Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Improving my Grandma's quality of life

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by nerdboytoker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Within the year my grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer after a lifetime of smoking tobacco (no surprise there) and is suffering because of it (even with or especially because of the pharmaceutical drugs her doctor has her on)

Although both of her children and most of her grandchildren smoke cannabis she has always been against it. because of her social and political views she cannot look past the decades of lies spewed about cannabis to see what her children have been telling her: Cannabis could drastically improve the quality of her remaining time.

I feel that the only way she will consider our proposition is if she is presented with case studies from people like her who used to frown on cannabis use until it's medical benefits became a personal reality.

so what I am asking is this: does anyone have any links to studies that have been done, forums where she can hear stories from people her age (mid 70s) who were skeptical but are now advocates, etc.

I have searched myself and have some good findings but would love your input. This forum has always been really helpful.

THANKS in advance.

2. #2 tharedhead, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
    I'm a senior citizen (but not 70-yet) Since you are in an MMJ state-if you check with local advocacy groups, you could find patients in her age group to talk to her IRL.

From Granny Storm Crow's most excellent list:

CANCER- LUNG

Antineoplastic activity of cannabinoids
    Antineoplastic activity of cannabinoids

Delta(9)-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration
    Unbound MEDLINE | Delta(9)-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. Journal article

Smoking Cannabis Does Not Cause Cancer Of Lung or Upper Airways
    CCRMG

No association between lung cancer and cannabis smoking in large study
    IACM-Bulletin

Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic
    Medical News: ATS: Marijuana Smoking Found Non-Carcinogenic - in Hematology/Oncology, Lung Cancer from MedPage Today

CLAIM #4: MARIJUANA CAUSES LUNG DISEASE
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Exposing Marijuana Myths

Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells
    Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors
    Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors

Anti-Tumor Effects
    Anti-Tumor Effects

Cannabinoids Induce Cancer Cell Proliferation via Tumor Necrosis Factor {alpha}-Converting Enzyme (TACE/ADAM17)-Mediated Transactivation of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor
    Cannabinoids Induce Cancer Cell Proliferation via Tumor Necrosis Factor {alpha}-Converting Enzyme (TACE/ADAM17)-Mediated Transactivation of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor -- Hart et al. 64 (6): 1943 -- Cancer Research

Anticancer activity of cannabinoids
    [BOT] Anticancer activity of cannabinoids (Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 55, No. 3, September 1975, pp.597-602)

3. Oh my BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much. these are exactly what I was looking for. Grasscity delivers again.

4. Also, while GC is a most excellent site, I somehow doubt that it would be your grandma's "cup of tea". There is another site that she might find a bit more "grown up"- greenpassion.org There are quite a few "older ladies" there and several people with various cancers, so I am sure she would be able to find someone to connect with intellectually. GP is even run by a woman who goes by J-Angel.

And thanks, Red, for posting the studies- I really appreciate it. So many sites, so little time! ;)

Granny :wave: