Indoor Growing Questions...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Deleted member 801210, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Hey everyone! New to the forum! So I got fed up with all the expensive low quality weed that's been sold where I live and I decided to grow my own. But I'm a total newb so I would love some help!

I'm planning to grow indoors more specifically in my closet but I'm a bit concerned about the smell. Does the plant itself smell or just the buds when they're drying?

Also I'm a bit short in time so are there any seeds that will take less than 3 months for me to harvest? Which one grows faster autoflower seeds or regular?

Lastly can you suggest any seeds that grow fast and have a faily good yield?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions! :D

2. The smell gets stronger and stronger as flowering goes on. Drying buds also smell really strong lol

3. Look into auto strains man. Quick finishers. 8-10 weeks average.

They will smell yeah. Just get a carbon filter set up it's not expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Thanks for the info people! Any other advice?

5. Read up as much as you can but experience comes from being hands on so don't be scared to make a start.

6. Hey Vaki,

Yes you are going to need a lot of gear but it is definitely possible.

If you are concerned about the smell get a carbon filter as mentioned above and make sure your fan can suck out plenty of CFMs to facilitate the intake of fresh air. If you're still worried about smell get a bucket of ona deodorizing gel(can be found at Home Depot). Poke holes in the lid of the bucket - this works quite well to combat the smell.

If you grow in your closet you need to figure out if you wanna do soil or hydro. Since you're a first timer I would suggest soil. Go with Fox Farm Ocean Forest, don't get any soil with fertilizer already in it. I'll do a quick run down of the gear you'll need...

Soil
    Pots
    Seeds or clones
    Exhaust fan
    Carbon Filter
    Plywood to fix up the closet if you need to
    Ducting for the exhaust vent
    Ballast
    Plugin wall socket timer
    Magnetic or digital ballast
    A wing hood OR air cooled hood(more expensive n difficult)
    Metal Halide Bulb or HPS bulb or both, or CFLs(easiest)
    5-10 socket power strip preferably w/ short out prevention
    Small 4-7inch clip on fan to blow on the plants inside
    Nutrients (not required but will make the buds better)
    Extension Cords (maybe)

That's pretty much it....I know it's a lot, but that's what's required.

Tell me if you need any more advice and feel free to message me anytime..

Good luck bro!

Peace!!!😎

7. #7 lFourTwenty, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014

How is an air cooled hood more difficult? I would argue that it's less difficult because you won't be constantly battling heat issues throughout the grow.

If I had a wing reflector instead of air cooled hood, the temperature in my tent with the light on would easily be over 110 degrees.

Also would argue your point about CFLs being easiest..you could definitely say CFLs are the cheapest(to buy and run), but I wouldn't say they are the easiest..any light can be "easy" to grow with, as long as you know how far to keep it away from the plants.

The yield difference between CFL and HID is night and day..CFL growing wouldn't even be worth doing for me..the yield is insignificant when you compare it to growing with an HPS light. If you are only planning on growing one very small plant, grow with CFLs.

Out of everything you wrote those are the only 2 points I disagree with..overall good list with good information.

8. FourTwenty,

From a beginners point of view CFLs are definitely the easiest to start with. Cheap to run and buy, and they give off restively low amounts Of heat depending on how high the wattage is.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend an aircooled hood for a first timer. Yes it keeps your temps lower and more easily manageable, but it can be difficult to setup for someone who has none to little experience of growing plants.

That's jus how I see it I guess. Start off with CFLs, get your feet wet, have a taste of success and branch out from there.

I see your argument though and it is valid, that would jus be my recommendation for him tho.

9. Hey I'm a first time grower and growing In my closet too. I got a switchable ballast MH-HPS with an air cooled hood. As a first timer this seems easier to me. It's the set up you're gonna want in the long run, plus there is more available literature on HIDs. I say spend the money and get the good set up. Other than that, the list that dude posted is really good. I'll stay posted on this thread though cause I'm sure I've dealt with a lot of problems you're gonna run into trying to get set up. Good luck buddy.

That's my logic..setting up a hood is nothing lol takes like 5 minutes max..nothing to be afraid of at all. And if you know you're going to be upgrading to an air-cooled hood, why waste the money buying a wing reflector in the first place? Fuck going slow..grow a pound or more on your first grow  :smoking:

11. Lolz okay okay that's true about the saving money part. Go wit the aircooled hood then!😋

12. Hey what nutes do y'all recommend for veg?

Earth juice is good..they have veg and flowering nutes. Also fox farms, biobizz, general hydroponics.

14. #14 wallywally, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    These are probably some of the most advanced nutrients you can purchase. Lab quality with the micro to macro ratios completely on point. They got it down to an art form over at sensi labs...

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407043212.036092.jpg

Still skeptical check out this research post...

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/indoor-soil-cultivation/114640-top-nutrient-study-best-produces-most.html

Skip down to post #7 "Sensi Line"

^The nutes FourTwenty posted are also really good.

15. I was thinking of just going with fox farms trio?

But I'll definitely check these out thanks for the input

16. #16 lFourTwenty, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    [quote name="the420owl" post="20391792" timestamp="1407057298"]I was thinking of just going with fox farms trio?

FF trio will work perfectly and won't break the bank..I think u can get the trio off amazon for like 40 bucks. From my experience, advanced nutrients is the most expensive line there is. If you want their whole line of nutrients you better start with some deep pockets.

17. ^ yeah dats true. FF nutes are quality without hurtin the wallet. Go for it bre!😉

18. Plants will have an odor during veg, but it wont be overwhelming or smell like dank buds.

Nah, youre looking at ATLEAST 3 months from seed on feminized.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Most the indica auto strains finish about 8 weeks from seed so it's possible in under 3 months for sure