Increasing Stem Strength through Breeding

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by drbot, Oct 1, 2012.

1. As I have mentioned in other posts, one of my favorite strains is Subcool's Space Bomb. The largest drawback to this strain (other than a fairly small yield) is that its stem structure is thin and branches tend to grow horizontally and very wide. I grow this strain with a large soil mass topped and vegged into a bush. If left un-topped, it gets extremely tall and stays spindly, reducing yield. When topped and vegged into a bush, the plants take up a large amount of horizontal space, and even in scrog the stems do not hold much weight.

I would very much like to increase the stem rigidity and structure of this plant without reducing resin content. I've been thinking of using El Nino from Greenhouse, as this plant tends to form a good strong structure and is very resinous.

Has anybody out there selectively bred for stem rigidity and structure? Do you have any suggestions of strains (males) to use for this purpose? Has anyone worked with either Space Bomb or El Nino in the past?

Thanks for the help!

2. I got ones bagseed goin right now that's been all stem.. Course I been stressing and topping like crazy.. Seems all the local ShIt In Kentucky is all stem, no class..

3. i had the same problem with cinderella 99 from female seeds, had an awesome plant that wouldnt support its weight and resulted in pretty crappy yields for how much space it took up. space queen is a c99 x romulan cross which is used to make space bomb.

i had some luck growing out other seeds which can be costly, or you can create your own feminized seeds to keep trying out other seeds and get different phenotypes.

i also tried crossing the stretchy phenotype i had, i used male with similar lineage for pollen. i wasnt exactly sure about what the genetics were for the male, but it was either a sk1 or haze cross that was in a batch of mixed seeds from sam the skunk man. c99 has both sk1 and haze in it so i gave it a go. my main goal was to get the plant to have stronger branches. so far i have grown about 6 of the seeds, the first couple ended up stretching a lot like the c99 and branching out pretty bad so i killed them off. i got lucky and found 1 that stayed in a single stalk which was perfectly strong enough to support the weight. it has absolutely no side branching even from the light being far away. it smells exactly like the original c99 plant, and looks like it should yield quite a bit more in a sog setup. i didnt get any clones of it before flower since i didnt expect it to end up this way, but ill be trying to reveg after i cut the top bud off.

4. Double layer scrog and am ass ton of yoyos would be my suggestion, lol!

But yeah, I have some kilamanjaro going right now, 1 each of two phenos. One of them I am gonna pull from the room. I just flipped but for some reason this thing is super soft, the other pheno is very solid like you would expect. This soft one is just weird, it doesn't matter what I do the branches are flimsy and bendable. I also had an afgoo do this to me once. Both times I thought it was some deficiency of some sort, but the plants just never stiffen up no matter what I do, and both had started feeling.g very solid. Definitely not ideal if its too soft.

On a side note, I am working with dairy queen and chernobyl right now from subcool and loco.g them both. Double dream and plushberry, eh, not as much.