Immortality for the price of a brand new Mercedes Benz

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PHOENlX, Nov 19, 2014.

1. #1 PHOENlX, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    Life is great.
     ​

Or more precisely, being alive feels awesome. 

beautiful-nature-wallpapers-18-b-o-ibackgroundz.com.jpg

We can all agree with that, even if we have some negative ( but totally normal ) experiences from time to time. 

Our family and friends, the memories in our life and living in this fine planet with all It has to offer to Man seems such a wonderful experience.

So much so, that imagining that it can be over once and for all when we die is a terrible and frightening thought.

green.jpg

So one day, I began researching about life extension therapies and got in contact with a Cryonics corporation. They were very polite and accesible. They also showed me the fees it would cost to be cryopreserved and hopefully, when biotechnology catches up, resurrected.  

They had two offers, one standard and a premium option:

a. Whole body cryopreservation for $200,000, plus an annual fee of $700 approx.

b. Neurocryopreservation (brain only) at $ 80,000, plus an annual fee of $ 300 approx.

So, for the price of a brand new Mercedes SL-Class you could try your shot at immortality (or at least a really long life).

2012-Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-Front-Side-View.jpg

Pictured above: Immortality.

Even if we are not certain that Science could reanimate the dead, its got a higher chance of happening, as compared to when a person is buried or burned to ashes. 

And this is not even an irrational fear of death, it is a much stronger rational instinct to keep living:metal:

So denizens of GC, what would you choose?  And what are the philosophical consequences and ethical implications surrounding an immortal human? Should Humanity rebel against the Fates?

Take a hit and have it your way  :bongin:

2. I don't know..There is a bizarre religiosity to the trans-human that I haven't quite punctured. A lot of the kinks haven't been worked out yet and I don't know if the price justifies the end quite yet.

What are the diminishing returns like in keeping a body fresh? What if you're buried in the ground in a tundra, and will it that you are to be dug up and placed in a freezer when cryo is more affordable? Will the corp still accept that body for the same price?

You could say I'm still in the lobby... thinking about going up but looking out at the street, as to eliminate this situation:

[​IMG]

3. cryogenics just isnt far enough along at this point, theres no guarantee you wake up, and theres no guarantee immortality awaits you once woken up. thats ignoring all the implications of doing it, its like the ultimate rolling of the dice. you leave the world you know behind, everyone and everything you know. 

4. Nah dying sounds pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 SlightlyStonedSD, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    This is my plan. I don't want my body reanimated like a zombie, I just want to freeze my brain until they have a method of digitally preserving my brain data.

I'm hoping by the time I get old they will be close but I'm estimating about 100 years which will require brain preservation.

we might be the last generation that dies :blink:

6. If people had access to immortality this world would go to shit even quicker than it already is...

7. yeah, screw living forever.  Besides, tech to live forever will only be granted to the uber elites.  They will prob just dump your body a couple years after they freeze it and keep taking your money anyhow... if they ever even freeze it in the first place.

8. Waste of money. The spirit body lasts forever. What is your spirit body ? Ask a Pastor.

9. I prefer scientists

10. Cryogenics is complete and utter bullshit, complete freezing causes extensive cellular damage by expansion/crystallization of water/ice that cannot be survived. If we by some miracle, some day, are able to flash freeze the body almost instantaneously, then maybe. As it stands though, these people are literally paying to be thrown in a freezer and receive massive tissue trauma that probably nullifies the chance at immortality they probably didn't even have.

11. Yeah I think the future is digitally preserving the data in your brain. I'm hoping it's possible to freeze the brain or preserve it another way until the technology is there.
    ----

also if we are immortal in the form of a computer program or even a robot we wouldn't require food, water, as much space, or other resources that would make traditional concepts of immortality impossible.

shit they could even download a copy of you and send you to Mars or much further.

I remember Michio Kaku mentioning the possibility of loading your computer program onto a beam of light so you can travel the cosmos at near light speed.

[​IMG]

i'd rather have the benz..

13. #13 PHOENlX, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014

It´s natural to feel skeptic about an alien subject like cryonics. I myself feel the same way. I plan on researching more about cryonics and biotechnology so as to have a better informed opinion.The Cryonics corporation confided that it would probably take about 100 years for modern medicine to develop the ability to reanimate the non-living. They also told me that a large percentage of the money paid to the corporation goes to a ¨Resurrection fund¨ that would activate once its time to wake up.

