Indoor Grow Garden plans for closet, what lighting to use?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by weedie1888, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Been planing on setting up a small grow room in my closet measuring, 7.5 ft x 1.8 ft x 2.5 ft.

Was thinking of using 400wt HPS lighting for it but not really sure if this is too strong to be using in such a small space? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated..

Also how many healthy plants could i get in that space, and what size pots would I need to get to for them?

Dont think there's any need to buy mylar as the inside of the closet is already a smooth white finish.

Was looking into that Block-IR stuff though to prevent the police from seeing the thermal footprint from the heat of the closet, has anyone ever used this before and if so, does it work?

Any help greatly appreciated im in the process of trying to order all the equiptment needed and work out costs, but would prefer advice from people who have tried and tested the same method, before i purchase.

2. if your worried about heat you can always run a bunch of big CFL's to cut down on it. Here are some prices and sizes. CFL Bulb | 200W - Light Bulb Surplus

A 400w HPS would generate a lot of heat in that space and you would def. need to ventilate the whole closet very well to ensure your plants don't wilt due to the increased ambient temperature. If you choose to go this route buy a good inline fan for outflow. As for pot size start out with something small and move up to a larger ones. Id suggest a max of 3-5 gallon pots for that space with significant clipping of the fan leaves later in the grow to ensure proper ventilation and airflow to all the buds... dont want to get that bud rot after all your hard work.
    Theoretically the bigger the pot the more space you get for root development and hence more bud production. Youll probably want to stick with a sativa dominant straight that has more vertical then horizontal bushy growth to ensure that they all get good lighting and air circulation.
    As for the thermal footprint, where is this closet.... the higher up in your house the worse off you are. Typically basements and lower floors are better. If its next to something that generates a lot of heat itself i.e. stove, boiler, etc. it should offset suspicions. It doesnt hurt to get extra protection though. However in such a small space i doubt youd have johnny law knocking at your door... your whole house isnt a gigantic grow op and thats what they typically look for. You know those houses you see on tv that glow like a x-mas tree on IR.

3. Thanks for the reply Bolthero..

I had planned on growing a cheese strain, being indica based you obviously wouldn't recommend it then no? Apologies if some of the questions seem obvious I am a raw beginner to growing and only know from what I have researched on the net, been smoking the herb for about 12 years but never planned to grow until now, damn recession.

I had heard that the CLF's are not much use in the flowering stage and that's why I was planning on going with the 400 HPS.. I was also looking at the new LED lights that can be used for all stages, there seems to be rave reviews about the new one's that are on the market now, and a big plus is they are self cooling.. which i'm presuming I would not need to ventilate the closet as a result as they don't really produce heat anyway, just the lights the plant needs?

this is the link for the LED's i'm talking about:
    PRAKASA® 180w Seven Band Led Grow Lights panel using 3w LED lights LED Grow Lights UK

..or would it make more sense to just go with a smaller HPS wattage like 250wt?

The closet is upstairs in a bedroom, which is why i'm worried about the thermal print, I think the LED's that I mentioned above would wipe out that concern because they are self cooling and don't leave any thermal print as far as I know?

I'd probably really prefer to go with the LED option giving the concerns about thermal imaging but not sure if it's viable in the little space I have?

4. Here is a picture of the grow space I have available. Dimensions are 2.5ft width x 1.8ft deep x 7.5ft height (picture makes it look smaller than it is). Has anyone any suggestions as to what would be the best system to go with here?

Noise as smell must be taken into account as it needs to be as stealthly as possible.

Also, what number of plants would be advisable to grow in that space considering how wide they might grow, height is not an issue, just width and depth.

Can anyone tell me do the extractor fans produce much noise also?

Attached Files: