Indoor growing. Question about bulb wattage

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by msilvers73, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Okay so I have a plant and today I went to lowes to get a 150 watt l.e.d light which was what the recommended wattage is for one plant. However every l.e.d light they had; On the boxes it will say for example, "150 watts replacement 15 watt" So does this mean my light is truley 150 watt? Or 15 watt and it has the lumenams of a 150 watt non l.e.d light? The guy at the counter told me it was 150 watts when I asked him the same thing, but he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

2. Those rating usually mean, they compare to an old bulb that was x watts, while actually using x watts.

It's pretty misleading. Go by the wattage that it says it pulls, not what it "replaces."

• Like Like x 2
  3. That's what I go by is actual pull and with led ,30-50 watt per square foot is perfect there is a app you can download that will show you lux and it does help it's not perfect but definitely does help. I use it all.the time.bc of the different stages of growth

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don't buy your light at homedepot. I've never seen anything worth the price you would be happy with. Order one of these. It's actually 100 watts at the board power. Over 10,000 lumens. Better output then 200 watts of t5 which is more expensive to buy.
    Horticulture Lighting Group 100 Watt Quantum Board LED Lamp

• Like Like x 2
  5. Attached Files:

6. That is a 17 watt light. Order the light I linked you. You won't be sorry. I've been helping people put together grow rooms with those boards for about a year. There's probably hundreds of happy growers as a result. Not a single person isn't super happy about their HLG light. Don't try to use bulbs.

All of my personal grow space uses those leds.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Do you have a suggestion more along the lines of 50-90?

8. 50-90 bucks not watts

9. YOu get back what you put in, If you use cheep lights from hardware stores your plants may grow but you wont get much bud outta it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iv never messed with led lights been looking at getting in to it my self also but iv seen good reviews on these lights and there not to pricey

• Like Like x 2
  11. The eco 49 isn't a bad choice at all.

This is the cheapest version of those samsung lm561c s6 diode based fixtures. It's only 65 watts not 100 like the other one I linked you but I have seen 4oz's from one of these HLG 65's and a single plant. If you supplemented with a few bulbs it would probably work good. The eco49 is higher power but the HLG65 has better diodes and is white light.
    www.amazon.com/Quantum-Board-Grow-Bloom-4000K/dp/B076QDKVDZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528942291&sr=8-1&keywords=HLG65

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. If you look at that amazon link. It has 18 5 star reviews. I don't think I've seen that many products that have all 5 star reviews. That gives you a hint of how good those boards are. Usually there's at least one hater with some ridiculous complaint that gives it 4 out of 5 stars. Not on the HLG65. 5 stars across the board.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for all your help. My last question is you guys are saying don't go buy what it replaces, go by what it pulls. But how am I supposed to know how many watts it pulls if the box only gives the info I showed you

14. Oh also guys, what would be best.. Leaving my plant in this little grow thing i got going on 24/7 with a light timer set to 18 hours; or set to 24? Or would it be best to leave it in this grow thing at night, but during the day put it outside?

15. The box on the bulb you showed says 1500 lumens 150 watt equivalent 17 actual watts.

The 150 watt rating is based on what the bulb replaces in standard incandescent bulbs which are absurdly inefficient and have no place in an indoor grow room. We attempt to replace the sun and only use the highest efficiency lights on the market to try to replicate it.

There's good rule of thumb figures for designing indoor lighting for grow rooms. They vary depending on what lighting you're using. HPS lights like about 50-65 watts per square foot in flower for best growth. Lower quality led are in the 40 watt per square foot range and the best leds can get away with as low as 28-35 watts per square foot of grow space.

When I say watts I don't mean any kind of rating I mean actual watt draw at the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Highly debated question. Cannabis is in a special group of plants that don't need a dark period in veg to continue to grow. Many people use a 24hr grow cycle in veg. Growth is directly tied to how much light the plant gets they don't grow at night they need light to complete the photosynthesis reactions to complete the growth process.

That said I have experimented with the 24 hour veg cycle and have found that my plants are easier to keep healthy and seem to be happier if they get a small break. I do a 19/5 veg cycle to be different but I would recommend a 20/4 cycle after about the first 2-3 weeks. For the first weeks of life 24 works great and I would do it to get a jump start on veg if I did start to finish in one room.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Okay so it's what I suspected. Fuck they didn't even have anything more powerful then that! The light I have IS atleast L.E.D right? And anyway you could answer my question about the timer/putting outside? So sorry for all the questions, and all of you have been a great help. I'm just trying to get all the information and do it right.

18. Just order the HLG 65 or the HLG 100 if you can scrape up $150 for it. Depending on weed prices in your area. The HLG 100 is capable of growing probably 5-6oz's at harvest with an experience skilled grower. In my town that's worth about $1800 bucks. Suddenly spending $150 on a good light doesn't sound like a bad idea at all seeing as it can last 4-5 years without replacement and grow 3 crops a year at least start to finish and more if you use a separate veg area.

Plants veg good with low power cheap lights. The problem comes in flower. They need high quality intense lighting that is capable of at least partially replicating the sun to make high quality buds. Bulbs will only grow you low quality buds. They do veg okay so you could run a separate veg area at the same time and just finish your plants under the higher intensity HLG 100.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ok thanks loads man. I honestly have a lot of questions non related to this specific thing. I understand I have taken a lot of your time, and I do appreciate all your help. I gave you all likes, if there is some other way to give you good feed back, (im new to the site) please let me know. But if you are bored, and have experience growing, I'd love to get some more information. 423-330-3648 my name is michael. I completley understand if its not something you're comfortable talking about, but obviously we won't be talking about smoke, it will suddenly become tomatoes we are speaking of if you don't mind to answer some questions lmao.

20. Listen to TBone he knows what he is talking about. He helped me pick an amazing light for my setup and I couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2