Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Thank you, saw this member but wasn’t sure if it was the right one

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

I did a very simple soil mix for this, my second grow, and I’m on week 8, No nutes, pH tap water only and I can’t believe the vigor and stoutness of these plants. I have another tent with peppers and tomatoes. I amended their shit soil and switched to water only, on the fly. Get off the bottles bro, you will be so glad you did, and it’s easy. It’s all easy if you know how. Get over to the organic section and start studying.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LOL
    My first med grow I started with DWC. One run was enough to convince me to change to organic soil growing. All that PPM's, PH'ing, changing out the rez, sweating every minute knowing even just a power failure causing me to lose my pumps and my plants are dead. Too much work and stress for me! I like my style of gardening - Laziness! LOL Spend an hour or less mixing up a batch of soil. plant a seed. water until harvest. maybe an occasional top dress or foliar but most of the time I think it's more ME having the need to love the plant rather than the plant really needing that extra top dress or foliar spray :)
    not to mention not spending on those expensive bottles...... :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hi all,
    Ive been meaning to come on, and start a thread abut how good your own soil mix can be, and to drop the shop bought additives... obviously no need to start a thread!
    I was absolutely stunned how well my first grow went with my own soil, water only. The savings are huge.
    Make your soil, let it cook for a few weeks, and away you go. I have another mix cooking before I need it, and also dont be scared of reusing your soil - something I never did, again adding to the costs!
    Ive been doing this for only a few months, so I am still watching the grows to try and refine the base mix, to one that suits me/my area/whats locally available etc, but overall it really is a no brainer once you dip your toes in...
    Try it, you wont regret it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hi Jerry, I'm new to the forum and I just found your thread.
    First congratulations for all your disseminated information and patience with us newbies.
    I recently migrated to organic soils and would like to know your opinion about my soil... If I should add something, or remove something. I would be extremely happy if you could help me.

Come on:

About 80% of my soil is sphagnum peat + perlite + earthworm humus.

The other ingredients that make up the rest:

dolomitic calcium
    chicken manure
    bean pie beaver
    bone meal
    seaweed flour
    oyster meal
    biochar
    bokashi
    diatomaceous earth
    coconut fiber

That's it.

Greetings from Brazil

• Like Like x 3
  6. Welcome to GC!
    I don't know what bean pie beaver is but I'm exited ! Can we get a pic?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. As for the worms, can I just throw them in my organic soil?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I really needed to read this. I’m a first time grower with one flowering and 2 in veg.

I don’t regret learning the chem bottle route because it showed me a lot and helped me learn. So it was paid training basically.

now that I’m seeing how it all works, living soil is a no brainer. But I realize it’s not as instant as bottles.

regardless this post was a good nudge I needed to go right into only using my living soil from here on out.

the one gallon pot you place in the center, is it a fabric pot that dissolves or do you remove the actual 1 gallon “pot”

thank you for the great post

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey congrats on your flowering and vegging plants!
    You would transfer the plant from the 1 gallon pot; remove it from the 1 gallon pot.

I start from 3" nursery pots and the method is the same, use the pot as a template for your hole size and depth, remove the plant from the nursery pot and drop it in the hole you made.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I believe what Jerry is saying is he pulls his 1 gallon size plant from it's container and plants it right where he chopped the finished plant. It's the way I understood it and have been doing it for several years now. You want to limit disturbing your old root mass other than where you place your new plant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I had an issue and had to put my plants outside only thing Is I had them in flower but now they are revegging can anyone tell me what is going to happen, will they produce buds again when the time comes and what is going to happen to the little buds that have formed already

12. If they’ve been indoor this whole time they might not have the toughness to be outside. I’m so new at this so maybe others have better advice but this may be a bad blow to a newly flowering indoor plant.
    Best of luck.

Any chance to get them back indoors?

13. No cinches to get them back in but tbh the plants are looking awesome dude plants are a lot stronger than one may think, if you go on my profile and look at my grow journal you can see the pics I posted of them outside

• Like Like x 1
  14. I agree with you 100%. Plants are classified as autotrophs - they feed themselves, so then why are we their waiters? I switched from GH Flora series nutes in a 50/50 blend of Peat and Vermiculite to Coast of Maine's Stonington Platinum Grower's Mix and their dry ammendments. I'm free from all that work and my plants are amazing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nice move! I doubt you’ll ever look back at the Monsanto backed bottled days!:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kurttzz: not sure what you're spending on your growing medium and those ammendments, but for $43 you can buy 1 bag of a grower's mix that was designed specifically for cannabis: Coast of Maine's Stinington Platinum Grower's Mix. The base of this soil is lobster compost that's rich in chitin, the building blocks of plant cells.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. Haven’t been around in a few - best of luck to you in your garden!

what is the “bean pie beaver”?

j

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hiya j! I was just thinking bout ya, it got to -18.2 last nite, -35 wind chill, I see Maine's colder , are ya keeping toasty! KIMG7616.JPG

• Like Like x 1