In your opinion, what is a "Fodder"

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ChevyBLAZER420, Aug 10, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    This is taken from a few threads down.

When I saw this, I immediately said "what the fuck is a fodder?"

fod·der/ˈfädər/
    Noun:\t
    Food, esp. dried hay or feed, for cattle and other livestock.
    Synonyms:\t
    forage - feed - provender

What the fuck?

"Illegal activities are not fodder for discussion"

Aka

"Illegal activities are not FOOD for discussion"

"Illegal activities are not DRIED HAY for discussion"

"Illegal activities" - This guy knows he's on a marijuana forum, right?

So in your opinion GC, when you saw "fodder" in the context it was used, what did you think it was?

2. I believe the term came from the old days of using "fodder" to pack a cannon, which when the word is used today, it generally refers to waste excess that is not necessarily needed or expendable (as when ground military troops are referred to as cannon fodder).

3. Interesting, I did not come across the reference. I like it.

4. So if something was "not fodder" wouldn't that make it okay to talk about than? :smoke:

5. Proly refers to star wars battlefront lol ; bantha fodder if anyone gets the reference

6. It might have been used instead of "available for" or allowed or something.

7. Bantha Fodder. Used to express something foul, as derived from the Star Wars sense.
    Also, "bullshit!"; something that is no good, a load of crap or a sketchy place/situation.
    An expression

I'd say it means exactly what the mod said....this is not shit for discussion

8. The thread in question pretty much discussed all three of the bolded/underlined items.

9. I'm pretty sure I've seen WildWill post on more than one occasion that he has a degree in English from UCLA, based on that I'm going to assume he knows how to talk

also, in that sense fodder was used to mean like fuel. Illegal activities are not fuel for discussion. I play a lot of Yu-gi-oh/ some Magic and the phrase "tribute fodder" shows up a lot, it's basically cards that are in the deck almost solely to be used as tribute or discarded due to activation costs, think of them as "fuel" for better cards, same concept as WildWill's use

10. So thats what fodder means aha

11. Heh....it's not every day you see a thread where you actually get respect for your wordsmith skills. Thanks!

12. Uh oh...this isnt the US Constitution. Each word does not need to be dissected.

13. [quote name='"Snuggles"']Uh oh...this isnt the US Constitution. Each word does not need to be dissected.[/quote]

OP started it

14. This thread is dry hay, 0/10.

15. [quote name='"thewarden"']I'm pretty sure I've seen WildWill post on more than one occasion that he has a degree in English from UCLA, based on that I'm going to assume he knows how to talk

also, in that sense fodder was used to mean like fuel. Illegal activities are not fuel for discussion. I play a lot of Yu-gi-oh/ some Magic and the phrase "tribute fodder" shows up a lot, it's basically cards that are in the deck almost solely to be used as tribute or discarded due to activation costs, think of them as "fuel" for better cards, same concept as WildWill's use[/quote]

what yu gi oh deck do you run?

16. I always think of bullet fodder

17. Well I usually play an older banlist (forgot which one) but I normally run a Lightsworn deck or a Morphtronic/Power Tool Dragon deck. I mostly just build a play gimmicky decks though, which is why I like my Morphtronic one so much