This raises some serious questions, such as: 

a) Would I like 22nd Century Earth? Will climate change, wars and pandemics wreak havoc on earth, rendering life unpleasant?

b. What if my new world only contains traces of my previous surroundings? Will it just be too strange for a 21st century denizen?

c) Who would be there for me in the future? Will my future family have a legal binding obligation to support me economically, mentally and socially? 

d) Will I be me? Can there remain enough information and memory (like personality and tastes) in my brain after being vitrified so as to prevent a information theoric death? 

To answer your Q, I don´t believe it could be healthy for your body to be buried in a tundra if you plan on trying out the future. Just do it the right way, because anyways, Cryonics is surprinsingly affordable. Many health insurance companies pay for it. 

That´s exactly what it is right now. Its just a small chance of making it to the future, probably as of now, about 10%. Taking into account that the corporation doesn´t go bankrupt, science progress doesn´t slow down and wars don´t mess up the integrity of western society, its a risky investment for sure. Maybe the more we advanced scientifically, the higher the chances get but for now, it is what it is. 

I guess that it´s better than nothing.

Would you mind explaining to us, why exactly? 

I´m very curious as to why it could be. :)

I think very similar. We are probably within the 3-5 last generations that will biologically die. I just hope we can have a chance to make it back. 

Maybe we would be kinder to each other, more considerate to other living organisms, perhaps we would take a pause now and then and just enjoy life without worrying that it will over. We would probably plan on the long term health of our planet. Our actions would have consequences that we will have to witness, making our actions more meaningful and us more responsible. 

People nowadays don´t care much about what they do. We as a species are reckless and self destructive. Our own human nature with its limited lifespan make us prone to just live the moment and not care about tomorrow

How do you know it will be only for the elite? Maybe it won´t. 

The price of the cryonics procedure is very affordable. Most health insurance companies would pay for it. Just ask your local insurance about cryonics and what they are offering. 

How do you know this? Burden of proof on you. 

Well I can see why you say this. We usually suffer from a limited vision of the future. What is possible now would have been insane 100 years ago to any rational person from that era.
    From the corporation:
    ¨ Cryonics Myth : Cryonics freezes people.
    The current technology favored by our company is vitrification, not freezing. Vitrification is an ice-free process in which more than 60% of the water inside cells is replaced with protective chemicals. This completely prevents freezing during deep cooling. Instead of freezing, molecules just move slower and slower until all chemistry stops at the glass transition temperature (approximately -124C). Unlike freezing, there is no ice formation or ice damage in vitrified tissue. Blood vessels have been reversibly vitrified, and a whole kidney has beenrecovered and successfully transplanted with long-term survival after vitrification at a temperature of -135C.¨

I would be cool with a digital matrix-like life. But if I had the option of living in the real deal, I would pick the real life. 

Fair enough. Your grandkids could inherit it. It would be quite the spectacle in 2112.   :)

14. I said dying is cool because it is. It's the most exciting, mysterious thing there is. I don't want to be brought back into this world when I'm done. I want to die like billions have done before me and billions will. I don't get why people want to outlive the body's natural lifespan but whatever floats your boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15.  Ask a Pastor.

16. Well the idea behind the digital copy is that you can upload yourself (memories, personality, etc) onto a robot which provides your sensory input.

we can already make robots that can see, hear and touch. we need one that can smoke weed and fuck and we'll be set. :D

and you will always have your data backed up so if you fall off a cliff you can upload yourself to a new robot.

Maybe they've already been made and this is all a re-simulation of life to safely boot your consciousness onto the hardware.

Or maybe you are in a deep cryogenic sleep, on a second or third generation star-ship looking to seed another planet.

Sci-fi aside, these incredulous scenarios are partly why I find this church of the trans-human, if you will, to be a much more expensive throwback to achieving a place in the "Kingdom of Heaven". Which peculiarity is it that we are all meant to be realistically excited about? The delving into the unknown, the unconscious? Predicting certainty past the singularity at this point in time is asserting confidence over an outcome there just isn't an applicable language for yet..

18. #18 SlightlyStonedSD, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    who said anything about heaven?

19. All I'm saying is that the structure is awfully similar to that of a church. What guarantee is there that your stake in preserving life isn't obstructed by a horde of elites wanting to secure an afterlife for their pet dogs?

20. that really has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm talking about the possible technology of digitally backing up all the data that makes up your brain.

the freezing of the brain for me is just because that technology could take 100+ years and I would hate to miss it by a cunt hair lol