In search of comfrey leaves...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Dr. Who, Aug 21, 2012.

1. *Not sure where to post this*

:smoke:
    Here's my issue...I am interested in finding a local (45431) comfrey. I live
    in an apartment that doesn't really allow growing your own plants outside and unfortunately I don't think I have anymore room indoors that gets enough sunlight. Suggestions please. I'm new to all of this...please be gentle. :D

2. Im not sure where you will be able to get comfrey local to you. You could find a place that sells different types of herbs. I found an organic herbs spot near me that sells comfrey, nettle as well as other stuff along that line. It'll probably be a bit on the expensive side though.

Also, if you decide to grow a plant of your own, dont grow it indoors. The plant needs to be in the ground to be used for what you would want since the roots need to gather up all the goodies that make the plant so effective. I have been to find a few nuseries in my area and have found that comfrey is not really a plant alot of people out here know about. When I inquire about it, the usual response is "what is comfrey?" The few places that I have found that have it, will only have the true comfrey and when I ask about the sterile strains, they dont know what Im talking about. Ive come to the conclusion that unless your local nursery is knowledgable on the subject, I would be better off ordering from the net since I dont want my yard overrun with the plant.

I hope this makes sense for you and there's something there that can help.

3. How cold of climates can comfrey grow in? Say maine. Could it be grown here?

4. You can mail order it from Mountain Rose Herbs for about 10 bucks a pound for the dried leaf material. You can also order it in powdered form from Liberty Naturals for the same price.

IIRC Jerry has ordered it from Mtn. Rose and he can give you amounts to use for making a tea.

Chunk

5. ^^^^^I did the same^^^^ mountain rose seem to be good folks, great customer service.

Boro

6. :smoke:
    Can't thank you all enough!

Pistol

7. i may have missed previous discussions , but isn't comfrey a carcinogen?

8. Northlat, you must have missed some past discussions. To my knowledge it is not a carcinogen. Perhaps there is something else that is similarly spelled.

Here is a basic read on Comfrey Comfrey Makes Garden Fertilizer

Sam

9. :smoke:
    Is anything else on either website beneficial towards our organic soil goal?

10. [quote name='"northlat"']i may have missed previous discussions , but isn't comfrey a carcinogen?[/quote]

I *think* what you may be referring to is "Hepatic veno-occlusive disease associated with comfrey ingestion."

The only "danger" that I know of. And I'm not sure how "proven" it is. In fact, I seem to remember a post by "Stankie" a couple months ago regarding him eating it daily.

Then again, that was a couple months ago, and I haven't seen him post much since then..... Uh oh.

Boro

11. Stinging Nettle, Horsetail Fern, Yarrow, and Dandelion are all good for botanical fertilizers.

Lavender, several of the mints, rosemary, thyme and in fact most of the culinary herbs can be used as insecticides and/or fungicides.

Horse Chestnut and/or Yucca Powder have saponins and are great as surfactants in foliar sprays..

These 2 resources are good for those that reside in apartments or townhouses and don't have a garage or yard to work with.

Chunk

12. damn. i hate when that happens. i goggled comfrey.and got don't drink the tea as carcinogeous. got a lot dandelions here so no problem. just trying to stimulate the general well being of the grow forum.:hello::wave::D

13. Hey Pistol Pete,

The one reference cited very often that discourages much ado about ingesting comfrey I believe is the same one from an '86
    study with rats that were injected with massive amounts of allantoin.

I wish I could locate Dr Duke's response to that mis informationwhich sort of gave me the impression that I would have to drink about 150 cups of comfrey tea to get the same amount of allantoin as a glass of beer.
    It feels to me like that one '86 study from which so many draw a conclusion about comfrey is like Anslinger dissing mmj.

I used to eat it every day for a while or at last drink several cups of tea. I felt it was beneficial for my loose toothe and would have eaten more roots over the years if I were smarter. But I ain't and I didn't have the where withall to counter research the report that frightened so many away from comfrey. Now we probably won't have anyone testing it on humans that will erase the negatoves of the rat study.

Mt Rose's comfrey received last winter was one of
    the most worthy $10/lb I ever spent.
    The use of a cloche might extend the season for comfrey in Maine. Since their roots go deep fast next yr if you pre dig your planting hole ammened and water well, it's roots will go far deep into the ground.
    It will probably do fine then over harsh winters if you mulch it.
    I put plastic covered pergola over my bed just to help it stay warmer and they like that very much.
    Good luck :)

14. I do.

J

15. [quote name='"jerry111165"']

I do.

J[/quote]

Thank you jerry i guess next spring I'll have to try growing some

16. Jpinkham, last fall, a year ago, in November, I put six comfrey plants in the ground. I put 3 out on the edge of the yard and did nothing to the soil, just dug 3 quick holes and dropped them in. The other 3 I arranged out around the mailbox, but before I dropped them in, I dug big, deep holes, several feet deep and filled them with my homemade compost. I planted the roots/plants covered them all in hay and leaves and waited anxiously for spring.

The 3 that I did nothing to did so-so. The 3 that I added mucho compost to the holes simply exploded to the point of laughable - they must have grown 3'-4' across and just as high. Midway through the summer I cut them back to harvest the plant material several times, cutting them almost to the ground, just leaving a few sets of leaves, and each time they grew back just as giant. We dried the bulk of the material for use as a horse supplement, I made several batches of comfrey syrup and bottled it, I made botanical teas, and my most recent soil was layered and layered in leaf material to add Da Kind amendment to the soil. Plants absolutely love this stuff. We must have harvested at least 20-25 five gallon pails of plant material off of the 3 plants that were planted in compost. I maybe got 3 pails out of the other 3.

Dig deep holes and fill them with compost. Yes - they do very excellent here in Maine.

J

17. Thank you once again jerry, i got 5 yards or more of compost/manure mix that i gotta find use for, where exactly would i find Comfrey to start with? I've never really seen it around but I've also never looked

18. I actually found mine being sold by a fella on Craigslist. We both ended up working close to each other and met on our lunch breaks - worked out excellent.

Also, Horizon Herbs and a number of other places sell root cuttings online cheap. Make sure you order the Bocking 14 cultivar, (sterile seeds) or you'll be over run in no time - comfrey can be extremely invasive. Just ask Chunk... ;)

You can also divide the roots easily. A 2" piece of root will grow in no time. Once u have comfrey, there's no reason to order more plants - just dig up a single root and cut it up to make new plants.

Google "buy comfrey Bocking 14 root cuts" and Horizon a herbs and a mess of other places will come up

J

19. Ok awesome I'm gonna look into it now

20. I put fresh harvested leaves and syrup made from fresh leaves in my better/best thing to have in an organic grow room.

My dry comfrey ordered from the internet sits on the 'been there, tried that' shelf. Didn't really see much from ordering dry stuff and making it into teas. Kelp and alfalfa are much better.

I have 12 bocking-14 plants in my yard.