Indoor Sativa

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SaikoRonin, Oct 7, 2008.

1. I was just making the preperations for everything i need for my first grow,

I have a 4'x6' space with 9 foot ceiling. I planned on growing A Sativa/Tall Plant to maximize this space, This should work well if i use adequate lighting( I will be using 1,000-1.200 watts)

Since this is my first grow Im going to get a sturdy tall plant that shouldnt be too difficult to grow, For this I chose the Purple Widow strain.

I will be making my own ebb and flow system to maximize growth.

Does anybody have any suggestions about this particular strain or things I should keep in mind? Such as a good Temperature for this plant( I heard that it should be grown at a lower temperature to increase the purple color)

---l- Ronin

Btw the ventilation/Air Flow system I have in place is extremely well thought out and will be more than adequate.

2. average temps should be 70-85, and keep it on the cooler side with the lights off and i've heard that helps bring out purples

3. How about suggestions about growing a taller plant like this. I heard that this plant could grow extremely high. My plan was to grow them in the 9' space and thatll leave about 7-8' with the lights. and if they grow too tall i will bend them/cut them back

4. #4 chemicalcomfort, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
    you're gonna be vegging for a long time if you want them to get that tall. i'd guess 8-10 weeks maybe more, but you'll get lots of bud.

not sure ebb and flow is the best kind of system to grow tall plants as they don't have much in the way of support. i'd go with bubble buckets if i were you.

5. #5 Paul Ocks, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
    Maybe a bit out of topic but I think this will give you some reference to your question.

Most Sativas grow outdoors to redicilous heights (up to 20 feet and more). Haze/Sativas stretch out A LOT more and faster, also in the flowering stage (maybe thats why they grow smaller and less buds/m3 compared Indicas), than Indicas.

Ive been for over ten years dreaming of an "optimal" strain which would grow like Indica but give flowers reminiscent of a Sativa. And even though I still find it hard to believe it looks like these guys have achieved it. Take look at this video and compare it to Aryans Haze #1 and #2 to get some reference about Sativa growth in general.

http://www.greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index.php?target=products&product_id=14

6. 8-10 weeks vegging? at 2 months of vegging I dont know if the return is worth the time involved.

Perhaps a tiered system of plants would work, with hanging buckets halfway up and 2 levels of lights :D and then Id just grow white widow on one level and AK-47 on the other and see what happens. If i spaced the lights right then the lights on the bottom would get direct light from the lights directly above it and filtered light from the first level up above.

It would definetely be worth a try someday :smoke:

7. wow saikoRonin, you just gave me the greatest idea ever for when i move to a bigger location and can have more room. Keep a journal with lots of pics! I want to see this!!!

8. I don't see what the problem is. Who wouldn't like a marijuana tree?;) and 8-10 weeks of vegging seems like standard practice to me, but keep in mind that plants double/triple (grow a shitload) in size when you switch to flowering.

9. dont u think 1000-1200 watts is alittle overkill? u chould proably get a 200wattcfl with good results for ur space and have alot less heat and it whould cost u ALOT less for eletric. a 1000-1200 watt light is gonna make a huge spike in ur billl not to mention the fans pumps and other bs u gonna have to use. i know hid lamps r better but u dont need that much

10. I was thinking the same thing when it came to your lights. I dont know about how many plants you plan on growing but thats alot of Watts. I'd go with a 600 watt, and grow like 8 plants. Get like a lbs or so every 3-4 mnths..

11. Im actually in a unique situation where i can procure a 1000 Watt HPS cheaper than the 600 I had picked out.

Im going to try for about 8-10 Plants total but I will grow around 20 from seed to start the harvest and if there are more than 10 females then I will grow them all untill the veg cycle is over and ditch the smallest plants, and then take the biggest at that point and put it aside to keep vegging as a mother.

I have a feeling that the plants wont mind the extra 400 watts :D

-Ronin

12. You are going to need ventilation with 1000 watts. My 250 gets hot as it is, I can only imagine what 1000 watts in a confined space would do.

-C

13. I will have a squirrel cage fan pumping the air out through ducting to be redistributed, and that will be in addition to the fans I will have running.

A helpful suggestion would be how strong of a squirrel cage I will need to buy,

also I will be pumping all the air through an activated carbon charcoal canister so a slightly stronger pump or 2 smaller pumps will be necessary(one on each side of canister)