I'm writing a novella.

Discussion in 'General' started by MihoSayuri, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Novella; very short version of a novel.

This is for my writing class, our final is the novella.

Here's the story I've decided to write:
    A girl, by the name of Maya, had a normal childhood up until her 12th birthday, in which a traumatic event changes her life. Her life spirals downward from there; she's depressed, begins abusing drugs and sex, etcetera. At 19, she's a drug dealer and somewhat of a prostitute. One night, she takes/does some kind of drug that alters her reality and she doesn't remember anything. When she becomes sober, she finds herself locked up in a criminal psych ward. She finds out her parents have been murdered and that she is the prime suspect. In the psych ward, she finds herself a few friends and realizes that she likes it better inside the ward than in the outside world. Meanwhile, she tries to prove her innocence in her parent's murder, but before she does that, she needs to realize whether or not she really did kill her parents. But then, if she is innocent, she doesn't know whether or not she really wants to leave the psych ward.

so, what do you guys think? I'm pretty excited about it.

2. i think you should delete this thread so if your teacher runs one of the programs with your novella in it it wont show up "grasscity.com"

3. looks like a good plot. keep it up.

4. post it when you're done writing it

i wana see

5. Now is that a class topic or did you come up with that off the top of your head?

Someone (you or your professor) could be VERY talented at writing. I would actually want to read that book.

6. #6 MihoSayuri, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    I came up with it myself; we are all writing our own stories. I've got a friend writing a diary of someone in like 3,000 BC, another that had the class before and wrote a book with animals as the characters.

I doubt my teacher would care if he found this post.

And, when I finish it, we are publishing them online, so I'll post up the link; but it won't be done until May.

EDIT: and some of the plot may be subject to change. I'm pretty sure it'll stay how I said it would, but I'm one of those writers that has to change things up every once in awhile.

7. hah my older brother is really in to writing. Hes been writing a vampire novel for 5 or 6 years now. He just cant seem to decide how he wants to do it so he goes back and changes shit up over and over :)

I look foward to reading your story mane.

8. sweet, i had to write a novella for a culminating assignment, too.
    neat idea..

9. thanks guys. glad it sounds good.

the unfortunate thing is that I have to pretty much keep it PG-16.. I'm a senior in high school still, and it's a high school class.

the teacher is allowing language and mature content just as long as we keep it non-detailed and in good taste.

10. ^it's writer's craft, isn't it?

*and one word of advice.
    don't keep it for like, a week - two weeks to write.
    do-able, but fucking stressful.

11. Aw man i thought this was for a college class or some such shit. That pretty crazy. Then again I never did anything in highschool.:rolleyes:

12. yeah it sucks; but I think whatever I write, my teacher will be pretty lenient.

and yeah, I know, I'm not gonna fuck up and procrastinate writing. I'm gonna start within the next week, I know that.

13. No kidding, what kind of high school class assigns a novella? Baha, maybe a short story, but novellas typically break the 20,000 word mark. That's some hefty writing for a high school student.

14. eh, it's actually not too bad.
    my teacher gave us a little over a month to write it, i think.. and everyone completed it. hell, i procrastinated until about a week or two left and got it done... still having time to revise it and what not. got a good mark on it, too. it's a lot of words to write, but if you manage your time wisely, it actually isn't too bad a task. it's definitely work, but.. not all that bad.
    and it's fun! the end result is so rewarding.

15. #15 diogenesofdm, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    Well sure it's doable, but I mean it's kind of asking a lot from a high school student. Assuming the Microsoft Word average of 270 words per page, a 27,000 word novella is gonna be 100 pages. That's 5 pages of writing every weeknight for 4 straight weeks. Not to mention the concept/editing/proofreading stages and such. If I was going to do that kind of work, I'd make sure I was getting paid for my talent.

edit: --not that money is everything. If you're passionate you'd do it for free. But high school classes include kids not passionate about the particular subject. It'd be fine for a senior level writing assignment in college for English majors. But for high school, I'd say a short story is quite enough.

16. lol this guys right. but good storyline, maybe you can post when you have completed the whole thing.

17. but that class isn't required. basically you take it if you enjoy writing or are going to get into something involving writing or english heavily in college and what not..

18. Don't get me wrong, fiction is fiction... but you might want to rein your idea in a bit, it's a little grandiose in scale for an assignment like this, what with the murder mystery/incarceration/teen angst plot lines.

19. We have until May to finish it.

the class is writing II, so anyone who is in it is pretty passionate about writing.

Foop; why do you think it's grandiose? 30,000 words are required and I'm very excited about writing it.