implications of the higgs field

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by dantheman52, Mar 23, 2013.

1. instead of confusing everyone with my limited knowledge on the subject, i'll just link the wikipedia page so those that don't know what the higgs field is can get a quick reference.

Higgs field - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so what do you guys think the possible implications are? especially given that the "god particle" has now been proven to exist. personally, when i first read about the higgs field, I immediately thought about the documentary "the quantum activist" and how my previously established belief that everything is connected could actually be proven scientifically. i'm not trying to make any bold claims; just looking for an intelligent discussion.

2. I believe that god particle is an unfair and inaccurate term. This field of energy formed of sub atomic particles does not create or control, it merely enables. A discovery of this sort is a huge achievement for the scientific community but also practically inevitable and about on schedule. We have barely scratched the surface of the immensity of the quantum world.

With one answer comes a thousand new questions.

3. #3 yurigadaisukida, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    Im still.confused about giw gravity works. The highs doesn't explain it at all

It explains that the higs attarches to particles slowing them down creating an effect we call mass.

But where does gravity come from?

4. Its making a connection between the famous equation

[​IMG]where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. The formula is dimensionally consistent and does not depend on any specific system of measurement units. The equation E = mc2 indicates that energy always exhibits relativistic mass in whatever form the energy takes.[2] Mass–energy equivalence does not imply that mass may be "converted" to energy, but it allows for matter to be converted to energy. Mass remains conserved (i.e., the quantity of mass remains constant), since it is a property of matter and also any type of energy. Energy is also conserved. In physics, mass must be differentiated from matter. Matter, when seen as certain types of particles, can be created and destroyed (as in particle annihilation or creation), but a closed system of precursors and products of such reactions, as a whole, retain both the original mass and energy throughout the reaction.

The rest is obvious.

5. Is it?

6. Why does it matter?

7. if this doesn't matter, then i'm not sure what does, at least scientifically.

8. Because we want it too duh.

Not everyone likes science but many of.us do

9. Sorry, was a rhetorical question.

The question at hand is "How does it Matter?"

10. ah, well let me start by saying i'm not a theoretical physicist, so this is just my understanding of what's going on. if i'm wrong, someone please say something. but it matters because it redefines what we know about the universe on the most fundamental scale. as we learn more about quantum particles (particles that have to do with gravity and electromagnetism, etc) there's no telling what technological advances we could make. again, just my two cents. i'm sure there's someone else much more qualified to tell you why this matters lol.

11. LOL

LMAO

LMFAO

The Higgs Field is one how of the hows it matters. How, not Why. The Why is for God.

12. idk if i'm being trolled or what. i made it clear i wasn't an expert on the subject, just trying to start a discussion.

13. Sometimes when Im stoned, the Mad Hatter comes out of me.

Its really hard to say as even the physicists themselves are scratching their heads with this stuff.

Bosons are hard to conceptualize as it is let alone one that gives mass to other particles... :shrugg: Im still in College Algebra, I can help you with a linear function or logarithm.

Has anyone here taken Quantum Physics?