indoor garden lighting question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by mosesnumb, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I have a 600w cooltube setup in my fruits n veggies tent, it is switchable for mh/hps and dimmable. Are growing my fruits n veggies like growing mj basically, can i use hps all the time or should i be using mh and flipping and cutting light times down?

2. #2 evilgnome, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    Hate to say "For Sure" since I've never grown fruits or veggies indoors
    But I have housed tropical plants / Nepenthes indoors over the winter & have started veggie seeds indoor under lower watts of florescent lights without any problems
    So "I" would say {guessing} that 600w should be enough light
    Would run them on a 14 to 16 hours on light cycle

Here's a link to a site with people that should be able to help you out
    The GardenWeb Forums - GardenWeb

Just Curious
    What kinds of fruits are you growing???
    Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone trying to grow fruit trees indoors

Good Luck

3. Not really fruit trees, but i have 6 everbearing strawberry plants, and thinking about doing a watermelon hydroponic style. Maybe some lettuce in a nft setup too... working on my green thumb basically and not having to buy produce anymore.

4. Moses it sounds like you and I are in a very similar situation. Check out my 1000w veggies post. I have decided 14 hours of light a day until I hear differently...
    What type of hydro are you thinking for the watermelon?

5. I got a nft setup out of some 4" square plastic post covering material with 3 diff kinds of lettuce in it, which drains into a 10 gal tote full of perlite with my melon plant in it, the nft setups res sits beneath the melon plant so as the melon gets drip fed it cycles back to the res.

Edit: my light schedule is 16/8 because it fits my schedule best. Already got some strawberries turning red!

6. Do you have any pics? I'm interested....

7. [quote name='"Mattbo4"']Do you have any pics? I'm interested....[/quote]

I can take some as soon as i get some free time. Lifes been hectic lately, but the garden looks good. Got strawberries turning red already.

8. Different fruits and veggies likes different water- and lighting conditions. Try googling or check the packages the seeds came in.

9. [quote name='"mosesnumb"']

I can take some as soon as i get some free time. Lifes been hectic lately, but the garden looks good. Got strawberries turning red already.[/quote]

Yea I have a couple red strawberries too!!! I'm excited for some pics. Snap a few!! :D

10. Can do when i get off work. Got some friggin spider mites... not happy...

11. [quote name='"mosesnumb"']Can do when i get off work. Got some friggin spider mites... not happy...[/quote]

Lady bugs

12. Lol, my 3 plants I've been vegging for outdoors still in there...

ForumRunner_20120505_134945.png

My indoor garden as it currently sits, my nft cabbage/lettuce setup is out right now, as I'm moving in a while, and didn't wanna have to move that...

13. NIce work done there. Very much hard work done there and it is giving output on the screen too.keep such a good work going on it will help the beginners like me.

14. Yes of course you can use it. But you have to close just few hours and also shutdown when you are watring because it possible to short circuit and harm your crop.