Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. #3741 jerry111165, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    It isn’t about the type of element lol - it’s about the method of transmission to the plant via bacteria and fungus vs the use of chemical fertilizers - it’s about the relationship between nature’s microbes and the host plants.

You’ll never see dirt in any commercial grow”

So many of the large grow operations in, let’s say northern CA aren’t grown in soil?

I beg to differ.

Edit: take a look at some of the large soil (commercial) gardens shown here and then come back and tell me again how we’ll never see soil in a commercial grow operation. Your comments are just ludicrous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hightimes.com/grow/the-greatest-marijuana-gardens-of-all-time/amp/

I’m guessing that large (commercial) cannabis (soil) farms like this just aren’t for personal use lol

D05E33EB-145D-44E2-B71E-4D1531543455.png

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. #3742 jerry111165, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    I wanted to show you just how wrong you are. Take a look at this very large ORGANIC commercial cannabis operation located in Oregon at Hifi Farms -

See How Hifi Farms Grows Cannabis in Living Organic Soil | AgZaar

These folks base their success on building their own sustainable organic soil from all natural ingredients - soil that is used over and over and over again.

6D319C06-FA72-45BB-A957-D47458DCEE2E.jpeg

My own mentor and friend, and longtime Grasscity organic guru, “Lumperdawgz”, aka “Clackamas Coot” visiting Hifi Farms -

AD154DA0-5C69-40F7-BD4B-9A6ABFFC1691.png

A pretty damn cool pic of organically grown cannabis at HiFi Farms -

C36A9135-CC25-4B84-8117-277F27266642.jpeg

Times are changing, and have been for a number of years now. More and more folks are discovering the quality and success that can be had - in commercial cannabis gardens, whether it be outdoors,indoors or greenhouse grown.

J

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ugh - I was just watching some tv during supper and a commercial for Lowe’s (the big box do-it-yourself store) and which focused on lawn care for the upcoming spring.

There was actually a guy on the commercial telling me that Lowe’s had everything I needed by Scott’s, Miracle Gro and RoundUp...

Gag!!! The worst part is that there are so many that believe the hype and use these awful products.

Awful.

J

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. What are you up on here raising hell about now?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holy shit - look what the cat dragged in... lol

Hi man. It’s certainly been awhile!

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Umm a large part of the western US MJ is grown in peat and amended dirt. Watch some of this guys videos.

7. Ah you know I had to come say whats up to the Jman! Still setting the City straight on gardening without BN I see. Thats great thing jerry cause now people are soooooo okay with smoking junk its crazy. I'm back in this thang so i'll be stopping in on yaof course. The Porch is open again, and Bosch is on a leash :D, so feel free to stop by anytime. I still consider myself one of your FAVORITE students :rave-girl:so drop some school work if ya could. I'm currently learning myself about FPE, and FFE now so I could use all the badgering :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
  8. #3748 DaXander, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    So i just made my way through the 188 pages of this grow Bibble and i just wanted to thank all who have contributed! Jerry thanks for all the work you have put in to this, it is exactly the one stop info shop that i was looking for in my venture from bottled nutes to big natural roots!

I still have a few questions, probably because i started here and haven't made my way through the ACT, microbeorganics, or Botanicals threads yet, so here goes: you posted list of different teas towards the beginning of page 88, but have also mentioned that a well built soil doesn't really need teas, so what teas do you still use, and when? I like most of the ingredients you have mentioned, but i don't like mixing many different teas, could i use most of them together for foliar? Say a handful each of neem/karanja, kelp, alfalfa, comfrey, horsetail, dandelion, 2 oz. of fulvic; all in 5 gallons of water?

I noticed a few people like adding BioAg VAM when transplanting, would it not also be beneficial to add a rooting/cloning agent like honey with a little: aloe, kelp, and a fulvic acid?

