Indoor & Outdoor Personal Grow in Seattle

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by baconman1945, May 23, 2017.

1. Thanks, 3Deez! That kind of reinforced what I knew about mushrooms, but that bit about hyphae strands was a new one. I've seen those in the woods down near Olympia before.

Do you think that that mold inside of the wheat straw is beneficial? The article didn't reference mold (one comment did, but I think it was unrelated), and I'm still unsure how to proceed.

I really appreciate the help!

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm no expert on the subject by any stretch. I'm mainly assuming that it's common soil fungi based on the fact that it appeared after the application of mulch. I get this all the time in my pots when I top dress. It never causes any issues here. If you want, you can scrape it off the soil and get rid of it then let the soil dry out between waterings.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ah, thanks! I guess I'll let it be unless the plant starts to show signs of stress or until I learn something that points me in another direction. Again, I appreciate the input!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Happy Independence Day, everyone!

Day 44 - Y Griega CBD
    78264F43-225D-4040-895C-F038B5FEDFDB.jpg C6ADFB8E-7845-4F2A-86CC-6318B76B6416.jpg
    Both ladies are doing very well! They each are showing some slight nutrient toxicity, I think, but the signs are decreasing. I gave them a second tea with some EWC, molasses, neem meal, kelp meal, and alfalfa meal about 10 days after the first tea that I gave them, and that tea seems to have triggered the toxicity (maybe because of that super soil that I used?). Since then, I've given them only straight water that I have bubbling.

I've trimmed back some of the lower growth on #1 (the left one), and continued LSTing both. I'll trim up #2 (the right one) in a day or two. I supercropped a few central branches on both of them.

All in all, I'm happy with them.

I'm still working on my blumat system -I never have as much time as I'd like to get the carrots dialed in before having to leave the house- so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get them installed this week. Does anyone here have experience with Blumats? I've read that they need to be monitored for the first several hours because runoffs are likely.

I'm thinking that I'll flip the lighting to 12/12 pretty soon. I have plenty of vertical space, but the tent is starting to fill up at canopy level.

Day 42 - AutoWhite Widow
    IMG_2278.JPG IMG_2277.JPG
    This little girl has finally started growing a bit, which is cool to see. She's showing a few pistils at bud sites so I'd estimate that she's towards the beginning of week two of flower. She's supposed to be a ~75 day harvest from seed popping through harvest, but I'll be very surprised if she matures that quickly. At this point, I'm just hoping to harvest before September rains start.

She received the same tea as the YG CBDs on the same day (a week or so ago?), and only water since then, also. She's not showing any signs of stress, and the fungus that was spreading across the mulch has disappeared. I've treated her with a week neem spray, and I'm probably going to treat her with some Serenade spray and a second treatment of neem spray before she gets too much further into flower. She hasn't shown any WPM, but my sage (in a bed near her) has. I'm using the neem and yellow sticky paper to finish off some fungus gnats that travelled into the garden, beginning with the herbs.

Stay safe on the roads tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Your plants are looking good baconman.or at least they were on the 4th lol

Hope all is well.

J

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanks, Jerry! I think they're looking even better now! It's due to the input from the folks in Organics -yourself included- who have chimed in, and to Chunk for bringing those folks to my journal! I'll post an update today!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. There's a good gang here at GC, many of which have been hanging out together for quite a few years now - it's a good thing. Glad to hear of the positive results!

J

• Like Like x 2
  8. Day 55 - Y Griega CBD
    IMG_2324.JPG IMG_2318.JPG
    Both ladies are looking pretty great. I've trimmed back lower growth a bit, and I've watered with Pro-Tekt once and straight water other than that until today. All signs of nutrient excess (they were only slight) are gone. Today, I watered thoroughly with a compost tea that had some EWC, Neptune's Harvest, kelp extract, and molasses in it. I finally installed the Blumats so things are pretty automated.

I'm waiting on a few shorter tops to reach the canopy a bit more (I trimmed and tucked the leaves that were shading them), and then I'll flip to flower. I expect to flip before the end of the month. Flower should be around 9-10 weeks to harvest, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much they stretch. This strain is supposed to be mostly sativa, but the growth seems more dense with wider leaves so I'm curious to see how they grow.

