Increase in height during 12/12 flowering? When to switch?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cupwing2k, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I'm looking for some advise on what to expect in terms of growth during the flowering cycle.

I want to grow these plants as tall as I can, eventually with the light mounted on the 8ft ceiling. The plants +bucket are about 4 feet on the tallest ones.

I've only grown a few times before, and it was with a 400w HPS... Not too impressive, and I found that the plant didnt add much height during the flowering stage.

Now I'm using a 1000w MH, and will switch to a a 1000w HPS for 12/12 flowering.

I figure I could anticipate the plant putting on another 1/3 its current height? What do you all think? These won't double in size will they?

Check out the pics... hopefully you can see distance to the ceiling. Should I start flowering now or can I get another week or two?

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

2. they will double.... sorry...

here's something to try... rock the MH bulb on 12/12 for the first two weeks of flower... then switch to HPS... this should help keep the plants shorter and still force the flower

keep us posted

3. your plants with end up over 8ft i would say about 10ft but im no expert, good luck anyway dude looks good so far but i think u r gunna run out of height space

4. The only advicei can give that will give you all of your yeild and you don't have to cut them or change lights, is super cropping. crush the main stem at a good point so that you can bend it. becarefull though it dose take practice and you should look for videos on it. good luck!! keep us posted.

god it looks like you might get some really heavy buds by the way. awesome grow!!!

5. ayo cuz, them b****** gonna engulf that whole space and touch the ceiling on my momma cuz, i had a b**** get 6 foot when i flowered her when she was damn near jus 2 feet cuz, but check this, we all learn and grow homie, when she get out of hand or maybe right now try tying ur girls down if u can a bit, great job on getn them to that size and they crazy green, i love it

6. My ladies grew five inches in two days after I began flowering, and that's with cfls. Maybe you could flower em on their sides and scrog em?

Not only do you get around the height issue that way, but it would definately increase your yield.

7. Let them go and then supercrop them. You wont be sorry. But top them and switch now. They will get out of hand. GL:wave:

8. bend, tilt, and train em down = more +better quality.

9. I think the strain you are growing will be the best indicator of how big they will get. Sativa's tend to get tall and lanky, Indicas dense and shorter. Even within that it can vary greatly. For example my green cush and purple trash sativas double in size during the first two weeks of flowering. The headbanger, about 50% size increase. Now the sour diesel's are a whole other story. I start flower at 12inches and get 4ft tall by the time they are done. My bubba and kings master kush indicas double in height and in width. I have a superskunk indica that triples in height and triples in width, a full fledged monster!
    If you have to top them do it now cause you won't want to cut off any bud tips and you'll have to bend them and tie down like the other folks suggest.
    Great job too, those look really nice!!! You're gonna need a taller room :)

10. Have you looked into Bushmaster? I've never used it but its suposed to stunt upward growth, I believe.

11. never looked into it, as i am against the stunting of my ladies growth.

ps. why use a nutrient to keep your plant from growing vertically when LST has the same effect while increasing your plants growth?

12. I believe the idea is to stop Vegetative growth so that energy can be utilized to produce fatter buds, but like I said I haven't tried it. Just something to look into.

13. Thanks for all the great replies. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this is looking good. After I got the first few posts I went ahead and switched it to 12/12. I would have rather slowly brought it into flowering over a week but I've realized I'm gonna be cutting it close on the height. Worst comes to worst I can open them into a spare bedroom but I'm keeping them close for temp and humidity control. Might have to tie or bend some plants around. I also topped a few of the more sativa breeds a month ago... thats already my attempt at height control.

I have no clue what exactly I'm growing, just a bunch of seeds from a buddy of mine who always seems to have good bud. I'm excited to see what I'm gonna get.