Indian Classical Music is the best to kick it with

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by tintala, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Indian classical music , like Ravi Shankar, Zakir Hussein, or just plain tabla solo, will blow you mind if you havn't already heard it... The solos in tabla are equisite and sophisticated.. it take year and years to learn how to play, you must start early to be a master. I have studied it for 15 years , lived in nepal and studied.. you should check some out on youtube.com and type in indian classical music..

2. check out pandit habib khan.
    he's my sitar teacher of 1 year. some call him a jerk, and at some times he is but his stuff is amazing.

3. Check out 'Madlib - Beat Konducta: Live in India Vol. 3-4'

I think you'd enjoy it.

4. I think that that album is probably the worst of his stuff....it just gets really boring, and he ends every song pretty much the same. Neat concept though, it would sound ill with some MCs on it. Not quite instrumental material.

I really enjoy classical Indian music; all of the players have an incredible sense of rhythm from playing in very complex meters. Also, trying to figure out Indian raga scales isn't easy because of the quarter-tones found in their music. You could spend a lifetime dedicated to playing Indian music.

Being amazed by innovation and being a jazz musician, I'm also interested in the fusion of Indian music with other genres.

Check out the band Shakti; it features Zakir Hussain and John McLaughlin, among other great musicians.

This is a sick video of some live Indian Fusion:

"Legendary Bill Laswell plays with Zakir Hussein (tablas), Ustad Sultan Khan (vocal, sarangui), DJ Disk, Karsh Kale (drums), Nils Petter Molvaer (trumpet)"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7ium-W2DS0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7ium-W2DS0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

5. Zakir is insane. I saw him once in a trio with Charles Lloyd and Eric Harland and it was sick.

6. Another prominent Indian classical musician is Vishwa Mohan Bhatt.
    Plays his own style of music with an instrument he fabricated, the Mohan Veena, which is a sort of lap-slide guitar.
    Pretty amazing stuff.
    Highly recommended.

7. I've really only listened to Ravi Shankar, but he's dip.

8. Prem Joshua is a german guy that produces trance / yoga genre, he plays all kinds of instruments but his main one is the SITAR. The fusion is ecstatic! It's very well done music in my opinion.He has like 10 cds! Blow one and throw this on and you be loving the indian grooves mixed with electronica, etc...