Day 53 - AutoWhite Widow
    EBD4AC36-FD25-48FC-B188-F2A6374256EF.jpg
    She's past the stretch! I compared notes and pictures of my girl with another blade growing the same strain from the same breeder, and mine is definitely a week behind where his is, despite the fact that we're in similar latitudes. She's looking super healthy -other than one fan leaf that yellowed at the center of the very bottom- so I'm not too concerned.

She got the same tea as the indoor girls to help her along. By the breeder's timeline, harvest should be in three to four weeks, but I'd bet closer to five. Is there any point at which I should no longer give her teas or top-dress? I think the soil has everything it needs through harvest at this point, but I'm just curious to know if you could give a tea the week before harvest, if you wanted.

The gnats are still around, but there are only one or two. I've been treating with neem spray, and I'll probably give another treatment in a few days. The sage's WPM seems to be gone since the Serenade that I treated it with and the semi-regular neem treatments. I have found one or two aphids, as well as some other bugs that I didn't recognize, so I'm going to release some ladybugs out there this evening.

All in all, things are moving along nicely, but comments, suggestions, and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Damn that low-key does make more sense... how do you even know how much to add?And by you saying tea, I take it all those items are solid matter added to water? That sounds like a lot at first but way easier in the long run since you don't need to check on em..

Bruh... ypur first pic of the indoor looks fuckin amazing, robust and healthy for sure.. what strain is that? How is it so bushy and full? Did you only top and not prune?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Can you use ladybugs even when using an insect killer? Does it affe t them ?I bought 300 and literally none stayed

11. Hahaha thanks, AZGREENery!

On the first few pages of my journal, the people that have dropped by pasted links for comments and threads for some valuable (GOLD) information that exists throughout the Organics forum. Those links contain information on quantities for what should be in soil that you mix yourself, and a few of them have information on teas. Truthfully, though, I just kind of ballpark stuff.

For topdressings, I use more EWC than other amendments, and I try to look at the NPK ratios on the box and mix what I think seems okay between the following:
    - oyster shell
    - neem seed meal
    - kelp meal
    - alfalfa meal
    - fish bone meal
    - humic acid

For teas, I've used the same list, minus the oyster shell and humic acid. To make them, I do the following:
    - Aerate a five gallon bucket of tap water for 24 hours minimum with an air pump. Mine is a 40 gallon air pump, and I wouldn't want a smaller one in my five gallon bucket
    - Sometimes, I add a few tablespoons of Pro-Tekt silica
    - Add a tablespoon or two of molasses
    - Once, I've added Neptune's Harvest fish fertilizer
    - Wrap up my solid amendments in cheese cloth and drop it into the bucket, securing it to something on the outside of the bucket so it's easy to remove
    - Aerate for 24-48 hours. Under 36 hours produces more bacteria, and over 36 hours produces more fungi. I've never gone past 48 hours, but I've read that the bacteria generated past 48 hours are bad. It has to do with aerobic vs anaerobic bacteria.

In regards to the plants, thanks! They are both Y Griega CBD by Medical Seeds Co. It's a Spanish company so I'd guess that the strain name means something like 'And Greek CBD' in English. It's supposed to be mostly sativa, but I think I got an indica phenotype with both seeds that I popped.

I'm using two LEDs that pull up to 330 wall watts a piece when both the white and red spectrums are on. Right now, I'm only using the white spectrum. I haven't measured them with my kill-a-watt meter, but I'd venture to guess that I have at least 300, maybe 400 wall watts shining on them from between 22-24 inches so that keeps growth pretty dense.

I've LST'd throughout the whole process with this tape from Lowes, and I've topped each plant once and supercropped a few tall branches for each once. The topping built more tops early on, and the supercropping maintained the even canopy. The LST just pulled open the middle, and I let the plant do it's thing!

Credit goes to the plant, man. I just assist when needed!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Personally, I'd shy away from the insect killer. Inside, I haven't had any insects that I can see (probably some in the soil, but they're not bothering me!), and outside, I have some gnats, flies, earwigs, etc. To combat them I take a few steps:
    - Dump all standing water in the area
    - Spray stuff down with neem oil spray -it's organic, and plants like it! I messes up some of the bad bugs
    - Release beneficial bugs: predatory mites, Nemasys, and lady bugs

Ideally, a large number of the beneficial bugs will stick around, but that doesn't always happen (if there isn't enough food around, they'll leave or die) so I keep at it with my neem.

