Impossibility of Intropspection

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Tikiman6, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Hey guys I got baked and started thinking. I believe that the mind is a tool meant to observe things physically and mentally. However, when you turn the tool of observing on itself, you observe the observer, which is observing the observer, and so on and so forth in an infinite regress. Trying to examine something against itself results in nothing of feedback. I therefore think that the human experience is impossibly subjective, and that introspection is impossible in and of itself. You can observe how you observe things, but since you can't observe yourself you are very limited in learning about yourself mentally.

2. RE: 5 hits of Lysergic Acid Diethylimide .

i agree man, its kind of like the double slit experiment. alone, the act of observing causes a shift in perception. it is impossible to observe ourself through something other than the subjective nature of our logic and thought process. our view of ourself is, most certainly, different than everyone elses POV.

3. You can observe yourself, just don't limit yourself to one perception.

4. I'm just going to say... rationalize it all you want. But in the end, you get nowhere fast if you don't

KNOW THYSELF.

5. You can't know yourself. I'm saying that is impossible. You can observe how you observe things, which can tell you about yourself, but you can't KNOW THYSELF. I just don't believe it is possible.

You can say I'm just trying to rationalize.... well something (I'm not sure why I would rationalize this) but this is what I believe.

6. All of these questions and ideas we come up with are merely distractions and biological/psychological tricks by our body to make us think that there is more to life than just surviving and replicating. But there isn't.

Thats the thing though, just because there is no real philosophical pont of life, if we pretend there is one for long enough, does it then exist?

Snap.

7. How can you not be so sure that this belief is a form of mass manipulation done by the man to keep us down and dumb?

8. Likewise. But you say you can't know yourself when you are this reality you believe you inhabit as a separate entity.

Your choice to conclude as you do. But we'll see farther down the road if you lose your certainty, won't we? :)

9. You can know yourself, but it cannot be deciphered in language.

Trust yourself and all is yours.