Immortality

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by .HiGhGuY., Jun 5, 2010.

1. #1 .HiGhGuY., Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this subject. I came across something and then followed a few links and its really interesting. There are people out there who think that we (humans) will acheive the technology to significantly extend our lives or even become Immortal...and sooner rather than later. And these are NOT sci-fi authors or people that belong on the funny farm, most of them are really smart people.....scientists (regular not mad), biologists, people who have a single or multiple P.H.D.'s

In fact there is this one scientist who thinks the first human to live to 1000 years old is already alive...meaning he thinks they will discover this technology within the next 30-80 years.

Then it just gets more crazy from there. One guy thinks that at some point they will have bodies made out of foglets (little nano particles) that can shape shift like the bad terminator from terminator 2. Then you could do a MIND UPLOAD and transfer your conscienceness into such a body, or a clone of yourself.

MIND UPLOADING is a crazy idea in itself. If you've ever seen the the Arnold Schwarzenegger flick "THE 6TH DAY" that is what mind uploading is. Or like in AVATAR ***SPOILER ALERT*** like at the end of the movie when dude transfers his mind into the avatars body permenantly and doesn't need his original body to be hooked up to the machine anymore...only it won't be some mystical tree goddess to make the transfer, it will be technology.

Here's a couple wiki's to check out. wether you believe in this or not, they are an interesting read.
    Life Extension
    Mind Uploading

And if you could do a mind upload there is then the philosophical question of after you Scan your mind and upload it into a new body would it still really be you? Smoke a fatty and think on that for a minute.

There are also scientists who say in the future we will be able to do brain and whole head transplants (frankenstein style). In fact, a few decades ago, scientists actually did this on dogs, and monkeys and other lab animals. They decapitated the animals head and sewed it on another's body...both with the recipients head still in place (resulting in a two headed animal) and with the recipients head removed (one headed animal). It only lived for a day i think, but that was decades ago. Imagine in another 20, 50, 100 years. you never know

What do you think about all this, think it will ever happen, think you would do it? I don't know if it will happen as soon as some people suggest, but I think at some point it will happen. At least significantly extending life spans, and possibly even making it indefinate. I would deffinately do it.

2. You are your consciousness, and I have no idea what that is.
    But hell yeah, live longer but not forever. Just long enough till we figure out if this whole heaven/hell thing is for reals, then I'm fuckin out of here!

3. I'd live forever if I could. Eternal youth obviously. Living forever and growing into a decrepid monkey skeleton after a few hundred years would kinda suck.

4. No way I would want to live forever. 40 seems like a nice age to call it quits.

5. The world is overcrowded as it is, imagine when people could live up to 300 years old.

Other than that, I'd think I'd get bored if I was alive for that long. There has to be a point when you've done everything you wanted to do with your life. Bring on death :cool:

6. In my way of thinking immortality is an illusion, an equal and opposite response to our greatest fear, death. But the way I see it, in order for life to have any meaning it must maintain its fragile essence like the vibrant colors in a butterfly's wings. So that we will cherish them and understand that they will fade away from us forever.

Eventually science will break those barriers and extend man's life indefinitely but I still can't help but conjecture about the beneficiaries of such long life and whether they will really be living? We've seen medical science at work in extreme cases by prolonging the life of the terminally ill. How life is forced to continue even if it wants to move on, but to what effect? Certainly the living and the bereaved see it a great deal differently because who wants to lose a loved one suddenly or in some other "unacceptable" scenario? But if one is unhappy now and has his/her life extended, surely and most probably wouldn't it still mean they'd be unhappy? The only difference is that they'd be living longer.

The fact is the world around us is fading, even as I type this post and you are too wherever you are living your life. Life is precious beyond my meager ability to describe and the longer we wait to appreciate it the harder it becomes. Who'd want to live in a world populated with bored, unhappy, long lived humans?

I can't help but wonder would we even consider immortality important if we were brave enough as a species to confront our fears, as one people, instead of hiding behind whatever illusion our minds can conjure up?

7. No I would not. I don't want to see how the world ends up cause we stupid humans are definetely going to FUCK this world up the ass. And anyone who you care about will die and you will live with that pain forever or maybe not time heals all pain but still no for me.

8. Yea, i would definitely go for Immortality.

I would plot the years out and become an invisible hand in mortal politics shaping the world as i see fit over 100's and 1000's of years, giving birth to 1000's of children to help me take over and rule.

9. no way... i would be miserable

10. There are a billion things to do as technology and the world advances around you. So many things to try, learn, experience.

I wouldn't be staying on Earth forever.

11. Exactly !!! Imagine hopping a few stars over, with your spaceship's hydro lab growing your food and WEED, getting baked the whole way..now thats one helluva roady.

12. Dont get me wrong... living for a couple thousand years would be fun, but we're talking about ETERNITY. Everything would eventually become pointless.

13. [​IMG]

14. Ridiculous poetics aside, I agree. One of the defining characteristics of life is the inevitable death that is attached to it.

15. I certainly do hope to be immortal.
    I certainly do not hope that it is spent here, on this planet, in this body.

I want to just be the Minds Eye forever. That would be fantastic.

16. Life without death would be meaningless.

17. I'm not talking about life, I'm talking about existence.

18. People - Watch the move "Death Becomes Her", and let me know if you still want to be immortal.

FUCK THAT.

I can't wait 'till my time is up as it is!!! :hello::hello::hello:

:wave:

(I don't give a FUCK)

19. Meaning comes from within, not without.

I could find lots of meaningful endeavors over the span of mortal history.

It would be like one of those games where you play different character classes and max out your level.

Lots of character classes to play and only more being created every day.

I would set about learning genetics, biology and botany and create a new species plant life. Make some cool giant mushrooms that are houses. Super size tree's that are apartment buildings. Dragonflies that we can ride.

I would evolve my own genetic code. I would never stop learning, creating, producing. And when i got tired, i would sleep for centuries in a stasis chamber i would eventually make, waking for decades at a time to study the new world, learn the new sciences and philosophies and civilizations and living among them again for 100's or 1000's of years until i wish to sleep again.

And let's talk stars..

There are 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy has 100 billion stars. I haz a hellafied road trip ahead of me. Imagine the day i can create a shield to move my space vehicle into a sun and watch it from the inside...cross the event horizon of a black hole, witness the birth of a star, planet, solar system and galaxy.

Learn to create my own planets....

Immortality means unlimited possibilities, nothing meaningless about that.

Silly mortals.

20. Precisely, you shouldn't be so selfish as to wish for immortality, you can accomplish great things in the median sixty or so years the average human lives these days.

Death makes way for what is to come; new lives and new experiences of your children and desecendants; you just gotta try to live great so those children can talk about you decades after you depart.

1000 years on earth would be miserable, just think of all the people you would come to love only to see them die. Terrible.