indoor lighting schedule for seedlings

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by tweakz, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Have a few seedlings that are started ATM (1st set of leaves) with 24/0 lighting. Planning on transplanting them outside in about 3 weeks due to no leaves and sprouts on plants here yet and tons of deer (40 N). My question lies here, plants are 60/40 mix and at about the time I transplant seedlings will want to flower due to the 14/10 lighting of April. Can I change the lighting schedule now on the seedlings and slowly lower the lighting like 30 mins a week ( twice the rate of outside) to more closely resemble the lighting pattern of outside?

Ive never started plants indoors and switched them to outside before. Am I just over thinking this or does it sound like legitimate reasoning? :confused:

My idea was to start my seedlings at 16/8 and over the next month lower lighting to 14/10 (30 mins a week adjustment)so that once transplant outdoors plants will still veg without jumping back and forth between cycles.

2. Well since no reply, what do most of you do with seedlings when u start indoors and switch to outside?

Are most plants switched to flower when put outside? June 21st will give me roughly 15 hours of sun but I'm not setup to veg inside until then.

I guess my only main consern would be lowering the lighting time so close to flowering specs that the plant will not know what to do since so close to flowering. I really don't want 1 month old plants flowering as soon as I plant them outside missing the 2 extra months to veg.

I'll take anything insightful here!

3. im on the east coast too so i know what you mean i usually put my plants out around the last week of may first week of june they tend to veg a lil even tho theres only 15 hours of light an then start flowering late in july early august i start my seeds indoors on 24 hours on and just transition them outdoors by slowly introducing them to the direct sunlight.. ive heard this stress the plants a little but i havent had many hermied on me maybe once or twice in the several years ive been doing it. but if you were to lower your light schedule by 30 minutes every 3-5 days until your hour match outside u would lower the amount of stress on them

Check out my Royal Purple Kush, Royal Caramel and Special Queen#1 grow http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-...royal-purple-kush-super-silver-haze-grow.html

4. While doing a lot of searching and reading lots of forums on the matter, most seem to just run a 16/8 Before transplanting outside. I'm still gonna attempt to get plants around 14/10 if I can as I have nowhere inside to keep them longer than the end of the month. They already go outside until temps drop to the 40s then I bring em in let em warm up some and put them back under lights for the rest of the night.

5. I always germinate seeds under a 16/8 schedule that matches the sunrise/sunset time in my area. corto can vouch for this method.

6. corto is that dude i havent seen on since i made this new acct.... but i think the lighting u use during veg as long as its above 16 hours on isnt that big of a deal... a bigger worry u should have is that u have 0 light leaks because that will hermie a plant faster then anything else ive seen

Check out my Royal Purple Kush, Royal Caramel and Special Queen#1 grow http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-...royal-purple-kush-super-silver-haze-grow.html

7. Write this down somewhere tweakz because its gospel. Ive studied flowering times for years and if you obey these rules, youll always be fine.

Cannabis from seed takes 4-6 wks from germination to determine its sexuality. You can plant these seeds in april when the light is still low,or transplant freshly sprouted seedlings and the seedlings/ plants wont try to flower and will grow and be fine.

If however, you start the seedlings indoors and grow them for lets say 4 wks, then they are ready to determine sexuality and if youset those seedlings out in light less than 14.75hrs they willl indeed begin to flower

Clones are sexually mature as well. They know exactly what their sex is and like the 4 wk old seedling, they are simply standing by waiting for a short daylength. And because clones are very mature, they require a full 15 hrs of daylenth before being planted outdoors.

My clone planting date is May 20. If i plant clones before then, they will flower. If i plant 4 wk old seedlings before 14.5, then they will begin to flower as well. If i plant freshly sprouted seedlings on April 21, they,ll be 24" tall on may 15 and headed for the sky.

If you want to plant early, seeds are your only alternative. Pregrown plants and clones must be held until 14.5+.

good luck and happy harvest

8. Listen to Clod; he is one of the outdoor gurus!

9. Clod,

What genetics are you putting out there this year?

10. Clod I could use ur help since your pretty knowledgable in the subject of outdoor timing...... I need to find the best way to do outdoors in Florida weather it be starting indoors or starting outdoors but during the right time.... If you check the light schedules for Florida u will see we barely go over 15 hours i think its for like two weeks and then the rest of the year we are under 15 hours

11. how goes? i'm new ya'll and i just planted my second babes of the season i am going o'naturale on this one and have little expertise herei know that the bud the seeds came from was pretty good if i let them grow all on their own what kind of results can i expect? from the research i've done i know that they are not going to yeild the best results but just how well should i expect to fair?