incandescent light bulbs, get em while you still can.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr. Dedoverde, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Incandescent light bulbs be to shelved by 2012 in US

2. Thomas Edison will be so sad :smoke: As will the others who invented those bulbs.

3. From my experience CFL's burn out quicker because the internal ballast fails or something, i dont know. CFL's also give me headaches, I cant believe they actually made it law, last I heard was 2010 so we have a little while still.

4. This news used to piss me off because I hated the dull headache inducing unnatural white color of CFL's, but I must admit, their color range is getting closer to the good ol' incandescent.

5. They burn out faster if you put them on dimmer lighting circuits if find. I agree with this to an extent. My CFL's use to burn out fast, but the ones I currently have have been going fine for around a year so far. Im not sure if I switched brands or what, but ya my first few batches of cfl's were duds.

6. I remember about a year ago they changed the way they made certain brands, after i decided not to buy anymore. I did notice only certain brands died and the same ones flickered from day one also lol.. oh well. Maybe by the time everyone's stockpile of incandescent run out there will be a different/better type of lighting.

7. They have ones with yellow light now. You just can't buy the daylight ones that are bright white.

8. I'll have to check them out next time I'm at lowes or home depot.. So since this news is out, CFLs should go down in price some? What do u guys think?

9. This is old news (2007 for the OP's article), so if they were to drop in price they would have done so already.

10. Oh ok, they did drop the price already once around a year ago in my area, I didnt read the article honestly lol

11. Im not sure where you live, but i can pick up daylight (6500k) at my local super market.

12. This fucking sucks. ALL of the lights in my house are on dimmers. I have eye problems and those cfls give me a headache. I run dimmers to keep the lights low (and save energy). Now I gotta wear shades in my own house WTF?????:mad:
    Peace out to another simple choice snatched away:mad:
    I wonder if this includes HPS and HID lights too?

13. You can just burn some candles if u dont need bright light, well thats what i usually do... i like watching the flame dance though .. :hello:

I wouldnt consider HID lighting to be inefficient. a 100w incandescent makes something like 600 lumens? a 250w hps makes around 30,000 or so. But hey it would be nice if they doubled the efficiency of HID!