important lighting question....

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by weedisgood4433, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Alright, now lets just say I had a 36"Long x 20"Wide x 64"Tall grow space, lined with mylar. Now lets say in this grow space I have 4-6 3 gallon grow bags with soil/ferts/nutes etc... growing big bud. Would a 400 hps light putting out 55000 lumens be enough for veggin and a 400 watt MH bulb be enough for flowering, or would I need to bump up to 600 or 100 watt?

2. I think in the space your talking about a 400watt Switchable would be Perfect!

400 MH to Veg... 400 HPS to Flower. That will be plenty of light for 4-6 plants in a 4.5 sq. ft. floor plan.

3. thanks man! Thats what I was planning on getting, I am wondering though, would it be SAFE to do a grow in a grow box that is 30x19x35 with a 400 watt switchable bulb as long as I had the proper ventilation?

And if anyone else wants to comment on this, what do you think is good for a first timer, a simple hydro setup or soil? I am having mixed thoughts about it.

4. Wait, what are your actual measurements. You first post said that your height was 64". Now it is 35"? Which one is it?

For a first time grower, I would recommend soil. Much easier and more forgiving. Things happen really fast in hydro and if you aren't on top of it your plants can die in a hurry.

5. #5 weedisgood4433, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
    I am considering both options, but if I were to do the 35 inch it would prob be the hyrdo setup, so I think ill go with the 64 inch with soil. Thanks!

6. 35" probably ins't enough toom to do a start to finish grow with an HID light. So, I think you made the wise choice in opting for the 64" room. That will give you lots of good vertical space for growth throughout the process.

7. Also another stupid question, with soil, I germinate the seeds first, but can I just throw them in my soil cococair with a starting block instead of germinating them? I also read that you have to use cfls for the first week, is this true or can I still use my 400 watt MH?

8. You don't need to germinate the seeds. It is an extra step that some people do and some people don't. Just make sure you keep the soil moist and warm and you should be fine.

As for using the 400W MH on them from the start... You can, but make sure it is pretty far away. Don't worry about getting optimal light at that point. Just worry about not burning your plants.

I personally use a 150W CFL for my seedlings and it works great. Then, after a week or so they go under a 400W MH and eventually under a 400W HPS to flower. This systems works great for me, but I don't see why you couldn't skip the CFL.

9. cool! Thanks for all your help man. How high should I make the light for the first week I know for growth a 400 watt light has to be about 3 ft above ur plant so should I have it 4 or 5 feet up?