In need of expert help.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by BoomStick79, Jul 16, 2013.

1. My outdoor veggie garden has fallen apart. I planted to early and we had a few spells of frost. Nothing is growing right. Its all way behind.

Long story short. I want to redeem my garden. So I'm hoping some hydroponic growing will help.

Peas. Green Beans. Lettuce. Celery. Green peppers. Tomatoes.
    And my herbs. Basil. Dill. Parsley.
    And the fruits, Strawberry and blueberry.

Now this is all homework at this point. Can I use sunlight in the winter to grow? Windowsill?
    I do have LED grow panel. (Aquarium) its in the 6000k range. Also could use CFL if I need too.

There are countless hydroponic garden ideas out there. Most seem suitable.
    Which is the best for an indoor garden for the noob?

I have aquarium pumps. Air stones. I have 2 tanks I could use.
    One is 8x8inches
    One is 12x12inches.
    They were custom seamless nano reefs.
    Could also use Rubbermaid totes.

Any advice would help. In the meantime. Back to searching. ..

Thanks GC.

2. well for smaller plants you could get rubbermaid containers and cut netholes, for as many as you want, personally im going dwc atm and having some root problems, but we'll see how it turns out :D

other options or flood tables........

3. Hempy buckets are hands down the most simple and effective hydroponic systems.  Super inexpensive and easy to set up. 

You can definitely use winter sunlight in a windowsil to grow plants.   They won't be beast plants, but it will work. We grow some annual flowers from seed in the windowsill.  sometimes I can get two generations of flowers before the next Spring!

Nonfiction,
    If you can't control temps in DWC, you will get root rot, period.

4. Thanks Original and Non!
    Hempy bucket it is. Can use solo cups and pop bottles. Perfect for a spice garden. I think...

But... from what I'm reading. Needs to be watered several times a day.

Drip system on a timer?? How well will it work?

Yo BoomStick,

I've used soda bottles and solo cups for my clones and seedlings then moving them into full size Hempy buckets, or Bato (Dutch) buckets (all based on the same principle) for years!   

You will be surprised at how often you don't have to water them.  You will likely get best results if you feed them at least once a day with fresh nutrients, but you'll be able to skip several days until the plant gets so big it can use up all the water you give them in a day. 

As long as your drain works well in the bucket, you can't overwater them.  You can drip feed them constantly, once a day, several times per day, etc...  Early in veg,  feed once every day or two.  Later on, once they fruit/flower and have grown larger, you'll need to feed them when you notice they are going dry.  

A drip system with a pump on a timer works EXCELLENT with Hempy buckets.   This is the most popular method of growing in the Netherlands, the indoor hydroponic capital of the world.   If the Dutch use a technique en mass, you know it's good.  I would suggest two drippers (at minimum) per plant site, in case one gets clogged up, you have a bit of redundancy.