mean the person I am will live an infinite number of times living the exact same life like this one. Now my question is would I actually be living them or am I just living this particular one. If the universe were to break down create a whole heaps of other universes in the meantime until they break down and then eventually this exact same universe with the exact same timeline is created again and in 1991 of that universe I am born again. Would I be brought back to life? Would who I am now be there then? Or would it be somewhat of a clone exactly like me but not me?

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Edit: Also I don't think this really has any scientific merit, but maybe the phenomenon of deja vu is somehow in some strange way remembering moments from one of these previous lifetimes where you actually had done that thing before.

2. The exact opposite would happen eventually too. Not sure about people during the same things, even given an infinite number of times, if freewill were involved, some things could be avoided again and again.

Infinite in probabilities is predictable until you factor in choices, beliefs, personalities ect and then it becomes a bit more complicated. Who's to say I would end up any other way if the universe were repeated to an exact?

edit:

I guess it comes to cause and effect, and an infinite time frame.

3. So, here it is. I wrote out this really long comment about this and chaos theory.... And then I read it and realized I'm way to high to be typing anything that needs that much explaining...

4. :(

I don't think the same things would occur - but I think similar ocvurrences could be happening in other places in the universe. Supposing the Big Bang Theory is correct, everything is pre-determined. We have our existence, but other existences going on in unobservable parts of the universe wouldn't be the same because the paths the atoms or neutrinos or whatever followed would be different, so the exact replica of our situations are impossible - although many similar ones could result from the movement of the universe, an many, many, many different ones as well.

5. So if you think everything is pre-determined you think that no matter what I have done in my whole life at one point in my life I was going to have this conversation with you? I had a friend who was really into that theory to the point he was as bad as a radical Christian knocking at my door telling me to get baptized.
    I honestly don't really believe in anything myself, but am always interested to hear what others believe in and why they believe that.

6. Why wuld u compare the holocaust to obama's election? Lol da fuq

7. #7 didier12, Aug 12, 2012
    I wasn't comparing them, just first two common events that everyone would know I could think of.

Anyways in reply too some above comments about the exact same thing not happening. The very fact that were living this out means it's a possibility that this can happen right. And in infinity anything that has even the slightest possibility of happening will happen an infinite amount of times. I dunno I'm really high right now but dont under estimate infinity.

8. Even with free will given the exact same circumstances with no memory recollection you would make the exact same choices wouldn't you?

9. If the universe was infinite...

Every single possibility would have to occur an infinite amount of times...
    If something were to be able to happen ONCE in a infinite universe, it must happen an infinite number of times. Something can't occur a certain number of times, then stop, if it is inifnite. What, is it going to happen 3 times? That makes no sense, in terms of infinity.

Considering the alteration of probabilities between different events, in light of what I described, there must be an infinite amount of different infinities...
    Let me expand upon that idea with a little thought experiment. Suppose a set of numbers that counts upward by 1. So, 1, 2, 3, 4....all the way to infinity. Suppose another set of numbers that counts upwards by 2. So, 2, 4, 6, 8...to infinity. The second set MUST have half the numbers of the first set, yet both are infinite. And so it would be, with an infinite possibility of number-sequences.

10. The idea of infinity sends the mind into the future as it tries to imagine something that is unimaginable. There is no thing called infinity - this is just an idea. All that exists is now.

1...2...3...4...5... and so on for as long as you want. Each number exists now. Each concept that you imagine can go to 'infinity' is still just being seen now.

11. I am left to believe so, if I came to have the same feelings and knowledge I would eventually make the same decisions?

12. What makes you think you would have the same feelings though?

Even if there's no memory recollection, you will still be different as a result of having changed through experience.

Makes me think of the idea some people have of cloning someone like Hitler and ending up with the same personality. Never happen. Same face, but depending on his life experience, this Hitler might be a ballet dancer this time.

13. Hmm I don't know about that, I would say the amount of numbers is equal in both methods of counting. See you say they are counting all the way to infinity, but infinity can't be achieved or reached, it is endless both sets of numbers would have endless numbers making them equal.

14. Yes the endless now, the ever present now, the infinite now.

15. By definition, the set that counts by one always has double the amount of numbers as the set that counts by two.

16. The universe isn't infinite, problem solved.

17. If each time you add one to a set that counts by one, and at the same time add two to a set that counts by two, won't you always have the same amount of numbers in each set?

18. [quote name='"CKTony"']

:(

I don't think the same things would occur - but I think similar ocvurrences could be happening in other places in the universe. Supposing the Big Bang Theory is correct, everything is pre-determined. We have our existence, but other existences going on in unobservable parts of the universe wouldn't be the same because the paths the atoms or neutrinos or whatever followed would be different, so the exact replica of our situations are impossible - although many similar ones could result from the movement of the universe, an many, many, many different ones as well.[/quote]

You mean like a parllel universe or somethin?

19. Yes, I suppose it's somewhat of a confusion of phrasing.

Let us just go two numbers into each set.
    [1,2]
    [2,4]

So here you have two numbers in each set, but the number of the second set is twice the number in the first set. So at any given point of progression in the sets, the second set must be double the first set.

20. #20 esseff, Aug 12, 2012
    But there are still the same amount of numbers in each set.

If we're looking at it from this infinity perspective, the size of the number isn't really important as you can always add another to make it bigger. What seems to matter more is the number of numbers each set contains - which will always be the same.

The more relevant question seems to be: Why are we debating this? :smoke: