in need of dietary/supplement info for lifting

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by panflake, Mar 23, 2014.

1. so ive been lifting for around 5 years and only recently started using supplements like aminos,protein, and pre workouts. my buddy has advised me on most of them but i dont really understand what is in each of them and which ones i really need when it comes to working out and gaining muscle. I also am unclear about which foods are necessary after lifting or taking these supplements, like carbs and fats and specific sugars. idk if im wording this correctly but i hope you get what i mean. i know gc is an odd place to post this but ive been on this site for years and always learned 

2. wat exactly are you looking to find out. Ive been lifting seriously for about 3 years since i graduated high school and i played sports all through school. As far as supplements go I can give u a quick run down of what each one does.
    -Protein is a tissue builder and is basically the raw materials for repairing your muscles after a workout.
    -Aminos are the building blocks of protein and can keep your body in an anabolic state if you cant get a meal in you. (oversimplified)
    -Preworkouts are mostly caffeine and beta alanine to give you more energy and focus during your workouts
    -creatine is basically ATP which is a molecule your muscles need to contract. It basically allows you to squeeze out a few more reps cause your more saturated with ATP

3. Keep in mind, there is a good chance all of these supplements will cause serious damage later.

4. you've been lifting for 5 years and you aren't done yet? lol

5. #5 tokinalpaca, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    You don't really need supplements unless you are not getting your macros in your diet. Enough protein is hard to get when trying to build muscle so using protein powder helps with that. I use whey protein gold standard, that is probably the best protein powder out there. Pre workouts are not really necessary unless you don't have the energy to work out in that sense I would use Cellucor C4 Extreme or just get enough rest. Everything else is all in your diet. 

This. Start with your diet and make sure that is as good as it can be before you look at supplements.

When I was lifting I used to have some whey protein to help up the protein intake, I would always have a shake with dextrose (sugar) and whey for my post workout shake. I seemed to have good results with creatine (creatine ethyl ester, not the monohydrate stuff - it's harder for your body to absorb from what I remember so nowhere near as effective) but I think you are supposed to cycle that on and off.

That's all I would have really. Diet I made sure I was eating enough calories (around 4000-4500 I think was what I figured out for me) the right sort - wholegrains and veg and good protein. Not McDonalds and KFC and crisps and chocolate, in the right quantities % of carbs/protein etc, at the right times - every 2 or 3 hours whilst awake.

There is probably a lot you can tweak in your diet that will show great results. The best resources I found for reading up and digesting all the information were forums such as mens health, bodybuilding.com and t-nation.

HTH

sKiTz

7. Monohydrate creatine and whey protein