Improve my writing?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Vyndian, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Whatup blades, so I'm back in school ad taking a writing class this semester. Basically I'm just wondering how I can improve my writing, academic wise.

2. Screw the Teacher/Professor !

OK, Really...Learn and use 2 new words every day

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you're majoring in a more creative or humanities area of college, smoke mad weed for inspiration/creativity/innovative thoughts BUT don't forget that might make you pass out, so drink a shit ton of coffee. or you may be lucky enough to have a friend with "addie," and can bum one offa him/her. If you're more of a businessy/economic/biology thing- just pop a few more "study aid pills" than the creatives would.

hahah- SORRY i sound like the biggest douche. I'm not really serious about the above, I just know that was truly how I thought I'd be able to make it in the world as a student last semester and the one before (withdrew from the Spring semester), and it's def fucked with me. still smoke-but know when to draw the limit, is my advice for you and what I'm striving for in 2013.
    the link below is a pretty good article. the Tutoring or Writing Centers are usually pretty good @ most colleges, too. (And so are youtube videos- for real!)

Five tips to improve writing in college | USA TODAY College

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Honestly read some well written books. I use to read all the time before to much technology was introduced to my life and my writing ability has always been at a higher level than the majority of my classmates. I've bullshitted entire reports but my fancy words and what not got me good grades.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Practise makes perfect

• Like Like x 1
  6. I just read quite a bit and notice that it transfers over nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. This. Read. Read everything and it improves your writing tremendously. I love to read, always have, and I'm a good writer as well. Coincedence? I think not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Read and write as much as you can, from as many different sources/styles as possible.

And most importantly: Do your thing. Fuck the rules.

9. read a lot,write short stories,take books out the library about writing that will give you advice & tips an just do your very best :3 hope this helps! I love writing to an have a lot of work an improvement to put in :p

10. i posted a thread similar to this...

check it out!

11. OP is 4 years old yo he's probably not even in school anymore..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Make it personal no ones want to read cookie cutter stories

• Like Like x 2
  13. I dont mean to be a downer but, it sounds like you are not premed material, the sciences. My guess is you want to write/ or lets say a liberal arts degree. I didnt learn how to write dispite the fem nazi english professors pushing me. I thought joining a forum would help me by practicing my skills. Im still at the same level i was 17 years ago. But i have to add, i hate reading and it has to be something i really want to learn. Good luck. I hope you succeed with your dream. Peace

Sent from my SM-G920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Read, read and read the kind of literature you are hoping to produce yourself. I am - among other things - university trained writer in my native language,

15. Lol fuck off spammer reported:thumbsup:

16. #17 topazann, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    To get better at writing, you need to practice regularly, so a daily writing session is key. Keep goal chart and write two pages (500 words) on a topic of your choosing. It doesn't have to take long; the more you practice, you'll realize you can crank out 500 words in a half-hour or less.

What should you write? You're writing an essay here. Non-fiction. On any topic you desire. It can be "Why Manchester United Is Obviously Better Than Arsenal In Every Way Possible" or "Kinds of Birds I Like" or "My Feelings On My Dad's Drinking" or "The Color Green" or whatever.

17. This's the only thing I've ever noticed improves my writing.

I say everything out loud before I put it down on paper to make sure it's natural and not awkward more conversational.

I think it helps the reader relate to know that you've said it to yourself out loud before.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Read more and practice!

19. Oh look Marley the cocksucker is back.