13. Yea ok I need to get that neem oil, dude at the hydro shop keeps pushing it on me when I go buy my spray because all I'm dealing with is spider mites mainly and some thrips.. we just got some rain to there's no bugs as of now but I should go get that neem oil tomorrow before the bugs come back..

I've just been eerie of using a chemical sounding ingredient to water and feeding that to my plant. I feel as though it'll ingest that and make it taste funny.. I know I'm contradicting myself.. tell me I'm wrong tho so I can go get that neem oil lol..

Man your grow is amazing and I can learn a lot from you man.. let's be friends lmao

• Like Like x 1
  14. I did LST in like month 2 when it was barely a foot tall... I took off the tie after like a month and I have a bent stem, but a fat knuckle, it's bent in a way that it'll withstand wind because it's kindle like s prop system, it's dope lol

And here's some pics of this morning after the storm last night.. it got about 20 min of the rain. And I got that tarp up

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nope, as long as you pick up something with neem as the active ingredient with a really high (above 60%?) percentage of neem, you're good. Some products with lower percentages have fillers -well, all products have fillers, but the ones with lower percentages have more. The product should say OMRI certified and organic.

Neem is a type of tree in India, and people extract the oil from the seeds of the neem tree. It's a phenomenal natural pesticide, and a great source of nutrients for your plant, particularly nitrogen, when neem seed meal is made into a tea or topdressing.

Nice move with the tarp. The rain is natural water, but I want to limit the moisture that hits my buds. I should probably get something figured out in case we get rain.

Your plants look great. How tall do you expect they'll get by harvest?

16. Yes I read rain water is 6.0! So imagine if your deepest soil is already 6 6.5 and top soil is 7, that shit getting bumped down and I think that's why the plants look so refreshing the morning after.. it didn't get much of the rain but got a fair amount.. I'm not budding so everyone's been saying don't worry about the rain but I'm like what if it washes off all the sugars on leaves n shit like that

17. Will i get N burn? And how often do you give

18. And I think it'll hit 4 feet.. it's 33 inches now

19. #79 baconman1945, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Look healthy?
    IMG_2361.JPG soil photo.jpg
    Mixed it up a little more than three weeks ago. It's about three cubic feet. I used a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, compost (Cedar Grove and composted chicken manure), and pumice. I added probably a gallon of EWC between the two tubs, in addition to the following:
    -soft rock phosphate
    -azomite
    -gypsum
    -oyster shell
    -neem seed meal
    -kelp meal
    -alfalfa meal
    -fish bone meal
    -humic acid
    -ground no2 malted barley

Since initially mixing it, I've stirred it up twice, including last night, when I very thoroughly mixed it up and added a bit more than a half gallon of water. Other than that, it's just resting in my garage! I'm planning on using it for my next grow, and since I didn't mix the soil that I'm currently growing in, I'm going to cycle that soil through one of these tubs with some EM-1.

Also, I started a worm bin three or four weeks ago, and things are going really well! I've been keeping the top layer of newspaper damp, spraying some water on it every few days, and I'm not bothering them other than that. The bin seems to mostly have been turned to castings, but some of the produce that I initially put in there seems to have rooted and is actually growing in the bin... Any thoughts on what this is? This photo is from when I was showing my wife the bin. She wasn't too curious initially...
    IMG_2360.JPG
    I think that the next time I open the bin, I'll pluck all of these guys out so the worms will eat them. Probably not a big deal, but it surprised me that some of the seeds from produce that I put in there was able to grow in the darkness.

20. lol I don't think that the rain will disturb the trichomes.
    I've never had any nitrogen toxicity, even with feeding the teas like I have every few weeks. I had a slight nutrient toxicity, evidenced by some really dark leaves with a few spots on a couple of leaves, but it went away quickly. Truthfully, the plant just sorts itself out, man!
    Nice, that's a pretty good height! I wish that I was able to grow outdoors without concerns about stealth. I have a few items that conceal my autowhite widow from the street, and I have to rely on goodwill with the neighbors to keep it confidential. On the plus side, my LST with that little girl worked out pretty well! She's able to catch the sun really well. I'm excited to trim off the leaves while she's still in one piece and take a photo with just colas standing up.