Inexpensive closet grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by frymaster, Dec 5, 2012.

1. yeah they are in 5 gallon bags

2. Mini-update-

I've been itching all week to put up pics, but i'm making myself wait till Wednesday lol.

Anywhoo, so far so good with the babies, I'm still dealing with heat issues, which should be solved by the time I actually update. Also got my 4" inline fan and 6" cool tube finally! Installed, still working on venting the tube out of the closet though... it seems i'll be making a hole, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make it light proof, because basically there is just enough room for ducting (to move up and down), only a few inches. But I don't want a shaft of light blasting my front window (it would just be a bunch of blurry light, you cant see though the glass)

Also found out one of only 2 hydro stores in my town will be closing in a month or two... so that kind of sucks, in the fact that i will only be able to go through one in town, but then again... i'm going to be picking up a bunch of cheap amendments! I figure i'll be recycling my soil and just amending it lightly from now on (less is more, that's something I learned fast with organics from all of you amazing people... then I went too heavy anyways), so that shit should last me quite awhile :)

Included is a pic of Dr.Gonzo, my leopard gecko, enjoying the summer in December that is my closet.

Attached Files:

3. hahaha i like the freaken gecko ive read some where in this thread that its not really a good idea to use a 4' inline fan with a 6'in cool tube its better to use a 6inch inline fan with the 6inch tube and i can tell that those babies are healthy and taller too that sucks about your local hydro store i usally buy my stuff on ebay its always cheaper but down side is you have to wait to recieve them

4. Thanks man, he liked chillin with the babies. I didn't put too much thought into using a 4'' inline with a 6'' cool tube, but I do agree with you... its not a great idea, mostly just less air flow since I have to use reducers with my ducing/carbon filter. Oh well, after this harvest I'll upgrade to a 6'' fan, or maybe i'll just add a duct booster fan after the light to help pull air through. I'll figure it out based on funds :) And frick ya ebay! that's where i just got my fan and cool tube :p and yes, the wait was excruciating! But then I saw them packages and it was like early xmas :smoke:

5. lookin good FM

I will definitely suggest starting LST now and prepare to switch to flower (top plant, thin out some inner foliage for air flow. If you want their size under control. you said lemon haze right?

Does the inline fan work for pushing air out? I thought centrifugal fan's were the "right" one.

Though by the looks of it you have it nailed to the T. again, nice going! i'm subbed.

6. Finally! I wen't through all the trouble of writing out my update, had pics uploaded... then my (neighbor's) internet died :( so i've been with out a way to update you all until now... anyways....

Haven't done a whole lot new, Got my tube/fan/filter set up (half of it jury rigged or home made). No smell, cool temps, mid 70s for the most part of the "day" and low to mid 60's at "night". Light can be pretty close to the plants without adverse effects :)

Just picked up a little wally world fishy pump and a homer bucket, havent made any "tea's" yet cause I'm out of worm castings, should be picking some up after xmas when the stores open again.

So far i'm thinking since i dont have much in the line of deficiencies that i'll do a light tea with alfalfa meal, worm castings, either molasses or agave.

Really... its just rockin' guys. thanks for all of your input!

Attached Files:

7. Hey thanks for the advice H2T! I did switch to flower the same day you posted this, so far the stretch hasn't been too bad but i expect a little more.

So far for my little closet this fan set up seems to be working just fine, someday i'll just upgrade to a 6'' and move things around so everything matches up. ah the future...

anyways, i'm not sure how to go about defoliating... i never looked into it that much. any ideas would be helpful!

8. dammm nice plants i see those babys been doing just fine my crop has been doing good to im about 1 month away from harvest =) and i would suggest 1/3 of the bottom off to allow air flow and plus it will focuse all the plants energy to the top colas hope this was helpful

9. Sorry I haven't updated guys! Ladies are looking great, one is giving me slight problems. I'll try to put some picks up tomorrow, not much room in my grow now :)

10. lol yeah i bet theres no more room especially they way they where looking they where looking healthy and a healthy plant is a happy plant and if you treat them right they will return the gester :hello:

