Incubus

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by JmaG, Jul 11, 2007.

1. has convinced me there songs have some of the greatest lyrics ever.

read into the lyrics, the meaning you take from it makes you feel amazing. the things they talka bout, but the way they use the lyrics are nuts. Pardon Me 4tw.

2. I haven't looked closely at their lyrics, but musically I find them to be pretty interesting. The albums "Make Yourself" and "Science" are awesome. Definitely one of my favorite modern Rock bands.

3. yea one of my favorites. but i dont like their new shit, some of i do. i like all of their old shit.

4. They have a new one called Love Hurts, pretty good to listen to stoned

5. yea i like the anna molly song...

6. Fungus Amongus is a sweet album. I like their old stuff a lot.

7. one of the greatest bands ever, got me into music

if you actually listen to their music you will understand, they always leave the meaning of their songs up in the air so you can apply our own meanings to many of them

8. since ive listend to them, incubus has evolved more than any band ive heard. picture this: now heart throb brandon boyd used to rock dreads. so did their guitarist mike. but thier music changed so much over the years its nuts. fungus amoungus was written with a different DJ (DJ Lyfe, i think). they smoked sooo much indica back in those days (they probably still do but they might be into coke a lot too [hence "Smile Lines" on the One crow left of the murder album)

read the lyrics to "Trouble in 421" off Fungus and youll know they were all about the herb.

personally, i cant stand thier most recent album. and older incubus fans agree. i have a theory on why that is. i think they wanna get off their present label so they can write the shit they really want to. they might have purposely made a shitty album so thier label would drop em.

ask any chick what their favorite incubus song is and theyll say "Drive", "Wish you were here", "dig" etc, basically anything after science. most people havnt evern heard of thier first cds. its sad.

all in all, ive seen them twice and love em to death. they are my favorite group right next to TOOL and Deftones.

9. I used to hate Incubus cauz of their new stuff(like megalomaniac, talk shows on mute, ect) . Then 4/20 last year we were chillin with a mega blunt, and my friend put S.C.I.E.N.C.E. in. My entire view of them changed in the time it took to play the album. No longer were they an Abercrombie store soundtrack, but talented artists who could seemesly flow jazz, rock and whatever the fuck else they wanted to intermingle into their work and still have it sound great.

10. I agree with you two above me about their older shit is a lot better, but their new music is still very good and sounds very good live. but most of their new stuff is kind of pop type with the love hurts but sometimes its a good hurt or oil and water, and diamonds and coal but even their new cd has great music like anna molly, rougus, pendulous threads, light grenades, quicksand leading into a kiss to send us off and earth to bella pt. I and II

one reason their music has changed is due to the fact their no longer in their teens and early twenties, brandon and mike are both in their early thirties now so Incubus's music is not going to be as funky as it once was. They have matured as people and as musicians since they began writing.

11. maturity has nothing to do with incubus. if you were to ask them if they've matured in any respect, id imagine they'd begin to laugh. to say they've matured means that they realized that Fungus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. were no longer acceptable sounds. i dont think they'd agree with that. it really sounds like im speeking for them, forgive me if you think so, all im saying is that maturity, although a reasonable explanation, is not the right term. bands are going to advance/progress in any matter that suits them. the music has changed, not the band (with the exception of thier newest bassist Ben Kenny).

hmm. that could be it. maybe thier new band mate set a new tone for thier albums.

P.S. for all who didnt know, look up the term "incubus" on the web. why they named themselves that, i dont know (must've been the indica)

12. im going to go see them aug 4th in b-more, md. at the virgin mobile festival. Cheap Trick, The Police, Modest Mouse, The Beastie Boys and many more.

13. yeah im seeing them again aug 28th in atlanta

14. See the thing with Incubus is ( I have been a fan for many years now) they are so ahead of teh game people have always beens aying "i dont like their new shit"
    Everyone is listening to their old stuff... in five years people will be like "damn we want ourband to sound like incubus "light grenades" album", I know tons of bands still try to sound like their older stuff especially morning view.
    Hearing people talk about incubus is like seeing someoen with your ex, they were all mine and now everyone and their grandmother knows about them : ) Im happy for them and their success, they went thru a lot of hard work to get where they are today.

