In need of some advice :)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BIazen, Sep 15, 2013.

1. #1 BIazen, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
    Temps are starting to reach around the 40 degree mark at night now here in New England. A friend of mine asked me if his Cannabis plants would be okay. Apparently their just starting to flower, and he is concerned with the cold nights stumping the growth. And I mean literally JUST starting to flower, guessing their Sativa dominant so they will be late bloomers. Any ideas ? I am not sure of his exact strain, but they do seem to be Sativa dominant as I stated above. The temp during the day is any where from in the 60's to 75 or so, night 40 to 50's. Any advice greatly appreciated. He is a legit Medical Marijuana Patient, seems it is his first outdoor grow. He is a very shy person, and usually comes to me for advice cause I'm a big gardener for veggies, I know very little about growing Cannabis but as of lately I have been becoming more interested in it.

I try to always help him when I can. He is a kind soul, but he is not very good people, so that is why I am here seeking advice for him.

Also, I'm pretty sure what he has is "White Widow", like I said, I am not familiar with Cannabis strains, so I can not be to sure. He says they are White Widow.

He also has an indoor plant, which I took look at for him. It is about 3 weeks into the Flowering Stage, it looks absolutely beautiful. The buds are very visible, but they do not have any type of aroma yet, is this normal ? They are for sure little buds, tons of white pistols & hairs all over the flowers, but no smell yet. He grows in front of his huge picture window which gets sun all day, he has it on a 12/12 light cycle. 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. SO ya know, he is my next door neighbor, known him for years. I been trying to get him to come here for himself, but like I said, he has a tendency to come off rude with out knowing it, he just not a "people person" if you get my drift.

2. I'm sorry to say and I hope I'm wrong about this but the outdoor plant might die. Cannabis, especially sativa isn't a plant that can handle those cold of temps. If he can tell him to move it inside!

3. Here in Maine we often have plants that go well into frost and live to flower off. It was below freezing for the last 2 weeks of my outdoor last year and so far this year its been hitting about 35-40 at night already. As long as they warm up and dry out during the day they will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. My outdoor are seeing 50's at night now. They have only had 3 hrs of real sun in the last week because of all the rain we've had here in Colorado but the are still growing fine. Last week we had 10 days in the 90's so outdoor is pretty hardy if they spend there entire life outside. These are local colorado Sativa/hybrids. Bruce Banner, which is Strawberry Diesel x OG Kush, FT Collins Cough.
    [​IMG]

5. If your really scared like me. You should put blankets around the roots if you can or try and wrap the lower stem with insulation of some sort. Gl my friend.

6. Cannabis is a very hardy plant and can withstand a few hard frosts, it's not some sissy petunia. I live in Mich. It's been a few years since I grew outdoors but I wouldn't touch my plants untill mid October and usualy after atleast one hard frost. The cold might slow it down a bit but daytime temps are still good and daytime is when plants do most of their growing anyway.

7. Good advice Bird Show,  What is the most drastic change you have seen in a plant outside. From flowering stage. Example it was 2 feet tall and in 20 days she was 6 feet.... Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all

8. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will be sure to let him know. We live in Maine, Buxton area, and it is already stating to get near freezing at night. Far as I know he has no insurance & what not, not much money either, so it is vital for his grow to succeed. Hope all goes well for him.

Yet again, appreciate the help, I'm sure he does as well.

9. His plants will be fine, I live about 2 hours north east of buxton and I don't harvest till mid October, plants don't mind the frost a bit! And you'll love the purples it creates!

10. Okay, wish I read that before I told him about moving it. He dug it up, ended up cutting into some roots I think. He potted it into a 5 gallon bucket, immediately with in minutes it couldn't hold itself up right any longer. I gave him a hand, best I could, but he does stuff his way, so I wasn't much help. The branch tips on ALL branches are dropping badly, very very badly. It is holding up on the main stalk, but the rest is extremely stressed. It is absolutely a beautiful plant, hate to see it die on him. He had to move it anyway cause he had it planted in his front yard, lol. Not sure why he did that, but....

Wish I could show some pics of it, but he didn't want me posting his yard pics, like I said before, he is just not a people person & has a hard time trusting folks. He is Medical Marijuana Patient legally, he is thinking finding a grower for his meds. 

So anyway, the plant is very droopy now, heads of all branches are sagging, smells very nice though. He potted it into same soil he was using in the ground, organic fox farm I believe. The roots went literally 15 feet from the plant, so he had no choice but to cut into some of the root system. Few people have said to help the plant hold itself up while roots regrab the soil. But I doubt greatly. It is saggy saggy saggy. Soil he put it in was very damp, he let it dry out for a week, but didn't dry out much. Man I feel bad for the guy. He has been my neighbor for 20+  years. Good guy to be honest. Hoping I get him to come here for himself, though I don't mind helping him out communication wise. Any ideas that MIGHT help recover his little lady ? She is absolutely beautiful, HUGE bushy wise, like 5 feet around, about 4ft tall. Poor guy been growing long time, guess he just been lucky up till now. Any help much appreciated.

On a side note, any way to donate to the website here ? After all the help you've guys have given him, I wouldn't mind returning the favor.

11. It actually recovered the transplant. Stopped over his house before work, turned out to be a okay.

12. Good! Glad to hear! Risky move moving a plant that large!

13. Just got home from work, stopped over his house. Took a look at his plant, and WOW !! It recovered 100%, extremely fast, like in 24 hours, it went from almost laying on the ground dying, to standing up right nice tall & bushy again like it was never touched. These plants are absolutely amazing. They regain strength rather quickly. 

Now that it is in his house, poor guys entire house REAKS, lol I could barely breathe in the odor was sooo thick & strong. Glad all turned out well for him.

Both of us truly appreciate the advice, you guys rock !!  Finally got him to come on & get an account here. He realized you can never have to much friendly advice. So thats good, glad he did it. Sure you'll see him around eventually.

Take it easy folks, talk to ya later. And again, thanks for everything.

14. Hey Blazen! What was it that helped them so much?

15. Damn, next time I'm in Lewiston I'll have to let you know so I don't have to go without ;-). My wife lived in Lewiston in her teens. Her sister and her husband still live there. Her mom too.

Temps here are now ranging from 85 During the day to 45 At night. The cold will definitely help the purple. I plan on leaving them outside as long as necessary for the to amber naturally, frost or no frost.

16. I'm about 50 minutes from Lewiston but meeting up would be cool!

17. #17 BIazen, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    Beanhead, need your advice bro. Now that he transplanted his plant, his lower leaves are turning ALL yellow & literally falling off. It does not seem to me like chem burn, but then again I'm not good at this. Their is no yellow burn marks, their just turning completely yellow & then literally falling off with in days. It is mainly the bottom ones. But their working their way up slowly. Yikes.

18. If there is no burn at all it could be a couple things.. 1, needs more nutrients and 2, not enough light going from outside to inside. It was planted in the ground and 5 feet tall so it most definitely had roots 10+ feet in all directions gathering nutrients from worm shit and other things in the soil. I would give her some more nutes then wait a couple days if the problem gets slightly better hit her with half strength batches of nutes every couple of days.

19. I apologize taking so long to reply. Work has been super busy. 

Anyway, stopped over his last night after work for a session, and turns out their were little tiny, looked like burns almost, I am assuming that is nute  burn you're talking about. So I helped him flush the plant with 4 gallons of water. We'll see what happens. Soil said "Organic" but their were TONS of little yellow balls in the soil, so I helped him pick some of them out. Assuming they were nutes of some sort.

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

20. love to hear what happened.