Guess i might as well run my soil mix past y'all while i'm at it: trash cans are all 32 gallon
    2 trash cans of my old coco/perlite/roots/leaves (soaked in a little cal-mag and cannazym)
    2 trash cans of new peat moss/perlite
    1 trash can local compost & a cf. bag of coast of main complete plant mix (i'm a little worried about the local compost, they only rotate it for 8-10 months before baging and selling it, i have noticed you shoot for about 3 years)
    1 trash can EWC

My soil amendments that i plan on mixing at a 1:1 ratio then using 2-3 cups per cf. (192 gallons divided by 7.25 = 26.5 cf. of soil, so 75 cups are needed) are:
    Tomato tone
    coast of main lobster and kelp granules
    kelp meal (for the extra kelp that people seem to like and an easier foliar form)
    Fish Bone Meal
    Crab meal
    Alfalfa meal
    comfrey meal (going to go hunting for this)
    ground dried horsetail, a little ground dried dandelion
    bloom/P bat guano
    chicken poo pellets
    Neem/Karanja
    (is there anything else i should put in here like seed meals, or any tweaks to the ratios?)

Rock dusts - 26.5 cf. = 119.5 cups, at 4.5 cups per cf.

basalt - 50 lbs
    azomite - will fill in when basalt runs out

Limes: 26.5 cf. = 13.25 cups, at 1/2 cup of mixed limes per cf.
    Oyster shell
    espoma garden lime

One last question, the reason I'm switching to organic soil is for the ease, in order for me to grow the full amount i'm legally able i have to grow at a buddies over an hour out of town, so the plan is to set up some sort of gravity fed watering system so that i can spend about a week at a time away from the garden. Personally i was thinking a gravity fed drip system, or even buy a timed pump, but I have seen a few people here talk about SIP systems for smaller pots, however i want to go with 15ish gallon pots, so does anybody have any recommendations for a large pot auto watering system?

9. @DaXander - look into the Tropf Blumat watering system - many of the folks in the Organics subforum use this system and it works very well for them - being able to go a week or two at a time without stepping foot in the Grow area.

J

10. I'm convinced!!! I was going to get some bottles tomorrow but now I'm just going to go get the things that you mentioned and go from there...

• Like Like x 1
  11. hi jerry, i came upon ur thread wondering if i could make this cheaper. thought id sell overage to make up, but the market in michigan is flooded. anyway, have you posted an actual complete formula, info on each component, like whats key ing. and use, possibly a list of options for each nutrient? if you have links that would be great. also do you notice a difference in needs per strain. like sativa vs. ind. or landrace?7

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have those same questions

13. we will give him a bit to answer. do you know where he is from?

14. Nope, I have no idea...but there is a lot of information about this in this forum,we just have to look around...

15. He's from Maine...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm only growing one or two plants in my tent, how much do I need for that?Would it make sense to buy all of that stuff for just two or three plants?

17. if i were to answer, id say it depends on what your plans are (long term), and finances, aswell as how much you want to try it. my case, im growing much more than that, but have some hydrostone, some coco, some soil (2 diff kinds), and couple diff. nute lines. but its all experiments/testing which i need to do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I feel you... I'm in this for the long haul... When I find a better place with more privacy then I'll go bigger... for now I'm working in a 2 x 2 x 3 tent so I'm working in a smaller space...but whatever I need to do,I'm gonna do...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hiya Frank and @Yoda2419 - sorry I’m working my life away lol

No difference in plant needs from an indica or sativa from my experience in a well constructed organic soil

There are a thousand “soil recipes” out there but there are only a small handful of “must” items -

Our organic soil works because we rely on soil microbes to break down organic matter into usable plant food. These microbes originate in good, viable (active) compost and vermicompost (worm castings/worm manure/bedding) - so it is Uber important to source the very best compost and castings and base your soil on this. I don’t mean the most expensive - I mean the most active material. It MUST be quality. Poor quality will work - great quality will work, well, GREAT.

Your soil must drain well.

Your soil will need an assortment of organic soil amendments - kelp, chicken manure (composted), Neem cake are excellent. There are many to choose from.

I highly suggest you guys start doing some reading in here - and we can talk more later if you like.

Here - No-Till Gardening: Revisited

That oughtta keep you busy lol

J

• Like Like x 2
  20. HaHa! great Jerry, thank you. you just gave a ton of info as well as validated (by another opinion) some things ive been looking at. im still reading and sorting through the thread but getting an idea of where to look in a large thread helps much. and you are right this will def. keep me busy during study time. i might even cut out some cloning/training days over the next week to educate...

ty again and talk soon

• Like Like x 1