15. I'm hopin to see them Aug 10th when they come to NJ, i've been a fan for many years as well and i can appreciate all of their music and how they've evolved, but i must say i like the old stuff better, or at least, it gets more plays from my collection. damn do I love fungus and science. but shit, i fucking love make yourself.

and to the theory phiegnux mentioned about trying to get dropped by epic - that seems like an explanation all of us old fans would love to believe. but it's highly unreasonable. if you've read interviews and their view on the albums, they hold very high standards for Light Grenades and truly believe that it's some of the best music and most articulate writing that they've ever done or been capable of doing. but hey, we can't be sure, wouldn't we all love for that to be true? more songs about drugs and rebellion? hah.

as for drugs, i've seen pictures of them smoking weed, and there's songs as apparent as "smoking the herb again" on When Incubus Attacks, Vol. 1

there's also speculation (i'm saying speculation because i've read around, not heard actual evidence) that they fuck with meth, and i'm sure they do other shit. here's an interesting quote from one interview:

"Running throughout all our records, there is a theme of sorts that is indicative and reflective of our collective consciousness, but we’ve haven’t moved into that concept thing yet. We haven’t done enough drugs yet – give us time."

Haha. You can check out the article for yourselves. I had to google incubus interview "enough drugs yet" and look through some forum posts to find it. i remember reading it when i was speculating about Light Grenades. cool stuff, i love interviews, the truth really comes out. this article is awesome, they really go into detail about their opinion of their new album and evolution of their sound, which is pretty much exactly what this thread has been going on about. as a matter of fact, i think this interview has provided the most factual information about the band's evolution out of many, many of the interviews i've read in a long time.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/6839/

Incubus Rules!

16. nice find on that article mundi

reading that assures me that when Incubus is done with music they will be known as one of the better bands ever, they seem to want to keep moving on and evolving and changing music for the better

i also didnt know that they recorded music the way they did...thats really cool cause they do sound exactly the same, if not better live than they do on their cd's

17. Fungus Amongus, obviously about mushrooms, and S.C.I.E.N.C.E were their only good albums. After that, they just kinda sold out.

18. whoa whoa whoa. thats a big claim, stating someone/band sold out.

in what way did they sell out? after S.C.I.E.N.C.E. the made Make Yourself, my favorite incubus album, ever. If you notice on each album there is a signiture theme, as far as sound goes (as well as overall album message). Each album after the previous carries with it a piece of that signature sound. Then, as you jump from album to album, the sound becomes less and less like the first from the original (Fungus). Fungus and SCIENCE have many similarities, funk, thrash rock, hard rock etc. There isnt much funk at all, but the thrash and rock remain. After Make Yourself, i guess you could say they went "soft" but that's just how a band progresses. I love every album up till Light Grenades. some people love LG but hate SCIENCE. Some havnt even heard of SCIENCE. As the band progresses, they make different music, and the music changes, so does the fan base. Many are gained, some are lost, (fans, that is). Just because a new group of people like thier new shit doesnt mean they changed for that reason. THAT is selling out, a band changing its sound and image to attract new fans and to make more money.

19. Im an older Incubus fan and I 110% disagree that Light Grenades is a shitty album. Maybe you cant relate to it like the first 2 albums, but the lyrics are really amazing. The entire album from start to finish has a theme and tells a great story. Yes, they have done a 180 with the style from Fungus, but to say its shitty isnt true..its just different. I dig it, and I think true fans wouldnt dismiss their work so harshly passing it off as purposely pooped out to get dropped by a label. There is obviously a lot of work done behind the album.

20. Fire in the attack, proof in the ______, Anomolee, inomoleeeeeee

What song is this?