Indoor CFL Grow; Rubbermaid, updates daily

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by cowofsteel, May 18, 2004.

1. Hey everyone.

I started my first grow ever a few weeks ago, and I started a thread at OG...

I don't want to redo the whole thread, so I'll sum up the first 3 weeks in this thread and some pictures in the next.

April 24
    Germinated the seeds. In total 24 seeds, all nugget bag seed. Wetted two napkins with R/O water and place seeds in the middle, then place napkins in CD case and placed on top of computer monitor to keep warm.

April 26
    3/24 showing taproots. Will sterilize Jiffy Mix tonight and plant seedlings in 3.5” plastic pots. In June I will transplant all but two plants outside. I will then transplant those two into 3-gallon pots and start a SCROG set-up. I plan on using 4 2ft. fluorescent lights, and 3 22W CFL's.

April 27
    Planted 6 in total in Jiffy Mix with a little extra Perlite thrown in for good measure. They are all in a 14-gallon Rubbermaid for now. The 3 22 bulbs are now less then an inch above the plants thanks in part to the computer case fan I hooked up. The air exchange is at least four times a minute, so I'm thinking of not getting the 2ft fluorescents and instead getting a 30-watt cfl and then transplanting them into a 48x15x54 stealth cabinet for flowering. The fan is an Enermax Case Fan with adjustable speed. I have it set to full, moving around 35 CFM's.

April 28-May 2
    Plants have been growing steadily. Tallest is about three and half inches, shortest about half an inch. I am watering them with R/O water as planed, but might start to add a little h2o2 for more oxygen to the roots. Also plan on buying a Mylar Emergency Blanket from anywhere but Wal-Mart sometime in the next few days.

May 11
    Plants all look wonderful, this is going much better then expected. I still don't have any Mylar, but I still plan on getting some. I just started a thread at OG, so I don't think I'll be updating this too much anymore.
    -------------------------

I have changed a lot actually from that plan, I now am using 4 CFL's, 3 are 22 Watts, and one is 42. I'm using a 30 Gallon rubbermaid for veg growth and I plan on moving all but 2 outside by June 1.

2. nice grow so far... hope for all to be female...

as far as your leaves go.. im no expert... but it looks like heat stress to me... any expert growers out there know what it is?

3. looks like fert burn, did you water with ferts and possibly get some on the leaves with the light on? the water evaporates quickly increaing the concentration of ferts and this acts as a foliar feed but overdoses it.

you should think about painting the inside white.

4. That can't be rootbound. The plants are too small and pots too big (to be rootbound). If the plants were more like 12 to 14 inches tall in that size pot, then yeah it could be rootbound.

I concur with gr0wer. It does look like fert burn. Heat stress looks a little different right? Doesn't work its way in towards the stem from the tip. It just kinda appears on different areas. Usually at a certain distance from the light and up. But with CFLs, that shouldn't be the problem. Unless the bulbs were actually touching the leaves. That happened to me once. No big damage, just part of a leaf. Anyway, yeah, I'd ease up on the ferts.

5. April 24
    Germinated the seeds. In total 24 seeds, all nugget bag seed. Wetted two napkins with R/O water and place seeds in the middle, then place napkins in CD case and placed on top of computer monitor to keep warm.

man that is my birthday name one of the plants steve