11. OK so when I started I meant to update every Wednesday. So far that hasn't really been the case, so I'm sorry this hasn't seemed too exciting. Anyways, this last Wednesday was week 4 on 12/12. Buds are starting to set, got lots of chunky little tops. So far I've had two main phenotypes. Two tall girls with spaced nodes, some places almost 2" between buds. One has 9 fingered leaves, the other 7. Of the 3 short ones, one has 9 fingered leaves. My soil finally evened out for the most part (didn't cook it), and when I water, I usually just use plain water, or plain with a small batch of tea split between them. I defoliated as little as possible, usually just twisting leaves around stems and buds and each other as much as I could. When I got ready to put the plants in, I tie the branches down with hemp string and safety pins that I attach to the fabric pots. Then as they grow to the light, I untie necessary branches to allow better light penetration, or take advantage of empty space ( which there ain't much of). I keep the tall plants on the edges, and try to rotate them, tying and untying to get better coverage to my popcorn buds. That's about all I can think of right now, getting close to the possible half way mark :)

Attached Files:

12. what your doing is cool itssimilar to what i do :D i have a comment have you ever heard of selective harvesting??? you should tuck away any fan leafs that are blocking the light from hiting your nugs also have you gotten or have a 30x mag to check out the triclones when they are ready to harvest and everything looks good to me duces:bolt:

13. It should look similar Reys, I took it from the pictures you showed me of your girls :) I'd love to see those now, I bet they are even more beautiful! Selective harvesting... so a name to what I've been doing! I have my plants tied down and have been taking leaves and pulling them under other leaves and stems and buds so I still get to use them (perfectly healthy) but I still get Max light on the buds. So it's 4 and a half weeks from 12/12, time is flying and I am excited!

14. selective harvesting is when you cut the top colas when you harvest and let the pop corn nugs go on for an extra 2 to 3 weeks so they can play catch up it helps improve yield........and i wish i could take a pic i already harvest my plant they are drying right now then im cure them for a better taste duces.....

ps.dont forget to buy a 30x meg atleast you can buy this at radioshack for 15 bucks they have it its a 60-100x

15. So I've been trying yo update for awhile without luck, my computer took a dive and the App won't let me post pics. I stopped doing worm "teas" for now, they look more than well, sort of. 2 are showing small signs of Nute burn, the worst nute burned being one of the heaviest looking, shorter, hashy spicy girls I have... not a bad thing :) Of the other two shorter ones, one is doing what I would call OK, fatty nug tops and decent popcorn nugs, the other has not large at all tops and kind of wimpy popcorns but I'll see if it fills out. I may just take the tops and make hash or oil out of the rest of it. Now the tall ones... just what I expected when I got the seeds :D lengthier sativa looking girls. Both have lost some leaves, but are still going hard one buds, one I think will be the heaviest, with nice tops and very nice nuggets :p'''0 < that's me drooling because it smells straight up lemony and I can't wait for it to mature (but I will). The other is a lemony hash smell, and not as productive but it's still gorgeous. Today is week 6 from 12/12, Im hoping for some nice filling out from these ladies. Was told 8-9 weeks, I'm thinking it might be 9-10 but I'll have to get that microscope and just go by when they tell me. I'll probaby do the 2 part harvest (selective harvesting) so that I can get a few more nuggets out for myself, I'm not in a rush for space because I never threw new seeds down, I'm going to wait til I'm in a more proper growing environment. I'll get pics up when I can, I'll try to borrow a camera as well, get some nicer pics than my phone is capable of

16. sweeeet i beat they are doing really good i rember those baby where looking nice the last pic what week in flower are youn in???and also you should get the at microscope they are fearly cheap go to a local radioshake and they are about 12 to 15 bucks

17. i have one more question did you ever made clones from your girls?
    ps.gooood job keep up the hard work :hello:

18. Hey reys! Appreciate you sticking with me through this interesting foray into organics :) I'll pick up a microscope next Tuesday or Wednesday, but I wont look through it till the 8th week of flower otherwise I'll probably just be oggling my plants all the damn time and knocking off valuable trichromes. And no, I never took clones :( I don't have the space and I don't think I'll be doing another grow in this location anyways.

Next grow will be a new location, new (verified) genetics, and hopefully a new light/light mover. Other than that... keeping it simple yo

19. yeah i usallly only check the tri on the last week of flower i would love to see how they look now and you should look into hydro ive heard good things about this method of growing :wave:

20. I have security issues. Thinking about tearing it all down.