In 2 days, plant went from looking great to having a problem (with pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DoctaJ, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys, 1st post (and 1st grow)

Have been growing for 2 weeks now and everything has been going great (except for a minor hiccup with strecthing from lack of light). Here are the details I think may be important (will gladly fill in anything else if needed):

*started auto flowering seedling in rockwool and placed this into potted soil after root and plant growth*

Soil: miracle grow
    Water: regular tap water
    Light: 42 watt CFL 1"-2" from plant on 24/0 cycle
    Fans: Yes, on low, pointed at plant 24 hours a day

Problem: Yesterday, I noticed the center of the plant where new growth forms to be slightly brownish/yellow in color and a couple brown spots on the bottom leaves. This morning, there were more brown spots on the bottom leaves and the top leaves had a yellowish green color along with the discolored new growth. Anyone have any ideas? :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Forgot to add that I have not given any extra nutes (other than what is in the miracle grow).

3. miracle grow has too many nutes in it, and lots of "time release" pellets to keep it that way

I'd say flush, but that may just activate more stuff. I'd really try another medium if I were you.

4. Do not flush? Thats Clearly phosphorus def and a little mag def

5. MG soil is bound to give you problems. You should avoid any soil with time release ferts.

Transplant into a complete organic soil from lowes, home depot, or preferably from a local hydro shop.

6. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Any tips for transplanting a plant this small? I'm worried about damaging the small roots it has. Should I still make sure to get all of the residual soil off with roots that small?

7. If you can get any mg soil out of the root ball without damaging any roots I would, but it's not entirely necessary.

Dig around the pot until you can take out the root ball without tugging and snapping roots.

8. Well, I tested the run off after watering and the pH was 8 :eek:. Could this pH level lead to nutrient block for this plant? I am thinking of flushing with ~pH=6 water to get the pH level down. Is it bad to go flush the soil pH down quickly? Should I do it in steps or is it ok to flush until I am around 6.5?

9. You can foilar feed until you get your soil straightened out..also hope you plant to use more lighting

10. Hmm, I'll look into foliar feeding now.

Also, I have a hood I built with a 400 watt HPS lighting system I plan to put this in when it was more mature. I just hope to get this figured out so it gets to that point :eek:

11. Lower the PH of your water to 5.5 or so, water slowly until you get close then switch to 6.3 aiming for 6.2 for your runoff.
    I used MG but mixed with FF and plain soil to grow in without problems. Note, what worked for me and the strains I am growing may not work for your strains.

12. Thanks! That answered my question perfectly. Also, my strain is an auto Ploar Express (should have mentioned that earlier)

13. Any recommendation on foliar feeding solutions? I am searching the forum now, but some of what has been mentioned I would have to order and wouldn't have quick access too. I am looking for something I can go pick up from a garden store/Home Depot tomorrow and use tomorrow night.

14. [quote name='"DoctaJ"']Any recommendation on foliar feeding solutions? I am searching the forum now, but some of what has been mentioned I would have to order and wouldn't have quick access too. I am looking for something I can go pick up from a garden store/Home Depot tomorrow and use tomorrow night.[/quote]

Fox farm. Or other kinds of nutes are sold are local hydro stores even supermarkets like ralyes. Ralyes even sells fox farm soils.

15. Sweet, a relatively local hydro store sells FoxFarm Grow Big liquid plant food :hello:. Much appreciated for the heads up...I would have been searching for what to buy for the rest of the night, lol.

16. [quote name='"DoctaJ"']

Sweet, a relatively local hydro store sells FoxFarm Grow Big liquid plant food :hello:. Much appreciated for the heads up...I would have been searching for what to buy for the rest of the night, lol.[/quote]

Get the big bloom too. With the low NPK you couldn't burn your plants an can use for both veg and flower. And it's all organic!

17. Got both of them today...just sprayed with the big grow now (1/2 teaspoon in a gallon of water as instructed). I will update in the next coming days how the plant is doing. I appreciate all the help everyone, you guys and gals are awesome :gc_rocks:

18. [quote name='"DoctaJ"']

Got both of them today...just sprayed with the big grow now (1/2 teaspoon in a gallon of water as instructed). I will update in the next coming days how the plant is doing. I appreciate all the help everyone, you guys and gals are awesome :gc_rocks:[/quote]

BE CAREFUL!! I said go 1/4 of what they recommend but you should be alright. !

19. That was on their label for foliar feeding :confused: (1/2 teaspoon/gallon as opposed to 2 teaspoons/gallon)

20. [quote name='"DoctaJ"']

That was on their label for foliar feeding :confused: (1/2 teaspoon/gallon as opposed to 2 teaspoons/gallon)[/quote]

Yea when. introducing nutrients to the plant you want to take it slow at first. But you should be ok mate! My bad not reading correctly!