indoor-outdoor lighting question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jac892, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hey im planning on starting a plant indoor and moving outdoor.

grow room is big enough for the 1 plant im doing to grow full...but the hole i have to slip thru to get to room is pretty damn small maybe 2 feet somethin by ~4. so i will have to move plant outside to additionally veg. because of that transport restriction if i want any kind of decent yield

my question is what light cycle? I live in PA close to philly, the summers are hot. if i schedule my grow so that i move it out mid june, it will be going into a light cycle between 12/12 and 18/6. gets dark by 8 or 9 if i remember correctly and sun comes up around 6 depending on day i guess? maybe shave an hour or two off those cuz at those times the sun wont be hitting plant (geurilla) i need the plant to veg more if at all possible at that amount of outdoor light.

any input us greatly appreciated. idk whether to go 24/24 and switch or 18/6 to maybe 'soften' the gap of light it will recieve. im sure some1 has had a situation similar. thanks

:wave::hello:

2. bumpity:eek::confused:

3. I have somewhat of a similar grow going on. I just switched to a 12/12 cycle to start flowering but through the veg cyclt I had her on 18/6. I'd take the plant outside at 9 a.m. bring back in around sunset and put her in the box and switch on the lights until 3 a.m. Plant got pretty big that way, I juuuust switched cycles and she's standing 2'4' and about 24" wide.

Have my grow prety much catologed from early veg, check it out if you want
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/459182-got-dank.html

4. the indoor is a temporary spot it's a geurilla grow, forgot to mention that. so i cant really bring it in and out. i was bored yesterday and found a rly good spot outside as a perm spot with a very large opening in trees above it. ( like no canopy type thing ) the trees are dead around it but there are alot of other plants like 3 feet tall to disguise. so that will help wit sun.

thinking about it, i think ill be fine. its rly hot and sunny in the summers most of the time and how much more sun can other places have than here?

maybe i was over thinking the outdoor sun issues? any1?

5. Ah so this grow is for next year, cause you're on the same coast as I am and an outdoor grow now ain't gonna happen.

There is no overthinking an outdoor issue, I might only have one grow under my belt...partially, but I've had plenty friends grow outdoors. There are lots of things to worry about so good preparation can be the difference of a good crop and a phenominal one.

I dunno when is the "best" time to start but I heard an interesting rumor. Apparently 4/20 aside from being the day to smoke like no other it's also the day to start your crop. You can pretty much use whatever cycle you want starting out, once you move the plant outdoors it will adjust on its own. Since you ant the plant to veg a lot before you move it, a 24/0 cycle could work for you until you take your girl out. Just make sure your girl is a girl and not a dude, nothing is worse than going to check on your crop to find it's been pollenated by a male. It's rather depressing, I speak from experience. My friend was pissed.

6. yea im prolly gonna start the plant mid may and bring it out in june.

if ur on the east and have had friends grow outdoors then the problem im concerned with right now should be ok.

i only have enough room inside for about a month depending on how it goes, and i want the plant to veg outside as well so i can get some meat on her bones. if ur friends grew outdoors then obviously they veg'd outside in similar lighting conditions and i should be ok.

but is going from 24/0 indoor to outdoor which is more than 12/12 but less than 18/6 too much of a jump? i wouldnt know, but i would think starting 18/6 indoor would put less of a change on the plant which could help.

7. Yeah he grew in 5 gallon buckets, by the time he harvested the plants where taller than me. I'm 6 feet so those where some tall ass plants. I'f you're concerned about shock from when you move the plant outside then a 18/6 cycle should be fine. Thats what I used for my plant all throughout veging and she got pretty damn big and still growing.

My friend didn't really attmpt to grow "proper" weed. He put them in the bucket and that was that. I don't think he used any kind of fert and the plants grew straight up, didn't get bushy at all. I suggest you look for a good area where the entire plant will recive sunlight not just the tops because I think thats why his didn't fill out...that and he had like 4 plants per bucket. He also let the males pollenate the females which sucked all kinds of ass...I cried on the inside when I saw that. Unlike me he actually went out and bought good seeds offline, he just planted bagseeds near them and the males had their fun.

I just posted new pix on my grow, they should give you a good idea of about how big your plant can get under good conditions. Since yours will be planted outside it has the oppertunity to get much larger than mine...I wish I had a bigger pot.

8. yea ill have some kinda Mylar rig around the bucket. maybe use some extra wire i have that will be angled on the top rim of bucket (reflecting to bottom and middle of plant) and then just glue or stick Mylar onto it. only gonna have 1 cfl indoor. im also topping and lst-ing as much as possible. when it comes to maintenance and stuff, consider it indoor i guess. hoping to visit and inspect/water every day.

when i get my car drive-able again i will go out and get the supplies i need for the indoor part and start doing baby grows until the summer comes and i do it for real. ill be treating it like i'm doing the indoor-outdoor with topping and lsting, but switch to 12/12 instead of going outdoors.

prolly only gonna be a few bud sites but i dont want that much, just practice. get a couple g's every 2 months or whatever from bagseed. if its even female that is

9. Sounds good, you can get a sizeable bounty with lst...that so cool looking too. I'd try it but I like big bushy plants, and I'm too lazy to put the effort into it.

My plant came from bagseeds and it's doing great, if you grow it right you can get some dank from bagseeds. I look at it like this, if you're using the seeds it had to be a decent smoke. And if it was a decent smoke and it wasn't dank, what will it be like if you grow it as dank. You could end up with something 10x better than what you got the seed out of.

10. #10 jac892, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    yea i dont believe in significantly more potent strains, only significantly more potent growers

11. Pretty much, although there are some strains I'd love to grow. Fucking Incredible looks and smokes just as the name imples, I'm too poor to buy seeds though so guess I'm assed out.

12. well of course. you know what i mean