incandescent and clf lighting help!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by toke much, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hi all i have a 10" plant (sativa) 3 weeks old and 5 days into flowering,it has 4 14w compact flourscent's on it and is doing good i just transplanted it into a 3gal pot.

i was wondering if my 150w 2700k incandescent light bulb would help atall? it prouduces alot of heat but if i could keep the temperatures below 30 or any other incandescent bulb i have? just to use as i have spare light fixtures and bulbs ,wondering if they will help?

help/advice plz

thanks.

2. It's a waste of energy. Just get more CFLs, 20w+, you can find them at hardware stores. Six 23w CFLs will give you WAY more bang for your buck (especially on the power bill) than a 150w funk bulb.

3. yeah more cfl's for sure, that will work through flowering i suppose and it you keep upping it through vegetative stage. But I'd highly recommend investing in a HPS light, and if you have the cash go for the one i got. its a 400w HPS w/ MH conversion bulb and ballast. ran me 190$ but it came with a dual plug timer and a reflector. you can get a 150w for cheaper.. try HTG supply they are reliable and have good lasting equipment.

4. ye i kno but i dont wanna go hid (mh/hps).

im gonna stick with clf's but just wanted to kno if incandescent give out lumens but now i kno there a waste of money lol.

thanks

5. According to most sources, not only do incandescents give off terrible lumens anyway but they also give off mostly the wrong frequencys too causing your plant to stretch badly (a stretchy sativa sounds scary big indoors).

6. I've never heard of a 150w incandescent with a spectrum of 2700k...

7. really? well i have a 150w incandecent with a 2700k spectrum but im not gonna use it cuz it makes the lamp that it goes into like boiling.

i done sum research and its 2700k,i live inthe uk and mayb the spectrums r different i dunno lols

thanks

8. Hey quick quesetion while this threads alive. My MH Conversion bulb wont kick on, Just a light blue glow and a arc but no BRIGHT light.. does that mean its burnt out? Luckily HTGSupply has a 1 year warranty from purchase on bulbs so i can get that taken care of.. maybe its something else?

hopefully someone knows about MH Bulbs or bulbs haha

9. Common incandescent lights do indeed put out 2700K light, but they are so inefficient as to be virtually unusable for growing marijuana.

[​IMG]

10. Don't hijack someone else's thread...

11. Which why i facepalm everytime i see someone post their CFL wattage, and then after it the "Equivilent Incandescent wattage" value

12. ye man i kno ur only asking questions but my question is less likly to get answered
    and thanks for all the info people real help

bless.

13. Do you have a picture of the bulb? There's no such thing as an incandescent in 2700k. Let's figure out what you have. Many of the cfl's will say "125w, 250w Incandescent equivalent" on the pkging, are you sure this isn't what you have?

14. I stand corrected. Still though, incandescent has no place in a grow room, far too weak. No penetration.

15. i have just found the like details to it and ur still saying wrong? hmm

16. yup. The light spectrum IS 2700k but it's kind of irrelevant if it doesn't put out the lumens to get that spectrum to the plant.

17. Has nothing to do with heat, it's bout penetration. To penetrate, you need lumens. In other words, it meets many of the criteria, but just not the main one,......strength,...i.e. lumens

18. On a positive note, it's very cheap to replace those with the right ones, the cfl's in 2700. Couple bucks each

Good luck bro.