Indoor No Till Hugel Beds

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by JMcGD, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Thanks guys!
    Yeah, I was crushed and pretty humiliated at the same time... worst disaster I’ve had in years... ever actually.
    And all this when I finally get the balls to put up a grow journal. Oh well, warts and all as the Brits say!
    Overall, I did learn a couple of things. Aside from the friggin obvious, I’m amazed at how much heartache, suffering, and pain these amazing plants can handle and keep right on chugging away. I basically poisoned them and they still want to live.
    I’m also certain that the environment created by the Hugel bed really helped them to recover better. Even in new soil ( first run) those three fared way better than the older beds. I’ll bet the consistently available moisture provided by the logs/ chips base gave them a leg up.
    I’m planting a ton (25+) of cannabis and veggie plants into 25- 35 gallon fabric pots for the indoor grow as well as the greenhouses (x3!) I built. I will absolutely be applying a 3-4” base of the cottonwood chipped material to the bottom of each pot.
    Mini Hugels!
    :rave-girl:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. now im more exited to try mine... im definetly planting in it this year now

• Like Like x 2
  3. Warts n all! Lol! Do you plan on having the indoor beds actively growing year round? Or do you take some time off? I plan on starting 2 indoor no till sips soon, I'm gonna hugelize them somewhat, but it gets too hot ,may to August I won't grow

• Like Like x 5
  4. mine are outdoor, i dont have the necessery to try this inside :p
    one day maybe

• Like Like x 1
  5. I’m a Hugel addict now... completely obsessed!
    I’ll be borrowing a skid steer next week to dig out a large, shallow trench to begin a true outdoor Hugel. It’s gonna be big, and I’m going to build it in a classic hill formation, tall enough to keep me from gardening on my knees!

• Like Like x 4
  6. regarding the orientation of the hugel outdoors...

is it important? N-S or E-W ?

i assume minimizing a northern Surface area would be better?
    But at the same time i see advantages of going E-W also...

So many questions... lol
    I ask and think too much sorry :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. If you have a sloped area build your hugel across the slope and it will catch rain and nutrients that run off the slope.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Let the games begin! Yeeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!! KIMG1745.JPG KIMG1742.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks! I mentioned the one hugel to my wife, and then there were 3 lol! You should of seen her face hahahaha! I can't stop laughing! When I told her again how it works and the ease of it she smiled

• Like Like x 2
  10. This is why there is the expression in french: "Ce que femme veux, Dieu le veux!" it meants "What women wants, God wants!" lolll

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lol! I gotta tell that to my brother in-law, he's from France:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. if you ever want to be a french smart ass... PM me...ill hook you up with some clever shit ;) hahahaha

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ha! Sounds good, tnx, I'll be seeing little frog soon:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy on the name calling :p i still am a decendant of the pond he croaks.... ;)
    i may speak the language of the conqueror... but i am still a resistor :p i support my roots as my roots as supported me :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. From what I read, you can do either one depending on what you plan on growing. A north /south orientation will give you an option for a shaded side in the afternoon and an East/ west version will give you more consistent light on all sides. I’m probably going to build my first on north /south.

That’s true, but I read an article about doing it on hillsides or filling swales with Hugel tech. It did not recommend it due to the fact that as the wooden base collects all of that water like a sponge during a heavy rain it will become incredibly heavy and unstable, potentially leading to a landslide down the slope of all you’re hard work!

That’s how ya do it right there! Good job... I’m next! :passtheshit:

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. That’s how ya do it right there! Good job... I’m next! :passtheshit:[/QUOTE]
    Thanks man! I'm exhausted, buddy lent me bobcat for a few days, I did the whole property, 2 acres hills and woods,;), , and thanks again you got me started on this!:thumbsup:, wife don't like the way the yard looks:biggrin:, but that's what rakes and shovels and two sons are for:biggrin: lol, as far as layers, I got the wood and more coming, I also have the dirt that's there, scraped up hummus from forest, organic cow poop, hay a, leaves ,grass aplenty, I'm going to mound these up as high as I can. What order would you put these on The beds? Also, is it okay to put this on your thread? Thanks:) KIMG1780.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. No worries! Those look great!
    I’ve been researching quite a bit on these, but the technique is so simple that most of the information is basically the same. Here is one article that breaks it down nicely..
    Permaculture magazine
    IMO... those beds look like about the right depth. I think you might want some larger diameter material as the base layer though. Those look like they will be big, long term Hugels, so you’ll want to give them plenty of fuel for the long haul. I’d try and get some logs in there, the bigger the better for the base. If you can get hardwoods, use those at the base as well, with a mix of the softwoods if possible. Try to source wood that is already fallen and is various stages of decay. The soggy, rotten, fungus laden material is what you want. I’ve read that if you use too much green wood material that it won’t be releasing any of that nitrogen anytime soon, so adding a nitrogen source would be important in that scenario. As the green wood decays and begins to breakdown it will release the nitrogen more easily, so starting with aged wood is helpful (but not necessary).
    Anyway, larger base material, then all of those smaller branches on top of that. If you can get aged wood chips those make a great addition as well, and they really help fill in the dead spaces in between the wood layer. Your leaves and grass can do the same thing I guess. Humus and compost, maybe some topsoil and a mulch layer and you should be good to go!
    It’s snowing here this weekend or I’d be out building one myself. I did just put together a sweet hot tub Hugel house, I’ll get up some pics!:)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Thanks man, and thanks 4 the article, I've read bits and pieces here and there before but never the whole article, I got some more oak n maple, and grass today, and alota forest dirt KIMG1850.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. Looks like you’re moving right along.
    One of the articles I read said to strive for a ratio of 30% wood materials to 70% compost, soil and mulch.

• Like Like x 4