Infected Tattoo?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by Oddyball, Nov 4, 2008.

1. It's all soggy looking cos the saran wrap trapped your sweat inside and made your skin all mushy. Other than that, it's just new tattoo stuff.

It couldn't hurt to go to the doctor, but otherwise I'd say take a shower today, and rinse it, but don't use soap, and then use soap on your next shower tomorrow. But don't scrub it. Be gentle.

But I would go to the doctor and/or to the tattoo guy and see if he knows of anything that will help.

2. hopefully the healing didnt get too soft, and it dosn't get too bad.

Good luck on healing man, see a doctor, and think about going to an actual parlour next time.

3. DUDE! Im inked up and I got to say, NONE of mine looked like that, thats not good at all man. Whats weird..people always tell me cover it up, nope, not once out of the ones I have, have any of them been covered up.

Only cover it up (if you do i never have and never will..unless?) for about a half-hour, needs to breathe, dont glob the ink on there either, only put minimal on.

I know I know its different for different people, just thought Id share what I did from one inker to another. Give it a few days and go from there but Ive never seen fresh/healthy ink look like that. But like said, could very well be the ointment, who knows...

4. haha damn that shit is rank bro, get that checked out.

5. I guess they're water blisters from the water and sweat seeping in under the saran wrap, plus the scaring and irritation. I don't care if the ink comes out bad, I just want it to heal and not be infected. I think I'll be okay, just gotta give it a few days. :(

6. If you have health insurance get it checked out rather than waiting a few days and letting it potentially get worse.

7. Neosporin man! My guy always told me to put that on and I never had any problems.

Actually, just go to your nearest walgreens or whatever and ask the guy there. He'll fix you up man! Go now and you'll sleep well tonight. :hello:

It's interesting that your skin isn't red and inflamed. Whenever I've got infected my skin gets hot, red and sore, but neosporin always fixes it up fine.

you'll be right man!

[​IMG]

8. #28 Sam_Spade, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
    See a doctor

Skin and blood infections are no fun.

He'll probably give you a regime of bandage changing and neosporin, but still, this is worth a professional opinion.

To be honest, it doesn't look that bad. The dead skin is deceptive. It looks to me like a lot of the dead skin (white thick tissue) and moisture is from the saran wrap you've had on. It can't breath and your wound is literally drowning. Same thing when you leave any kind of wound dressing on too long.

I suggest you dry it out, let the air get to it. It also looks like you have a minor skin infection. It really doesn't look much worse than something you'd get from bad razor burn.

It's probably more uncomfortable than it is dangerous.

9. #29 KracKerjacK, Nov 4, 2008
    wash it with soap and water and don't apply ointment, let it dry out before you put more ointment on

it looks like your using way to much ointment and thats the problem, your not supposed to glob it on, your supposed to use thin coats multiple times a day, and even with the thin coats it globs up and looksl ike you put to much on, so take a kleenex and dab the excess goo off

so just wash it, let it dry out, and if its still looks like its pussing then go get it checked out, it could just be the ointment globbing up on ya

edit: DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN ON IT unless your sure its infected, bacetration (shit in anti-bacterial ointment) will draw the ink out of your skin

A+D ointment is the only thing you should use, or in a case where you don't have it on hand use vaseline

10. Thanks man. I think that's whats going on. I'm going to see the doc tommorow, but the swelling has gone down. I'm keeping my tat in front of the fan to dry it out, and it's starting to peel. Most of the bumps and swelling is at the base near my wrist where he worked the longest with the most shading. I think it's just extremly traumazied. I'll see my doc tommorow, but it does look better already. :) + rep

11. Aquaphor if it hasnt been mentioned

12. Yup thats what I use.

13. so is it infected or what? :eek:

14. duno, i dont think so, i think it is just really traumatized.

15. Hope its ok oddy!

16. probably pussy n stuff, recovering.

17. try this stuff called tattoo goo, i have had good luck with it. It helps heal your tattoo while at the same time letting the skin breathe.

18. was he running the gun fast? or deep?

19. #39 Oddyball, Nov 4, 2008
    So today I went to the doctor.

He said that the bottom (part of the picture I posted) is a staff infection due to the saran wrap and the sweat. We all have staff on our skin, but because it was an open wound mixed with the sweat in the saran wrap it was a perfect breeding ground for the staff.

He gave me two shots in my ass, one on the left cheek and one on the right. One shot was an antibiotic, and the other was an anti-inflammatory. He also gave me two perscriptions of antibiotics. He told me to rinse it every few hours in cold water and apply the Aquafor. He said it's nothing big, and it should heal within the next few days. He can't promise that the tat will come out perfect, but he said it's something my friend could touch up.

Since the shots, an hour ago, the inflamation has gone down a LOT, as well as the swelling. So I'm very happy that I went today and got professional help for this issue. It puts my mind at ease, and I think it saved my tattoo. He also said the saran wrap acted like an oven, heating my wound.

Don't use saran wrap but only for an hour or two after your tattoo!! I learned the hard way, it's a controversial method and some tattoo artists frown on it. I have sensitive skin naturally, so this wasn't good for me. The tattoo is nice, but it's still a tad red and it's starting to peel. Thanks for all of the advice guys. I wouldn't have gone to the doctor if it wasn't for the majority of you telling me that I should get a medical opinion.

Thanks blades!!!!

PS: THE SHOTS HURT! OMG. The shots hurt so bad in my ass, I couldn't walk for about 15 minutes. It literally felt like someone was pumping glue or yogurt into my cheeks, and then it burned. I started laughing a little while after thinking, "haha, my ass, how sad for you". Because this morning I was constipated due to my pain killers (for wisdom teeth) and I sat on the toilet for about 30 minutes trying to push out a 4 inch thick peice of poo. It was so big, I almost cried.

My poor ass.

20. Holy shit that's scary, I never knew that's what staph looks like. I know someone who died from a staph infection so I am VERY glad you went to the doctor. And I'm glad it's getting better!!! I'm sure it will need some touch up, but that's fine.

I only saranwrap my tatts until the bleeding stops and then take it off and wash right away. All of my tattoos, but one, have turned out amazing, so I must be doing something right when it comes to taking care of them!

Would love to see a full picture once it's better!